Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 230 Posts
Canada’s emerging cycling success will be on display this season thanks to television coverage of cycling races on Sportsnet over the summer.

Sportsnet will broadcast cycling races from around the world featuring Canadian cyclists, including the 2012 UCI Track Cycling World Championships, the 2012 UCI BMX World Championships, the 2012 UCI Road World Championships and the 2012 UCI Mountain Bike and Trial World Championships, as well as a large portion of the 2012 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour.

“This is a significant step in the right direction as we are moving ahead with our Vision 2020 plan to become a leading competitive cycling nation by 2020 and beyond. Our Canadian cyclists are enjoying international success in all disciplines, and this television coverage will put these performances at the forefront of the Canadian sports and media scene,” declared Greg Mathieu, Chief Executive Officer for the Canadian Cycling Association.

In addition to the broadcast of UCI properties, Sportsnet will carry coverage for many professional cycling races for the UCI World Tour and the UCI America Tour.

2012 UCI Track World Championships (Melbourne, AUS)
May 1 – 12 noon-2 pm (Sportsnet One (SN 1))
May 2 – 12 noon-2 pm (Sportsnet One (SN 1))

2012 UCI Road World Championships (Limburg, NED)
September 20-23 - SN 1 (Time TBD)

Additional Coverage of UCI World Tour races
Giro D'Italia (UCI World Tour) - 21 stages - Sportsnet One (SN 1) - May 5-27
Tour of California (UCI America Tour) - 8 stages - Sportsnet One (SN 1) – May 13-20
Vuelta a Espana (UCI World Tour) - 21 stages - Sportsnet One (SN 1) – August 18-September 9
Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec (UCI World Tour) - Sportsnet One (SN 1) – Date TBD
Tour of Beijing (UCI World Tour) - Sportsnet One (SN 1) October 6-10
Cool that we'll be able to watch the Tour of California this year.

Yesterday's end of stage 7 of the Tour of Turkey was epic
Thanks for that carlost2. I've been out of touch for the past three days, no tv, no internet, as our place gets painted.

I did manage to see some of Friday's sixth stage at the new cycling café in downtown Vancouver, The Musette, where I stopped midway through an 85 km ride. I rolled up just as one of the fellows from Spidertech stopped off during his training ride; he rode the Tour of Turkey last year so he had some nice insight on what it's like to race there.

Now that the painting is almost done, I should be fully multi-media capable again in time for the Giro.

Giro D'Italia (UCI World Tour) - 21 stages - Sportsnet One (SN 1) - May 5-27
Well, if Sportsnet's scheduling grid is to be believed, finding the Giro coverage may be more challenging than actually riding the Giro. Some days it's on SNOnt or SNEast, some days on SN1, and some days it doesn't appear at all. And none of the coverage looks like it's live. Does Sportsnet not realize this is 2012, and delaying coverage of major sporting events is soooo 1975?

Color my disappointment pink...

Giro

I hear you Nels, What a mess! :confused:

Anyway if the feed is the same they got last from Universal Sports, you are probably better off watching it over the web, although I really like Todd Gogulski and Steve Schlanger.

On another note, I came across a great and at the same time sad article about Iljo Keisse (the guy who won the 7th stage on the Tour of Turkey).

Enjoy

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/iljo-keisse-from-tragedies-to-triumph

Really glad we can watch the Giro but boy is it a lot of work finding out when its on. Then I find out some of my recordings were basketball. :(

Stage 2 and 3 finishes where nail biting. Hate seeing those crashes though.

If it helps any, here is the upcoming schedule. All times are Eastern.

May 9: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 10: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 11: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 12: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and RDS
May 13: 3:30-5pm on One and 8:30-11:30am on RDS2
May 14: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 15: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 16: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 17: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 18: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 8:30-11:30am on RDS
May 19: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 6:30-10pm on RDS2
May 20: 9:30-11:30am on East/Ontario and 9:00-11:30am on RDS

Also worth noting Sportsnet has the Tour of California starting on Sunday.

Sportsnet seems to have made some adjustments, but SNPacific still doesn't get live coverage. SNO and SNE get 6.5 hours of Connected reruns, but SNP gets 10 hours; why not gas a few of those repeats to give Pacific viewers LIVE Giro coverage? After all, two of the four Canadians riding the Giro are from BC...

Looks like the Tour of California will be on SN One consistently.

My recording from Saturday that recorded from 9:30am-11:30am cut off the end of the race (around 4km to go) but for some reason I also had the 10:00-12:00 recorded which had the entire race.

I haven't checked today's 9:30am recording but hopefully it doesn't do the same thing.

I don't know about other people but I only watch sports I'm interested in. Just because Canada is doing well, I don't start watching it.

Happy to see Ryder Hesjedal hanging on to the pink jersey, he did not look too good yesterday.

On another note, what is up with all the crashing at the end? Do these guys look at the race profile? If you're a sprinter you should know what the last km is like!! Some of these guys today were going way too hot into that corner and started plowing into others.

Very good cycling week on TV with the Giro in the morning and the Tour of California in the afternoon.:)

Very good cycling week on TV with the Giro in the morning and the Tour of California in the afternoon.
And it happens to coincide with a week off work for me :) Giro on the computer live over breakfast, then out for a ride or hike, then TofC in the afternoon.

Glad to see some of the pros suffering up the Coleman Valley Rd. climb in Sunday's first stage; I rode it last October in the Levi Leipheimer Gran Fondo and my thighs still burn thinking about it...

Sportsnet sure isn't making it easy for cycling fans west of Ontario to keep up with the Giro and the Tour of California. The former doesn't show up at all today on Pacific or One. The latter has been relegated to SNWorld.
Instead we are inflicted with some no-name tennis tournament from Italy, meaningless baseball games, poker and five hours of UFC.
Sportsnet is giving new meaning to making cycling fans fourth class viewers...

41 - 60 of 230 Posts