Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they giving Dave Devall of CTV Toronto (CFTO), weatherman for 50+ years the "send off" on Monday?

I got the impression from the promo shown first on Friday and throughout the weekend that shows him walking onto the news stage through a door (with over exposed light :eek:!) and the whole director 'cues' heard that his days are numbered and this was his last walk onto the news desk floor.

By far the best weatherperson in the GTA/Buffalo area and has been doing it for the years to prove it. CTV has been going through cost cutting so perhaps this is another step towards this with the hiring of the new weather girl (Michelle Leslie), move of Anwar Knight from weekend to nights.

I thought in the early fall that Dave was in fact gone as he was absent for nearly 2 months and I thought no one leaves their job for that long but they 'covered' with vacation but perhaps could have been sick leave for all we know. Then he mysteriously came back. Perhaps they tried to force him out but he had to come back for a period of time and then phase him out with a celebratory way. The anchor people seem to love Dave along with the viewers so I can't see why.

Perhaps CTV will cancel the morning and noon news as Global has announced and move Tom Brown to evening news (gawd! that guy is too cheery. he must be on meds! :rolleyes: )

Looks like they are pulling a Tom Gibney and will probably have him come back once and while to fill in.

This is all speculation and I guess we will find out on Monday.

Sad to see him go if this is the case but I guess everybody has to retire at some point. :D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the CTV newscast tonite had a special guest 'Dave Devall' on just before the new weather girl Michelle Leslie was to do the weather. She offered for him to do the weather (how touching yet so cheesy) and he said that's alright as if he was passing the torch on to her.

Anyway, it looks like he was probably coming back from a party in Milton and heading home.

She was in such glee that she met and was touched by Dave Devall... what like you haven't met him previously at the news room? geesh.

This kinda reaffirms my hunch.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well, I hate to see Dave go, but he's had a good run, and a great weatherman at that. It really is time to give it to someone else.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps after 50+ years, he's simply retiring?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I wonder if a guy like him makes a lot more money than someone younger, considering his seniority. From the outside, it seems to me a "weatherman" isn't even necessary, as they could just read out the latest Environment Canada report.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Dave Devall: a living legend, same hair style over the years, same voice, same presentation, different technology, different golf pants... :)

I guess this means Gord Martineau becomes the "dean" of regularly-scheduled Toronto TV personalities now? Anyone been on the air full time longer in that market than Gord?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree with bolmsted: Tom Brown is the biggest pain in the butt to watch on morning TV. Horrible delivery style. I would crawl across a room full of broken glass in my bare butt to turn him off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually look forward to when it's going to rain, just so I can see Dave draw the umbrella on the see-through glass - with the space for his hand...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts