Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
221 - 240 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
@oaky7 - I would recommend using an Ethernet cable. Most TV's produce some interference with WiFi signals. I know with my situation, if my box is near the TV and I'm using WiFi, it doesn't work well at all. If I move my box about 10ft away, it works fine on WiFi - however, doesn't make for a clean setup. I've gone to Ethernet cables for all my devices near my TV.

DAZN does have issues, but trying the Ethernet option (even just plug a wire in for a couple days before committing to it to see if it works better) will let you know if your WiFi isn't at full strength near your TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had the same problem with DAZN this year. I have an Ethernet cable running from my modem to my TV and Red Zone got so bad on Sunday I had to turn it off. I have no problem with MLB At Bat. Really disappointed in DAZN.
I ordered the NHL streaming service today and so far everything is fine.

·
Super Moderator
20,064 Posts
Not sure what Sportsnet and TSN are doing; but I guess they're giving up on soccer
Bell Media had a recent press release that said they a multi-year broadcast agreement for half of all games from the PREMIER LEAGUE. That agreement probably expires in 2019. DAZN might have just outbid them.

The same press release says Bell Media’s CTV, TSN, and RDS own exclusive Canadian media rights to the FIFA World Cup package through to 2026 and they have MLS coverage.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
PL might still be on TV since there is no confirmation from any of the major networks including DAZN. Something like Serie A which is between DAZN and TLN.

PL is adding more 3:00 PM games on Saturdays starting next season for growing the game in North and South America. I think PL is probably the most popular league for soccer in Canada and not being on TV is a huge step down. At the same time, Amazon Prime bought some of the PL games in UK, so it's not really a surprise to have the games on digital platform media (if they pay more) for countries where the league is not that popular.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Yes, it's official. I dono how to feel about that since for the past 20 years or so, every Saturday or Sunday morning/afternoon, I watched the games on Sportsnet.

Wonder what will happen to all the talent TSN and sportsnet have for soccer coverage. What will happen to Sportsne Wrold?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, there really is little talent with the presenters on SN & TSN, so they won't be missed too much, by me at least!

Having not used DAZN before, I wonder if they will have all live games on at the same time, is that how they work?

And the $150.00 yearly fee is cheaper than the current cost of SportsnetWorld, with a lot more sports on offer.

It'll be an interesting move, for sure, and fingers crossed the quality of presentation and streams is up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes I have mixed feelings too. Especially I'm gonna have to get my dad z(who is retired and on a pension)a good computer and unlimited Internet now, so no savings for him.
I don't understand why they sell Internet and TV rights in one bundle. I wonder if TSN/Sportsnet even put up a fight. I mean if TLN can argue for TV rights for Serie A, why they couldn't make a similar agrument for TSN/Sportsnet. Even for 1 game on Saturday and one on Sunday. I'm beginning to think Sportsnet/TSN are no longer interested in soccer; which explains why they also lost Champions League and arent' interested in running any Euro qualifiers.

As far as Sportsnet World. That was a shadow of what it was when it started up anyways, and hasn't been worth the money, IMO. Regarding the talent. I wonder if people like KJ will move over to DAZN? Who knows?

Anyway, overall I'm disappointed with this.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
With DAZN, you are given a menu to choose what sport you want to watch and then you can pick which live or previous game you want to watch.
DAZN is not just one channel.

So for things like the NFl which has 8 games on at once, you just pick the game - wait for it to buffer for a few seconds and away you go.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is their announcement I received via email. It says all games will be available live (and I presume on-demand). They will also have other content.

DAZN is proud to announce that it will be the exclusive home of the Premier League for the next three seasons starting this August with the 2019-20 campaign. As part of your subscription you will have live access to all 380 matches per season — a first for Canadians!

That’s not all. Our coverage extends beyond kick-off and final whistle, bringing you closer to the Premier League than ever before with a library of On-Demand content, such as Premier League highlights, previews, weekly magazine programs, and archival footage.
I will definitely be cancelling my Sportsnet World subscription at the end of May.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Regarding the talent. I wonder if people like KJ will move over to DAZN? Who knows?
I doubt it as DAZN uses their own talent based in the UK.

Yes I have mixed feelings too. Especially I'm gonna have to get my dad z(who is retired and on a pension)a good computer and unlimited Internet now, so no savings for him.
My dad watches DAZN on his TV with a Chromecast and iPad. We also share the same account as DAZN allows 2 streams from different IPs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DAZN and Buffering

I've used the search function and I can't really find much about this and that was surprising seeing as I've seen it elsewhere.

Since DAZN won the rights for Champions League and Europa League matches (TSN's loss) I've been relying on 'dodgy' streams with the usual mixed results. But they're becoming less reliable to the point that last week they were unwatchable.

So I signed up with DAZN. Today was my first day.

The picture quality was worse than past streams have been but of a level at which, had it been free, I would have said "well it's acceptable if there is no buffering or other cut-outs."

But it was literally buffering every few seconds. Only for a few seconds but really no better than 10 seconds running. And every 4 or 5 reloading circles, it cut out completely to a black screen with the 'play' button and then it would eventually restart but follow the same pattern.

After about 20 minutes it settled down and only buffered every few minutes.

During this period I had opened (individually) my previous streams and they were as bad as they have been buffering-wise, but better picture quality. I also noticed that DAZN was running behind.

Since the unofficial streams were no more watchable I stuck with DAZN and then noticed the option to go back or forwards by 30 seconds.
Eight times I went forwards and I saw 8 lots of 30 seconds on the match clock on screen. That's how much it lost from buffering.

I tried the alternative live game. Buffering was still an issue and the picture quality was no better.

Is this shoddy service from DAZN in general, or just live action or just soccer?

I have BellAliant fibe with great downloads speeds and unlimited bandwidth.

At $20 a month it's not that expensive - but, of course, there's no reduction in TSN costs for the reduced service - but with today's experience I may cancel before payment is due and go back to dodgy streams.

DAZN has exclusive rights to the English Premier League next season and I'm not looking forward to that one bit if this is anything to go by.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've had DAZN for almost a year and I've never had any trouble with picture quality or streaming. Perhaps your internet connection is at fault. I admit I will miss the "experts" at TSN and SN when DAZN takes over the Premier League next year but DAZN is far superior to either TSN or SN. You can watch any match live or replay and you even have the option of just looking at game highlights rather than the entire match. This is a quick way of catching up on the various European leagues on Saturday or Sunday. I hope after next year DAZN will pick up the Bundesligue. On another note, I hope DAZN will continue to use Peter Drury and the other announcers who have been doing the Premier League.

221 - 240 of 403 Posts