Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Richard and I joined Digital Home because I want to tell Canadian Cable Viewers that they should get invovled and ask their cable provider across Canada to carry the TBS Cable Network on their cablesystems provider in place of Peachtree TV (WPCH) Atlanta, Georgia on the digital cable channel position, and carry the CW Network via local network affiliates in U.S. border cities in the U.S. KSTW-TV Seattle, Washington (serving Vancouver, British Columbia, Western British Columbia & most of Interior British Columbia), KSKN-TV Spokane, Washington (serving Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Eastern British Columbia and Interior British Columbia markets), WUCW-TV from Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota (Serving Northwestern Ontario & Manitoba via Satellite Relay Distribution Undertaking), WKBD-TV from Detriot, Michigan (serving Windsor, Chatham, Sarnia, London, Ontario via off-air/over the air)[also serving Ottawa, Sault Ste. Marie, North Bay, Timmins, Sudbury, Elliot Lake, Wawa, White River, Manitouwadge, Beardmore, Geraldton and Nipigon, Ontario via Satellite Relay Distribution Undertaking], WNLO-TV from Buffalo, New York (serving Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Ontario and Southern Ontario), WLVI-TV from Boston, Massachusetts (serving Montreal, Quebec, Quebec City, Quebec, Saint John, Moncton, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Halifax, Sydney, Nova Scotia, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island and St. John's Newfoundland markets via Satellite Relay Distribution Undertaking).

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I have a couple of CW channels. one being WPIX. I also have WNLO, in Buffalo, which is a border station for me. However, that one is only letterbox SD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With regards to TBS, Turner Broadcasting in October of 2007 rebranded the former WTBS TV in Atlanta which had been carried on Canadian pay TV systems for years as Peachtree TV with the new call letters WPCH. Unlike in the US where TBS has existed for decades as a cable-only TV channel, Canadian service providers have always carried WPCH (the former WTBS) and not the cable & satellite only TBS channel. This means that the Canadian pay TV industry inherited that branding change from Turner Broadcasting through no will of its own. Furthermore, Turner Broadcasting has never applied to the CRTC to have the TBS cable & satellite channel added to the authorized foreign services list. For many years Atlanta's WTBS TV and the TBS cable & satellite channel were identical in branding and almost identical in program line-ups, so their existence as separate entities was and still is largely unknown to Canadian viewers. For TBS to carried in Canada, it would need to added to the CRTC's list of foreign services (channels) authorized for distribution and I believe the owner would need to apply to the CRTC for the addition and I'm not sure if they see a business case for it. There might also be legal boundaries concerning broadcast rights holdings by one or more Canadian channels.

As for The CW network, where I am (Mississauga) The CW is available on cable and over-the-air via WNLO from Buffalo. In addition, my TV package also includes KTLA from Los Angeles and WPIX from New York City, both of which are nationally carried superstations. My knowledge tells me that most if not all service providers throughout the country have however always charged extra for the network and its predecessors The UPN and the Warner Brothers Network ("The WB") by means of provision of an extra package with the introduction of digital cable and satellite in the 1990s. I'm somewhat sure that Rogers in my area always limited WNLO and WNYO to its digital package. The story is sure to be different with different areas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish Cogeco Cable in my area where I live in the Hamilton/Burlington/Niagara Pennisula area would add the Buffalo CW Station WNLO to the digital package on Digital Basic Cable Channel 17 in Niagara Falls & Fort Erie and Digital Basic Cable Channel 54 in Grimsby, Beamsville, Jordan, Jordan Station, Lincoln, Smithville, Vineland and West Lincoln, (Hamilton North, Hamilton West, Westdale, Ancaster, Dundas, Flambourogh and Stoney Creek Mountain), Fergus, Elora & Salem (Wellington Region), Acton, Georgetown, Halton, Halton Hills, Malton, and Milton/Campbellville. Digital Basic Cable Channel 15 in Hamilton & Stoney Creek, Digital Basic Cable Channel 22 in Burlington & Oakville.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bell Satellite TV Carries both WPIX and KTLA both CW Affiliates. They also carry WGN which used to be a CW Affiliate. Now WGN is just a useless channel that I wish Bell would drop.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I have both KTLA and WGN, but didn't know KTLA was CW. Zap2it doesn't list it as such and it's been quite a while since I watched anything on it.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I also have WNLO, in Buffalo, which is a border station for me. However, that one is only letterbox SD.
In Toronto at least, it isn't part of the basic Rogers cable package, unlike all the other Buffalo stations (ABC, CBS, PBS, Fox). It isn't even in the current "Popular" or "Premier" packaged!

It isn't even available as a stand-alone channel, and has to be purchased in a $6 pack (the old time-shifting package).

And it's only SD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts