Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That amount is with tax included for HD and Internet (I don't need home phone), and I subscribe the the following:

$35.95 -- Digital TV Basic
$12.00 -- HD Plus (grandfathered rate, new customers pay $14)
$2.95 -- Specialty Channel (Fox News)
$45 -- Xtreme Internet(Xtreme @ 15Mbps)

$95.90 + tax (Including Bundle discount of $10)

I own my modem and HD PVR. I am looking at switching to Telus because of both cost and HD channel availability. I don't want to sign a contract but will look into it if there are really good intro offers for the first six months or first year. I only need one HD set-top box and it needs to be a PVR. The remote recording with an iPhone app really entices me as I often forget to set my PVR manually. Does Telus have ALL Sportsnet channels in HD? That is one of my biggest beefs with Shaw.

I NEVER watch standard def channels so the fact I need to have all the corresponding SD channels to get the HD with Telus sounds stupid to me (you dont have to do this with Shaw). I don't need Movie Central or Super Channel or any specialty movie channels that you have to pay extra for. I also don't like the idea of my internet speed being affected when I'm using my TV. I need to have at least 15Mbps as I am often gaming with multiple consoles at the same time or downloading files.

Should I switch over or stay with Shaw? What am I looking at price-wise and what are my options.

REALLY appreciate the help guys, thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
best suggestion would either to call or go to telus.com and click the "build a bundle" link under telus tv. with so many variations and such, it will be the easiest way to price it...

if you call in, they will probably be able to tell you the latest deals as well, especially if you are switching from shaw..

as far as the 15meg for internet, it will depend on where you live as to what optik package you can get. obviously, if you only qualify for the 15meg optik (1HD 2 SD), you wont get much higher than 11 or 12 meg with all the STBs off...

****telus employee, but my views are all my own****

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have tried to price it all out on the website but whenever you try to enter your address under "bundles in my area" it never works. Always asks for the proper street address...i have entered like 5 different addresses and I still get nothing.

I just want the cheapest option comparable to Shaw (if it exists), that would give me all the regular HD channels (everything except pay movie channels) without having to subscribe to a bunch of SD channels I'm never gonna watch.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The broadcast channels in your area are in HD for free. I get basic TV as all the others are junk (I find most of my recordings are from KCTS (PBS affiliate in Seattle) and Knowledge (alas not in HD), as well as a limited number of braodcast TV series.

If you don't take a 3 year contract, you have to pay $250 to buy the PVR or rent for ~$15 p.m.

3 Sportsnet channels in HD.

As for internet speed, never noticed the slowdown when surfing when watching/recording shows but maybe I'm not as heavy a user as you even though I am on 19.2 profile. Also, Telus speeds don't slow down at night like Shaw does. I get DL speeds of 1.6 MBps if the source(s) allow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts