Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some suggestions on some different DACs.

I currently have a pair of Alesis MKII Active monitors and I don't want to replace them. Up until now I was running the audio out from my various devices to a small Yamaha mixing console but the problem now is that almost all of my new gear only has optical out. If possible I would love to replace the mixer with a DAC that has optical in and XLR out, or I could leave the mixer if I can find a decent DAC that only has RCA or 1/4" out.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was considering the Tubemagic D1 Plus, but it doesn't have XLR out and I can't really find that much about it online. I was also looking at something from TEAC, I just don't want to spend too much otherwise it might make more sense to just accept the fact that I am going to have to replace my speakers with a new system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Audioengine?
They have wireless DAC's for applications like you describe (RCA out).
I use the DAC/Headphone Amp and like it, but that's USB-in..

·
Registered
721 Posts
Behringer UCA202

....and avoid "audiophile" forums where you will be convinced that you need to spend several hundred dollars to get anything decent.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I am very late to this thread / subject.

But I found myself in a "similar" situation. Recently.

Wanted to connect a newer TV to my retro Stereo system - for MUCH better sound.
[ Crappy little speakers in flat screen TV's now, and sub-par/weak/ audio amp / audio section of TV ... TV's now in general. ]

Don't care for the expense and added complexity of a full 5.1 surround system - with new Amp and speakers "And all that extra CRAP and NONSENSE" all around the room.
Just want 2 really good speakers - L and R stereo - on either side of the TV. And don't want a "sound bar"
Wanna use my existing sound system. Dual purpose as a stereo system, and HDTV sound system. With big excellent retro 3 way speakers - in nice heavy wooden cabinets. 12" base speaker, mid and tweeter - which are placed on either side of the TV.

But my retro stereo system / Amplifier Tuner - has NO digital inputs. No SPDIF inputs / No Optical Digital input / No Coaxial digital audio input.

And the new HDTV - has *NO* useful ANALOG audio output. No RCA line level analog audio output. Not even a headphone output.

[ and you will find practically NO new TV's now - offer a simple analog audio output. Boo. I asked at Best Buy "do you sell ANY TV with that?" Ans: NO. And the look of "Where the heck are you coming from ... the stone age or what"

My thought: Maybe some manufacturer/model out there still offers that ... not sure. But BOO ! ]

So I searched the net for something simple and inexpensive / reasonable in cost - for what I wanna do.

Best Buy had, on the rack:

A small unit: Insignia NS-HZ313-C that converts Optical or Coaxial audio out of TV - to simple RCA line level analog L R stereo - to feed to a free input ["Tape 2 Monitor" RCA input] on my excellent sounding retro stereo system.

It was about $40 plus tax - coming to around $45 total with taxes.
And it was on the rack - in stock - off the shelf - in the Best Buy store.

So far works GREAT. Simple.

Sounds great too.
Just from listening carefully - on a pretty good stereo:
Noise is VERY low - almost un-noticeable. (very low white noise / hiss).
Sound Quality is very good.
And the electrical LEVEL of the Line Level output is - I would say - "Correct" ( you don't have to crank the volume of the stereo way up - to get the right volume out of the speakers. Is about "right" "correct" - comparing to other sound sources to the stereo. )