Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of signing up...did any new promos start in november? is it better to visit the store or call on the phone?

i currently have shaw direct satellite.

thanks!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have two offers that came in Nov 12, 2009 mail. One from Shaw one from MTS. I currently have Shaw Phone (lite) & HS Internet on a $46/mth promo and Bell for TV.

Shaw offer - $84.95/mth/12 mths for Extreme Internet, Basic Phone (free LD north america 1 yr) and Digital TV with HD Plus, free HD-PVR for 1 year and free DCT700 for 1 year

MTS offer - $72/mth/12 mths with 1st mth free for HS Internet Lightning, Phone essentials (free LD n/a), Ultimate TV Basic & 9 themes, 2 free HD boxes and whole house PVR free for the your entire time with MTS.

They both continue to fight over clients. MTS is cheaper BUT Shaw's install and cabling schema is way easier for most customers. MTS requires cat5 to the first connection then coax.

Shaw's installers can be better in many ways, but you occasionally get a real LOON.

Vis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm....what if i just want to have my tv from mts? do you think it would be possible to get the 2 free hd boxes and pvr for life free?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm assuming that the 2 STB/PVR for life is only for Winbacks right now. I heard people here talking about how they got this sweet promo at the Home Show or whatever it was recently, but I asked about a week ago and was told that only the "regular" 6 month promo is on right now.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I still think they are going to make the PVR service an included service (ie, no charge) - as they changed the main page of the package info to reflect that. It used to say $5/mth. Not any more...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thing is, they control the PVR function from their end. If you're not paying for it (or on a promo) then they disable the PVR function and it won't work at all. It is weird though, since the hard drive is inside the box anyway, but I guess they found that to be a way to make money.

:confused:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I gave copies of the offer to two co-workers who are both original MTS TV people. MTS gave them the HD/PVR promo ... for life!

You only know if you ask!

·
Registered
757 Posts
My father-in-law called MTS when he was ready to upgrade to ultimate (it was about a month ago that he was notified that he was eligible, but he had plans for a new tv first)

He said to them off the bat (in a friendly tone) "I want the best deal possible. I've been a loyal TV customer for years..." and so on. She said the best she could do was the 6 month promo. I was surprised, as I told him about the lifetime promo, so he was hoping to get it. I thought it was a sure thing, since so many people are lucky enough to get it.

I figured that it would also help that they hadn't been on a promo for a long time, but I guess not. He wasn't too bothered by it, in any case.

I might end up in the same boat. I had my appointment to switch everything to shaw, and I think I called MTS to tell them I'd be cancelling or something. Anyway, a few days before my appointment, they call and give me the Winback promo, no questions asked! So I think it'll be to my detriment if they ever get Ultimate to my area anytime soon.

Blah blah blah, you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MTS Winback promos (switching from Shaw)

Has anybody had recent experience with the current MTS Winback promo? I'm considering switching from Shaw to MTS and was curious what they are currently offering (i'm a current HDPVR TV and Hi-Speed Internet customer - no Home Phone).

Along the same lines... did anyone go to the HomeExpressions (Home and Garden) show at the Convention centre this past weekend? I know in the past years they had some wicked winback deals promo'ed there and I wasn't able to make it this year!!

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
The standard offer on mts.ca is (bundled prices):

TV - Basic + 9 theme groups, first 3 months $25, free PVR service, 2 free STB rental.
Internet - Lightning, first 3 months $20.

I have heard the offer extended to 6 months recently.

I wasn't at the home show but I heard they had a $72 promo (not sure for how many months). You could call them and see if you can still get it. I'm pretty sure you could get it for $45 without phone.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I was at the home show on the weekend and no "special" home show deals were to be had with MTS at all. Shaw was no where to be found at least in my travels, didn`t see them at all at the show!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
When I was in Polo Park today, they had a special display in the centre of the mall near the escalators with this offer:

TV - Basic + 9 theme groups, first 6 months $25 (bundled price), free PVR service, 2 free STB rental.

The offer is until Mar. 28.

Last year when they had a promo like this, they had it at a different mall for successive weekends. I don't know if this is the last weekend or if there will be more weekend promos.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Best Deal from MTS?

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about moving my TV service and I was wondering if you would share what kind of deals you have from MTS.

I currently have Shaw Direct, MTS Internet, and MTS phone. I am thinking about either moving my TV over to MTS, or moving all three over to Shaw.

What I like about MTS is the Whole Home PVR thing. I have 3 HDTV's and I don't want to have to buy 3 HDPVR's.

Any ideas on what kind of deal I can get from MTS? Any killer promotions that are not advertised?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts