Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CTV News Vancouver studio seems to have issues with their News broadcast the last 2 days. Both my OTA and Shaw signals are fine, but the video broke up sometimes yesterday. Jina You actually mentioned about it on the News yesterday but as soon as she started talking about it the video broke up. Since then, CTV News at 5, 6, and 11:30 switch to WS SD most of the times the last 2 days. Just wondering what's the issue that they still haven't got it fixed by now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes! I couldn't agree more and I saw the constant blackouts on Thursday when Jina was mentioning they had tech. issues. I contacted CTV and they told me that they were having some computer issues and had informed engineers in Calgary to fix the problem. The 11:30 newscast started off HD on Christmas eve while Norma was anchoring, but towards the end it blacked out and went back to WS SD. They told me everything is fixed now so we just have to wait until 6:00 tonight to find out. They also mentioned that, that has never happened before and the fact that they switched to WS SD was just because it uses lower bandwidth compared to full HD. So, probably they're just having feed issues not for us but within their CTV Network?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still on WS SD both News at 6 and 11:30. Not sure if they've forgotten to switch back to HD or if they still have problem to fix.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup.

Yeah. Really looks weird to not see them in HD since I've been watching their newscasts forever. I think you should contact them now since you told them to fix their OTA HD problem a while ago and they did fix it really quickly.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hopefully the work is continuing but I wouldn't be surprised if the on-duty crew were told to just get by with the WS SD feed until everyone is back from the holidays. That's not a knock on CTV, just a guess about a possibility that I would find understandable.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the original problem (whatever it was) came back soon after News at 5 started so they had to switch to WS SD once again.

I left a feedback on CTV BC website 2-3 days ago but no response this time, not even auto-reply. Perhaps many of the crew are on holidays. I guess we'll have to be patient.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmm.

Yeah, patience is what I need for now. Can't really figure out what's stopping them from broadcasting in HD.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All is good today made if for the farewell segment for Pamela and Bill, except that my PC HDD ran out of space and that segment was left out. Luckily my Shaw DVR was on that channel and I was able to rewind.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke too soon. News at 11:30 was back to WS SD.

On a loosely related note, ctvbc web site finally has mobile version. No longer necessary to load the full site on smartphones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts