Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to upgrade my Cogeco service to 1Gb, which will involve returning the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem to Cogeco, retiring my Asus router, and going with the Cogeco-supplied current router. I have Internet service only, no TV, so don't care about MOCA capabilities. I understand that Cogeco is sometimes supplying the HiTron unit, and sometimes an Arris unit. I have heard and read both good and bad things about both. I do not want to use bridge mode and keep using my own router. This is all part of simplifying home technology configurations for my spouse, as I quickly fade with ALS.
With that context, I'm wondering if anyone can report on current experiences (within the last 6 months to a year) with Cogeco's current modem/routers. Which one,HiTron or Arris, has better Wi-Fi performance (range, speed) and which one is likely to be more reliable?
(I've got lots of technical background, so please don't worry about technical answers.) Thank you.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
One thing to consider about using only their equipment is you'll only get a single /64 IPv6 prefix. If you provide your own router and use bridge mode, you can have up to 256 /64s, assuming your router supports it.

Each /64 contains 2^64 or 18.4 billion, billion addresses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing to consider about using only their equipment is you'll only get a single /64 IPv6 prefix. If you provide your own router and use bridge mode, you can have up to 256 /64s, assuming your router supports it.

Each /64 contains 2^64 or 18.4 billion, billion addresses.
thanks. Given my goal is simplification, and the context for doing so, that limitation is not a consideration.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To close out my interest in this thread, I'll share that a couple of weeks ago I upgraded my Cogeco Internet service and replaced their cable modem and my Asus routers with a Cogeco-supplied Arris TG3452 modem/router. I was also able to extend the incoming coax to a place in the house for better Wi-Fi coverage.

Installation and configuration of the router was quite straightforward, although its administrative interface is a bit unpredictable and cumbersome.

To date, I've had no problems and Wi-Fi coverage of the entire area I need seems rock solid. With a wired connection to the router, Speedtest is consistently reporting 20-23 ms latency, 945 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up (which will improve as Cogeco rolls out upload upgrades). Wireless performance varies with location of course, but I'm quite happy. I now have a much simplified network and don't need to worry about Wi-Fi pods,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts