Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has any experience with these screens? Was looking at the High Contrast Cinema Vision (da lite) and this one isnt a TON more....

if anyone has any opinions on the two it would be very helpful!

·
Registered
144 Posts
JKP Affinity: great screen, but be very careful of which projector you put with it and your room environment.

I've calibrated a few projectors on it. You cannot:

1) have a room with windows
2) have lightly painted walls (light will be bounced back to the screen)
3) have a low light output projector (unless you use a small screen)
4) have a large screen size with a low light output projector

Eg.) Panasonic PT-AEXXXX on a 110" Affinity is not a good choice. Using correct modes like Cinema or Color 2, maximum light output is only about 6fL. Not bright at all. "Torch mode" in Normal only generates about 8fL and your trade off is terrible gamma, terrible grayscale tracking, and colours that don't conform to Rec.709 (can you tell I wasn't happy with this combination?)

In the end, really do your research in regards to adding a projector or seek a dealer who is competent in doing it for you...but even that can be hard to find...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Mike.

i was looking at the 106" version paired with the Epson 8500ub. this will be going in a basement with 3 reasonably sized windows, but they will have california shutters on them which should block out 90% (or more) of the light coming through....and if that isnt enough, i will get curtains to cover them! :)

walls havent been painted yet, but we were looking at darker colours anyways....

have you set up an epson with this screen? i was looking at the new 1.1 version of it....

thanks again

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quentin

The 8500UB has better blacks and is a bit brighter and sharper. Plus you won't have to worry about green blobs/dust plaguing your image (Panasonic, after um, 8 or so years of this still hasn't figured this one out yet!) The screen is a fine choice, no doubt, for whatever projector you have now and in the future. The Epson will provide a satisfying image on it, just not as bright as digital cinema standards (14fL). After calibration, you should be able to get about 10fL out of it on that sized screen (if you mount the projector closer you'll squeeze out a bit more - at a mild expense of geometry). The Epson is still a low light output projector, so unless you are willing to spend double or triple on the projector, you'll be limited to this with this screen coating and at this size. Don't get me wrong - it's not terrible. You'll get a little bit of a boost with a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen, especially with a bit of light trickling in the room. Or if you reduce your screen size, up goes your light output. Any reason why you are looking at the Affinity or is that what the dealer recommended?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the dealer i was talking to was saying that he just replaced his HC cinema vision (which is what i originally was looking at) with the jkp and loves it. the difference in price from what i can get the HC CV for and what he was offering the JKP for was around $350....

he didnt have one set up in the showroom yet (they had it there, but not mounted) so i didnt have any way of seeing it.

The reality is that i started out looking at 400-600 screens (elite and grandview) and have made it up to where i am now. at some point i just have to say enough is enough!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quintin

Let me say one thing: the JKP Affinity is a reference screen, no doubt about it. I've seen it in action many times and it's amazing. There is no hotspotting (brighter middle, darker edges), little to no alteration of colour from projector to screen, and because of all of this the uniformity from edge-to-edge is incredible (basically video looks the same edge to edge). In order to achieve this it won't be as bright as a screen with gain (like the HC-CV), but the screen with gain will deliver more light to the viewer while adding the negative effects I mentioned above (plus some sparkle/shimmer at closer distances). I'm just hoping the dealer informed you correctly to make a decision good for you, so you know what to expect once all set up. I hate going into a setup where clients were misinformed from dealers or the internet (mostly the internet, but that's no surprise)...

Let me know what you decide to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts