Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just recently had Fiber Op installed and it came with the r3000. I have the one gig down package but my speeds are no where near that. I've also had a drop in connectivity so I've had two technicians in the last few days come and take a look. After moving the Actiontec around and changing channels and limiting all interference the two technicians ran out of options.The last technician suggested using another router and that is how I found this website.

I went out today and bought D-Link ac3200 and I am wondering what are the best option to set this thing up on. I currently have my actiontec next to my tv / box in my living room and one box in my bedroom that is using the IPTV setup. Im not sure if I can do IPTV with the Dlink ? Im willing to get rid of the box in my bedroom at the expense of good wifi.

Im not so savy with networking but willing to read, and it seems like the Advanced DMZ is the easiest to setup, is that my best option ?

Thank you kindly

·
Registered
464 Posts
OK, new router aside for a second...

When I read the first part of your post, I was intrigued until I read about "moved router around and changed channels and limited interference"

Are you testing your speeds on wireless? You will "NEVER" get a 1GB downstream over a wireless connection. You also state that you don't get anywhere near what you should. What speeds are you getting? I am 100% certain that if you post what speeds you are getting, there are probably others here with the 1GBps service that will chime in with "oh yea, me too - do this" kind of thing.

If your computer/laptop is new and you are certain that it has a Gigabit (10/100/1000) ethernet port on it, plug directly into the Actiontec and see what you get for speeds. Be sure to disable your wireless to make sure that it truly IS going over the hard line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My computer has ac network adapter that can do close to a gig down wireless it says. I have gotten to 350 megs down wireless, but the main issue I have been having is loss off connectivity and extreme variance in download speed. I could run a speed test once and get over 300 wireless than 10 seconds later only get 10 megs. So I looked for what channels other people in my condo building use and the tech from Bell moved the router to what he felt was a better location. When I plug directly into the actiontec I can get around 600-780 down on my best speed runs. I am hoping to eliminate any variance in my speeds with a new router is my main goal.

I currently have the new router hooked up as Advanced DMZ, the new router and Actiontec are both showing the same IP. I am still broadcasting Wireless SSID from the actiontec and also see the default D-Link SSID. I would like to just get rid of the Actiontec and replace it with my new ac3200, I think I would loose IPTV ? I would be ok with that if so.

If I do keep it as a Advanced DMZ I assume I should some how stop the actiontec from broadcasting a SSID ?

Thank you

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most certainly will never see 1GB transfers as that is in bytes the service is sold in bits or 1/8 of that so most will be 125MB/s and that is the theoretical limit of a 1gb connection without the overhead of the connection itself factored in. Which again you will never see due to fact that unless you are transferring to a SSD hard drive the bus in the computer will not support that transfer speed to a spinning HD for anything but a short burst until the cache fills up. If you have fast spinning HD then probably best you will see is tops 80MB/s or so sustained transfer rate. If you ever want to get close to the max then 10gb nics and ssd or raid spinning drives in combination are needed to achieve that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dlink is setup in Advanced DMZ and I turned off the radio broadcasting on the Actiontec.

There are the wireless results I am getting currently:

Can I just completely remove the Actiontec and use the D-link ac3200 ?

Should I use Dlink that is in advanced DMZ in AP mode or Router mode ?

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The D-Link is a dir-890l, it has DD-WRT firmware. Should I be using that ? So many questions haha, in way over my head :(

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Since your problem is wireless connectivity, the simplest configuration that will solve the problem is to connect the D-Link to the Actiontec, put it into the Advanced DMZ on the Actiontec, and then have your wireless devices connect to the D-Link. Put it in a nice central location to minimize distance. Keep TV boxes connected directly to the Actiontec.

That said, you will never get 1Gbps on wireless. The box saying it can do that is based on lab conditions where it's theoretically doable. That doesn't happen in the real world. If you want to see how fast your connection actually is, you'll need to use a wired connection. Having the D-Link might help the speed variance, but only if the Actiontec was the problem in the first place. If the problem is just that there's 20 other networks creating interference in the condo building, there isn't much you can do aside from trying to find channels that are less heavily used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Chris,

I have exactly the same issue with the same hardware. Did you ever get an answer to figure this out. I am also stuck with how to set this up.

Fred

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

I actually have a very similar setup, using the R3000 and 2 AC3200 in my house for complete coverage. I have the R3000 configured on my second floor, and use the AC3200 on the main floor and in the basement. I've got the AC3200 configured purely in bridge mode using the same SSIDs (2.4G and 5G) as configured on the R3000, but using different channel assignments for less interference. The 3 AC3200 units are Cat5 connected back to the R3000. I can easily get 300-450Mbps from my 802.11ac devices (smartphone, etc) from just about anywhere in the house now. The R3000 does not support 160Mhz band allocations under 802.11ac (only 80Mhz), so out of luck in terms of the full speeds you'll be able to get in that regards.

Regards,
G.D.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts