Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of discussion here about using Voice over IP (VoIP) to save on long distance costs, but I haven't seen anyone mention using it to reduce basic cell phone charges. As mentioned in this article, VoIP is a good way to avoid over running your cell phone minutes, particularly if you have WiFi available. Softphone clients are available for many smart phones and the latest version of Android has one built in. One softphone that's available for free for Android and iPhone is 3CXPhone. It may even be possible to get a data only smart phone plan and avoid the voice plan charges entirely. As I have mentioned previously, 4G phones will be VoIP exclusively.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I haven't tried a softphone on my Android device yet, but may have to give it a shot and see how well it works. Since I'm looking to travel to the US for a few weeks next month, it might be a good way to test it (as long as I'm near a Wi-Fi hotspot to avoid data roaming fees).

I noticed the softphone app is free, but obviously I'd need to find a VoIP provider first. Guess I'll start looking into my options there. :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It's also handy for people with a "my5" number or whatnot.
Simply set up your voip number with forwarding or DISA (lets you call in and then dial the outward number and it connects you).
Very handy for those without unlimited plans.

voip.ms is a highly recommended provider, there's a massive thread on it right here on the forum.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
YAK calling card

Not VOIP ... but I cut cell phone costs the old fashioned way - using a great calling card service.

LD charges -and- airtime charges -and- roaming charges.

YAK calling card and YAK Cellular LD product.

1. YAK cellular LD product - eliminates expensive cellular LD rates
( 3 or 5 cents / minute as opposed to 25 c / min cellular LD rate)
-call the YAK local access number (in major cities) or the YAK toll free access number and their system recognizes you as a customer from your caller ID - then gives you dial tone for LD calling.

2. YAK regular calling card - use payphone or landline w/YAK local access numbers or YAK Toll free access number - to avoid using your cell phone at all.

- save airtime and save cellular LD rates.
- get your cellular voice messages that way too - by calling into your cellular voicemail access number - and save those charges too (ie air time)
- rather than answer right way - call back the person calling you on a payphone or landline using YAK calling card. (Typical "Call Back" scheme done manually)
- or answer ... and speak briefly - and ask to call them right back to avoid long converstations on cell.
- saves cellular roaming charges too ... on incoming calls when you are outside your cellular home territory.
- YAK regular calling card works for LOCAL numbers too!
(so you can just walk up to any payphone and make a local call, no coins, using the YAK toll free access number and your calling card)
- added advantage - at a friends place or work - use the landline to make your LD calls with YAK calling card - no charge to your friend or to work - and no record of the actual LD number called - all totally legal and work friendly / friend friendly.

Calling Card ... It's all old stuff - but it all still works - just great.

Lots of numbers to dial - but all memorized now. Or - you can program some of them into your cell phone too.

And YAK calling card and cellular product have no "plan fees", monthly fees or minimums. No sign up fees either - that I can remember.

Straight usage only, great rates, billed straight to your credit card.

No paper bill - they email bill details to you - monthly (otherwise, I believe there is some small charge to mail a hard copy bill to you - if you want one).

My YAK Calling card / Cellular calling product bills are quite small and reasonable.

And knowing that I have and use that capability with YAK - I have reduced my cellular "PLAN" right down to the bare minimum - so I save on my cell plan also.

Check it out ... YAK calling card and YAK cellular LD product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts