Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hearings to discuss the financial future of conventional broadcasting in Canada, Ivan Fecan, President and CEO of CTVglobemedia and CEO of CTV Inc. told the CRTC this morning that it would shut down its Over-the-air television (OTA) stations if the feds did not provide a "structural fix for conventional television soon."

Very big face-off between BDU's and conventional broadcasters.

No one here signed up for this but this is where we find ourselves today. Please understand this is not a cash grab or greed from a private broadcaster. This is real. We are not bluffing.

From the attached text which contains Mr. Fecan's speech today before the commission.

The culture of our Company demands that if something is never going to work, we move on, with the knowledge that we did our best. We moved on with TQS. We are moving on with Brandon, Windsor and Wingham. And if there is no structural fix for conventional television soon, we will forced to move on again --- first with the A’s and then ultimately with the CTV conventional stations.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Honestly.

If you can't compete in the free market by delivering compelling programming that advertisers want to pay good money to sponsor, we don't *want* you.

I firmly disapprove of them robbing cable subscribers with rediculous carriage fees. If they want to do subscription television, they can just focus on the presumably more lucrative specialty channels market.

Looks like the real local broadcasting is going to be left up to the CBC. Don't let us down guys, seems CTV's lost interest.

Also, some of the larger market stations won't shut down. There is still plenty of money to be made there, and if CTV sells everything off in a tissy fit, maybe some local folks will buy the TV stations and that would actually be an improvement.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
james039 said:
if CTV sells everything off in a tissy fit, maybe some local folks will buy the TV stations and that would actually be an improvement
I don't know who would be ready to buy them, but Rogers is already sitting on a potentially lucrative set of OTA stations of their own if CTV decides to drop theirs. Also any U.S. programming producers would want to change the rights of their shows based on the TV audience. If CTV kills off OTA they'd be changing those formulae.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Looks like the real local broadcasting is going to be left up to the CBC. Don't let us down guys, seems CTV's lost interest.
Enough with the threats already! If they aren't making any money off conventional television anymore then just shut CTV down and return the licenses to the CRTC or sell the stations. I hope the CRTC isn't buying into these veiled threats to shut everything down. Do they think by threatening them they are going to get what they want?!

I think the CRTC should revoke the licenses for CTV & Global and at the same time CBC's budget should be increased and they should be given approval to launch a second network- CBC Two. They are the only true 'Canadian' network that airs mainly CDN programming so there is no need for the private broadcasters who import foreign programming to fill their schedule and produce very little of their own. At the same time I would advocate an overhaul of CBC, whereby the network adopts an approach similar to PBS where they do not depend on advertising and focus on ratings like the private stations. Funding should be derived from the government and from viewers who actually watch the network and support it. I would adopt a BBC style setup as follows:

CBC One- News/Information focus (News, documentaries, talk shows, current affairs)
CBC Two- Entertainment focus (cultural programming, series, music, sports)

Existing CBC stations would be branded as 'CBC One' and the stations formerly occupied by CTV & Global would form the basis of CBC Two. They operate stations in many of the same markets as CBC so many cities would have both CBC networks. In smaller markets the station that exists would become CBC One and CBC Two would be available via digital subchannel.

As for US programming, that would be available via cable/satellite through the US networks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have a solution, for every OTA license they CTV and Canwest want to ditch they have to give up two specialty licenses. Ivan and gang brought this on themselves by overpaying for stations and programming. They say the A channels have been marginal for years. Tell me this then where was the due diligence when the bought CHUM. If they and their number crunchers didn't see this possibility when they bought all these stations then they shouldn't be in the game. I have zero tolerance for Ivan's blackmail. Even if he and his group of pickpockets get their way I am sure that sometime before Aug 2011 they will find another way to shut down smaller market stations. Shame on the CRTC for believing their BS when they made the original purchase. All these threats are a smoke screen for getting fee for carriage for stations in major markets, the rest of the country is SOL for OTA in the long run. If the model is broken then I'm afraid Ivan, you were a part of the wrecking crew.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since most consumers use cable

Who is going to notice. Barrie does not have a newscast, oh boo ho. The CRTC should mandate more High School Cable Newsrooms and let communities use the air wave to promote all kinds of lame local events. But out of all the hogslop many flower might bloom.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with PlayitSimple. CBC is the only truly Canadian network that actually produces their own shows. CTV and Global buy American programming and put it on their network. Do away with OTA t.v, who cares!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lets call CTV's bluff and let them shutdown a few more stations. They wont close stations in any major market, especially CFTO in Toronto. I can see them closing stations like CKCO in Kitchener, so what. Bring it on CTV. I hope the CRTC isn't fooled and forces their hand.
The public coffers should not have to pay even a dime. How come small market U.S. stations, all of which have converted to digital aren't failing in droves. I dont have any sympathy for CTV or Global for that matter. They drove themselves into bankruptcy, so get on with it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Poor management decisions... and now they are whining like babies.

When times were good they were spending millions on outbidding the CBC for the Hockey Night in Canada theme song, buying Alliance Atlantis, buying CHUM, investing in condos, purchasing newspapers, and the execs were buying fancy houses and big boats (ever try contacting someone at CTV - they are always on vacation!)... well now that the times are tough they expect consumers to bail them out with additional fees. No thanks.

No one is going to miss their favourite shows, because they are all available on American channels.

I wish they would have shut down 20 years ago so I would not have had my blood pressure rise all these years with their simsub interruptions.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
CTV is playing politics. Their business model is obsolete and they are trying to go over the CRTC's head to the public with grandiose statements designed to fan the flames of fear of losing a local station. The CRTC should see through this and deny them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If the business model doen't work, then fix it. If it means that they shut down stations in smaller markets, so be it. You either have to adapt to your changing enviroment or you will not survive. I am sick and tired of companies making bad decisions and then looking for a subsidy from the government (or consumers in this case). Next they are going to blame the internet for falling revenues and want to put a tax on that as well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Since most people use cable, shutting down mainly-American-programming TV stations isn't a problem. Whatever.

·
Banned
320 Posts
tablo:

Agreed. If so little people are watching OTA, then you really have a decent argument against the existence of leeches CTV and Global. People will say to get rid of the US stations instead, but I say... no! Do you know how many times Canadian networks switch their US programming around from channel-to-channel (i.e., Lost, Fringe)?

It's freaking annoying — now Lost is on A-channel so it's no longer in HD on a Canadian net., so now you have to watch ABC regardless to see it in HD. I certainly wouldn't want to be unneccesarily HD-deprived, so I want my American networks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Some interesting posts here. There doesn't seem to be much love lost for local news,and probably for good reason. I had always thought local news whether it be print, radio, or television was a crucial part of the emergency response infrastructure. That was laid to rest last summer when the propane explosion happened here. I know it was a Sunday morning, but I could find exactly 1 media outlet that was covering it - the all news radio station. The rest of radioland proceeded like a usual sunday while a major highway was shtfown and thousands of people evacuated.

The first video I saw of it was on youtube! No tv station had footage until the 6pm news.

I contrast this against what local New York media did on Sept. 11, 2001. Their coverage was quite a bit different that what was on CNN, etc. There was a lot of stuff about how to get home, what to do when you got home, can you get to work tomorrow, what arrangement daycares were doing for parents who will be hours late to pickup their kids, etc.

So if the current state of Canadian local news stays as is, maybe you guys are right, just let it die. I just don't want to be in Winnipeg in flood season and get the news sourced from Toronto.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts

It seems alot of you have already made it clear that you could do without CTV..Or make them close smaller stations as long as your CFTO remains open. I am sorry to inform you but most of Canada does not revolve around Toronto. Smaller stations have really only one source for their local news and that is CTV. Global doesn't do local, CBC only concentrates on Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, so where does that leave people in PEI or Saskatoon , Timmins. Do you think someone in Thunderbay cares about the go trains on strike in Toronto.

People bitched when CTV had a newscast in the Sault and north bay . But they bitched more when it was gone.

Now imagine no CTV or Global. They don't just place programming on TV , they are also sponsoring or covering your local walk or football game. They are a place to advertise for local merchants. Sure I realize that most of you love if Canada became the states and all your advertising was for products you could only buy down south, but for me I like to see what a local dealer is selling. When was the last time you saw your precious CBC advertise for Joe's furniture or that jim's motorcycle shop is having a sale. CTV does.

Who sponsored the Sars concert or the live aid 2, was it NBC or ABC.

CBC doesn't have the money to keep going..they are already laying off...
Global is a dead horse..But CTV is the only game in town. And I am sorry, Flashpoint and Cornor Gas blows away any Canadian show CBC ever made, except of course Wayne and Schuster

Finally. IF CTV folds in a year, which could happen, don't kid yourself. What station will you watch for the Olympics..NBC..Lets see them cover the Canada Hockey final.

Have fun with that.

·
Banned
320 Posts
kirjtc2 said:
So the Fredericton-based CBC local news isn't local to me in Fredericton while the Halifax CTV news is? Gotcha.
Exactly. You think you have it bad? Look where I'm from — the backwoodsiest place of PEI. Yes, PEI... which is backwoods in of itself.

So the only local newscast we have here is also CBC, in fact it's the only news station in PEI. So, frankly, to hell with Global and CTV if they can't even bother to have one local news broadcast for an entire Canadian province. That's BS. That does not even happen in the US, and they have 50 states, not 13!

So hopefully you can see my justification for absolutely hating Global and CTV — to me a Halifax newscast is about as local as Boston. And the Boston (i.e. CBS) channel is one I'd much rather watch than the Halifax (CTV) one.

"If you get rid of CTV and Global there's no choice of TV", you may say? Well I keep hearing the excuse that Canadian networks don't have as much original programming as US networks because Canada is a much smaller country than the US, well why not apply that same reasoning to the amount of private networks we have!

·
Registered
317 Posts
So the Fredericton-based CBC local news isn't local to me in Fredericton while the Halifax CTV news is? Gotcha.
I agree. The CBC has been here (PEI) for local news since TV started in Canada. Where is CTV and Global? Not in my province, so let them go and cut off their noses to spite their faces. I for one won't miss them a bit. Long live the CBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I detest them and their simsubs period. Let them do what they want on their own station. If someone wants to watch a Canadian Tire ad during American Idol, be my guest, but let me watch the American network in tact if I want to. Simsubs - due to CTV or Global screwing up things, but also the BDU screwing up things at times (and my point is if these Canadian channels didn't exist or the BDU didn't have to do simsubs in the first place, they wouldn't screw things up) have ruined countless telecasts for me in the past, and that's why I detest Canadian networks. I won't even watch the local news anymore because I can't tune into CTV - and they're the only ones with a local station here.

CTV is just bluffing here anyways. Ivan Fecan is still driving around in his Royals Royce and just wants more money for his deep pockets. Maybe he is looking to buy a yacht. No way CFTO would ever close down. He used the smaller stations as pawns in his own big game of Chess with the mighty CRTC to make a point to get more money for his next mortgage payment on his 80 000 square foot cottage in the Muskokas.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Now imagine no CTV or Global. They don't just place programming on TV , they are also sponsoring or covering your local walk or football game. They are a place to advertise for local merchants. Sure I realize that most of you love if Canada became the states and all your advertising was for products you could only buy down south, but for me I like to see what a local dealer is selling. When was the last time you saw your precious CBC advertise for Joe's furniture or that jim's motorcycle shop is having a sale. CTV does.
Actually the CBC channel in Windsor has all kinds of local advertising, most of it from Michigan.

Who sponsored the Sars concert or the live aid 2, was it NBC or ABC.
You mean the SARS concert in Toronto, the city you don't care to hear about?

Finally. IF CTV folds in a year, which could happen, don't kid yourself. What station will you watch for the Olympics..NBC..Lets see them cover the Canada Hockey final.
It'll be on CTV-owned specialty channel TSN, which is on cable where apparently the money flows like rivers.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.