Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 230 Posts
Too bad they decided to show highlights of the Tour of Oman instead of the Tour of Algarve which I think it has a better field and it has at least some "bumps" on the course, not a straight out flat race on the desert.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining, at least we got some cycling on TV :D

Dear Sportsnet:

It's awesome that you are stepping up the inclusion of cycling in your schedule. It's been a treat to watch the Tour Down Under, the Tour of Qatar and the Tour of Oman. However, the Tour of Oman is a SIX stage race and there is no sign of the final stage anywhere on your schedule! While it hasn't been too difficult to stay out of the loop to spoil the results of your delayed highlight packages from Oman, it isn't much fun to be left hanging like this!
BTW, it's great to see commentator Anthony McCrossan get an honest gig after being affiliated with those flimflam artists at cycling.tv...

Sincerely,
Nels

PS, please keep bringing us cycling. We're only weeks away from Classics season, and it would be awesome to see those live on my 50-inch plasma, even though it means getting up at 5 a.m. PST.

Dear Sportsnet:

It's awesome that you are stepping up the inclusion of cycling in your schedule. It's been a treat to watch the Tour Down Under, the Tour of Qatar and the Tour of Oman. However, the Tour of Oman is a SIX stage race and there is no sign of the final stage anywhere on your schedule! While it hasn't been too difficult to stay out of the loop to spoil the results of your delayed highlight packages from Oman, it isn't much fun to be left hanging like this!
BTW, it's great to see commentator Anthony McCrossan get an honest gig after being affiliated with those flimflam artists at cycling.tv...

Sincerely,
Nels

PS, please keep bringing us cycling. We're only weeks away from Classics season, and it would be awesome to see those live on my 50-inch plasma, even though it means getting up at 5 a.m. PST.
I'm glad you posted this b/c I've been recording it and I thought my kids deleted it by mistake. I noticed the hightlights were more than a day delayed, by the time they were on the next stage was already finished.

At least we are getting some cycling on TV :)

Eurosport in Europe had coverage of the Tour of Algarve, it was nice to watch coverage of both races.

Paris-Nice

Great first stage on Paris-Nice, a nice flat stage and add little wind and a lit bit of rain and the field got shredded to pieces.

A lot of GC contenders lost over 10 minutes on the road, I think it is now a 3 horse race for the GC.

I can't believe Sportenet One did not pick up this one, it is always a great race :(

I thought RDS was supposed to show Paris-Nice, but its not on their schedule. RDS does have Tirreno Adriatico though. Here is that schedule.

Stage 1 - Wednesday 3/7 at 11pm ET on RDS2 (repeat 3/8 at 4pm ET on RDS)
Stage 2 - Thursday 3/8 at 11pm ET on RDS2 (repeat 3/9 at 4pm ET on RDS)
Stage 3 - Friday 3/9 at 11pm ET on RDS2 (repeat 3/10 at 10am ET on RDS)
Stage 4 - Saturday 3/10 at 6:30pm ET on RDS2 (repeat 3/11 at 2pm ET on RDS)
Stage 5 - Sunday 3/11 at 9pm ET on RDS2 (repeat 3/12 at 4pm ET on RDS)
Stage 6 - Monday 3/12 at 10pm ET on RDS2 (repeat 3/13 at 4pm ET on RDS)
Stage 7 - Tuesday 3/13 at 11:30pm ET on RDS (repeat 3/14 at 3pm ET on RDS)

NBC Sports Network viewers in the U.S. got to watch this morning's Tour of Flanders live, just as they'll get to see next Sunday's Paris-Roubaix live. We get bupkuss. Instead SN1 shows us preview shows for each of the Major League baseball teams. Yawn.
We have four national sports channels and not one of them can find the time, or see the advertising value in running cycling programming at an hour that is usually devoid of live events anyway. Cyclists represent a lucrative demographic with money to spend (that is, when we haven't already spent it on our bikes), and there were two Canadians in today's Tour of Flanders and a Canadian will lead his team at this spring's Giro d'Italia. Seems to me those channels are missing the boat.

NBC Sports Network viewers in the U.S. got to watch this morning's Tour of Flanders live, just as they'll get to see next Sunday's Paris-Roubaix live. We get bupkuss. Instead SN1 shows us preview shows for each of the Major League baseball teams. Yawn.
We have four national sports channels and not one of them can find the time, or see the advertising value in running cycling programming at an hour that is usually devoid of live events anyway. Cyclists represent a lucrative demographic with money to spend (that is, when we haven't already spent it on our bikes), and there were two Canadians in today's Tour of Flanders and a Canadian will lead his team at this spring's Giro d'Italia. Seems to me those channels are missing the boat.
I couldn't agree more with you, I can't believe the thought process behind this. They tease at the beginning of the year with coverage of the TDU and Tour of Qatar and then they stop and don't even show highlights of the classics. :(

I can't believe the thought process behind this.
I suspect it's mostly about money. SN probably got the TDU, Qatar and Oman for nothing or next to nothing, particularly the latter two as those were highlights packaged by the organizers themselves - essentially infomercials. The Classics and Grand Tour organizers probably command a decent penny for their broadcast rights, and SN likely doesn't want to take much of a financial risk. Still, packaged properly and with a built-in loyal and growing audience of cycling enthusiasts STARVING for coverage of pro racing from Europe, it would probably be a slam dunk sell to the proper advertisers (ones looking for the quality of their audience, not necessarily the quantity of it).
I mean, I don't mind watching the racing on the internet, especially with Dutch or Italian commentary (hey, it's a good way to learn the language), but life would be so much easier if I could flip on my 50" inch plasma and watch a nice HD feed from my couch, like I do in July for the Tour.

Paris-Roubaix

Congrats to Tom Boonen on winning his 4th Paris-Roubaix with an unbelievable 50 km solo breakaway through the the cobblestones.

This ties the record, maybe we'll actually get to watch TV next year when he goes for his fifth, we can only hope :)

One might say in the absence of Fabian, Boonen pulled a Cancellara ;)

I was really hoping for a rainy Roubaix this year as the past number of races seem to have been more about the dust than the mud.

I'm not holding my breath for Canada's various sports networks to ever pick up more cycling beyonds the Grand Tours; and of those, it feels as if the Giro and Vuelta could just as easily pass us by depending on the prevailing mood of the programming directors. Every time I watch Eurosport, I'm amazed at the breadth of events they cover.

Nice unexpected win by Gasparotto today at the Amstel Gold Race, I thought Cunego had a pretty good chance to win today had he not crashed in the last km and taking Nordhaug with him, I think it was Iglinsky (Astana rider that caused the crash).

Anyway on to the next races, we have the Fleche Wallone and Liege-Bastogne-Liege this coming week.

The last km of today's race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVC7uEY80nE

21 - 40 of 230 Posts