Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Frugal is good but more recently, I have had the chance to see a lot of monitors.

I really think getting a monitor with digital inputs is important. I'm also convinced that if you're going to be using it lot in the next 5 to 10 years, then spending an extra $50 to $100 is well worth it.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
You probably want DVI and a better quality display than Daytek offers. When I purchased, I checked reviews on the web by searching with Google and looked for a good quality monitor at a good price. There are much cheaper places to buy monitors than FS and BB. Check out Staples, Costco, Sams club, Dell.com and the weekly sales at NCIX.com. Samsung, Viewsonic and Dell have some of the best monitors. Samsung some high response time monitors that are good for gaming.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree that spending a little more on a monitor is worth it. Your eyes will thank you.

The Dell monitors are real beauties. Mine has vga and dv-i inputs as well as 4 usb 2.0 jacks (2 in the back and 2 on the side). The side ones are very handy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Monitor

Don't get that Dell. The 20ms response time could have brutal ghosting on games or movies if you play any. Try to get one with 12ms response or less.

I've had good luck with Samsung and Viewsonic. No dead pixels with these guys.

If you live in the Vancouver area check out ATIC Computers http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=Products&cat=11 as they generally have the best prices in town.

For a budget monitor try this one http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=16772 It is a $285 17" with DVI input and also has built in speakers if you need them plus it is 8ms response time.

I highly recommend bumping up to a 19" monitor rather than a 17". In the long run you will be much happier.

Regards,
Dan the HDTV Man

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dell monitor USB's

heybirder said:
I agree that spending a little more on a monitor is worth it. Your eyes will thank you.

The Dell monitors are real beauties. Mine has vga and dv-i inputs as well as 4 usb 2.0 jacks (2 in the back and 2 on the side). The side ones are very handy.
Fully agree that the monitor quality is a key component...Heybirder, also have the Dell 1905FP with USB connectors, but have not managed to make them work...currently connected VGA only as was suggested....is there anything to be done to activate the USB connectors?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I have the 1905FP and use the USB ports on it. All I did was attach the usb cable that came with the monitor to a free one on the computer. Windows finds it as another USB root hub I believe. No special software or tweaking was needed. I made sure my bios is up to date and service pack 2 is installed. I need to find some real world reviews on this monitor for gaming might be buying 2 for home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts