Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
241 - 260 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I admit I will miss the "experts" at TSN and SN when DAZN takes over the Premier League next year ... On another note, I hope DAZN will continue to use Peter Drury and the other announcers who have been doing the Premier League.
I'm sure DAZN will do its own pre- and post-game shows and hopefully they use some British talent who will be better than anyone TSN or SN employed. On the opposite spectrum, if DAZN hire their own commentators who are calling it off a TV in a studio instead of using the world feed like TSN and SN did, I'll be upset.

·
Registered
355 Posts
DAZN on a TV screen

Looking for some hardware help for non-technical in-laws here:
What works best for bringing DAZN to a TV screen?
I'm thinking a Sony BDP-S1700 blueray player (which they half-need anyway) with hard-wired browsing ability.
(They're not keen on plugging in their Apple notebook to the TV).
Any recommendations of other ways?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you have a Smart TV, you should be able to track down the DAZN app. Otherwise, you can use Apple TV or Roku receiver to get DAZN. I don't see why you would need a Blu-ray at all. I prefer Apple TV because the layout is better, at least for soccer.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I put together an old Windows 7 laptop I bought for $100 on Kijiji for an elderly relative to run DAZN and a bunch of other streaming services (TSN Go, SN Now, some European Soccer links) through FireFox.

I setup a bunch of icons on the desktop, and bought them a wireless trackball and keyboard combo to use as a remote, and hardwired the laptop to their internet connection.

The love it - simple to use for them, and they can get everything they want in one place easily. Also they can use it for web browsing and basic internet functions like banking and email on a big screen.

They were use to using Windows computers, so I thought it was the easiest and cheapest solution for them instead of trying to get them to use Android, Apple TV or Roku which has a bit of a learning curve.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
It's on the Amazon Fire stick as well.

For simplicity and stability, I love the Roku Ultra - though you do need wifi (don't you need that for a BD player?). But they only seem to have the Roku stick in Canada now - though it's got the same remote (which I far prefer to the Amazon one).

Oh, there's a $45 device now at Best Buy - https://bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/roku-express-media-streamer-with-remote/12298042

·
Registered
355 Posts
DAZN on a TV screen

Thanks Waterug, Inglewood, Pinto, Nfitz.
Think I'll explore further with Firestick and Apple TV. In-laws are Apple fans, but cost conscious. They have a dumb TV and an old DVD/VHS. Bell 25/10 service. Trying to give them a low-cost non-tech solution.
Cheers.

Reactions: Inglewood and nfitz

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Craig Forrest who is an icon in Canadian soccer, made our Saturday mornings exciting for many years. He is no longer with Sportsnet along with some journalist and TV host James Sharman. Loved the sportsnet crew for PL coverage.

Wonder if DAZN will have pre/post game shows.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm the exact opposite - hated the Canadian crew as they were just talking heads in a studio - prefer to have actual experts at the pitch and working in the stadiums in England. The SN crew was OK - but found it a second rate product.

I wouldn't watch the CFL with announcers from the UK, and I prefer to watch PL with announcers from England/Wales.

I'm a Sheffield supporter anyways...I'm still just happy to see them in the PL this season and would watch the matches anyway I could get them - but I'm looking forward to the full PL experience with the UK based broadcasting teams.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Is DAZN really hurting Canadian Media after taking over PL? Dismiss of Journalist and TV hosts in the past few days.
Sportsnet seems to simply be exiting soccer. All their soccer coverage has slowly vanished over the years - I think all that's left is Bundesliga, and I assume that's because they still have a contract that hasn't expired yet.

Given that neither DAZN nor Sportsnet (or anyone) purchased some of the recent UEFA stuff, it's not simply that they are being outbid. Given that Rogers partially owns TFC, it's not conceivable that they have zero broadcasts of TFC anymore was out of their control!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Is DAZN really hurting Canadian Media after taking over PL? Dismiss of Journalist and TV hosts in the past few days.
No. Why would Sportsnet keep around two soccer TV hosts when they no longer have any soccer to televise? A giant waste of money. Their main online scribe John Molinaro also got ****-canned, but there's nothing of value lost with him.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Wonder what' s gonna happen to the TSN guys?
Luke Wileman is a pretty good play by play guy, and KJ is probably the best analyst in North America. Right now they have MLS (or at least TFC and Vancouver games). But surely that's not enough to keep them gainfully employed?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
@PFD - most of the guys on TSN that do some of the less popular sports have lots of gigs. Jason Portuondo is an example I see from horse racing - he covers Canadian horse racing on both TSN and Sportsnet, and also has part-time gigs at CHCH in Hamilton covering sports and general interest stories.

I think Jason busts his butt - and hopefully his hard work pays off with a full time job in the industry one day. There are several other women and men I see occasionally on TSN, SN, and even CBC that bounce around from channel to channel, sport to sport, and maintain a career.

A lot of these reporters also get gigs for events like the Olympics - they may not be experts, but can talk and present well on TV for other sports on a temporary basis. I also hear them on various sports radio stations (sometimes American and British shows) - I am not sure if they get paid for these appearances or not - but they provide professional commentary and each time someone hears them may be an opportunity for career advancement.

TV sports is a tough business - but those who work hard, present well, and have knowledge stick around through the years.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Wonder what' s gonna happen to the TSN guys?
Luke Wileman is a pretty good play by play guy, and KJ is probably the best analyst in North America. Right now they have MLS (or at least TFC and Vancouver games). But surely that's not enough to keep them gainfully employed?
Nothing will happen to them. They have plenty of MLS coverage to keep them busy plus all FIFA tournaments and Euro. Wileman also does other sports occasionally such as rugby.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
DAZN announced yesterday about sub-licensing German Football (Bundesliga) from EuroSport in Germany & Austria. DAZN will be streaming live EuroSports 1 and 2 in Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain. I wonder if same deal can happen with Sportnet World?

241 - 260 of 403 Posts