Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
541 - 560 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
As for me, I’m retired, but I also have a collection of hawk-eyed news watchers so that I am
able to contribute here (and elsewhere)

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
I don't often watch TV news. I find it to be trite and lacking substance. Some news organizations prominently feature young attractive people, mainly women, in order to boost ratings. They often also fire those people as they exceed a certain age and replace then with younger people. The practice was exposed a number of years ago and largely abolished but CTV still seems to be doing it. Maybe that's their way of compensating for an underfunded, poorly produced news program.

·
Registered
564 Posts
In the 60's/70's UK, there was a show called 'Never Mind the Quality, Feel The Width"

The title was never more appropriate than it is here.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
The reason may be different but the process and result is the same. People are treated like disposable commodities in the race to the bottom for lower costs, more advertising dollars, inflated profits, and disproportionate financial gains for management and stockholders.

·
Registered
117 Posts
During Tonight's CTV News London at 6 They had technical difficulties when Julie was on location and they said that their live camera was too hot to go live but they rushed quickly back to the newsroom to do the weather as always. Now they tell us their technical issue but the question is: Do they use cheap small camera's for their own small market stations? That is my guess in theory.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
During Tonight's CTV News London at 6 They had technical difficulties when Julie was on location and they said that their live camera was too hot to go live but they rushed quickly back to the newsroom to do the weather as always. Now they tell us their technical issue but the question is: Do they use cheap small camera's for their own small market stations? That is my guess in theory.
Sounds to me that this Julie believes in "the show must go on". That's a real trouper who deserves praise.

·
Registered
117 Posts
CTV's London Weekend news at 6 tonight had another inexperienced weather person Bryan Bicknell. During the weather segment he mentioned that the record high in 1994 was 34 degrees when on the Almanac screen it said 1995. Also during the 7 day forecast for Midwestern Ontario "Risk of Thunderstorms on Tuesday and Risk of Thunderstorms on Thursday". Like come on how could you not seen the year 1995 on the Almanac graphic screen. My guess someone must of put in 1994 instead of 1995 on the teleprompter. There is Risk of Thunderstorms on Monday and Wednesday NOT Tuesday and Thursday.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Don’t go out next Tuesday!

Woah! I did not see that coming. Stay inside people the earth might burn. But no someone was meant to put 24 degrees instead of 245 degrees.
And that has to be biggest differential between night and day temperatures in the history of this planet. How does one dress for that range of temperatures?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
It's Canada Day weekend. Staff is in short supply. Lots of stations have people doing extra duties to allow others time off. Here in PEI CBC makes use of a weatherman in Nova Scotia to do our local weather when our regular guy is off for any reason and he continues to do Nova Scotia weather on CBC Halifax as well. No big deal. Oh by the way the irony is that the Nova Scotia guy actually gives us a better and more comprehensive forecast.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
It's Canada Day weekend. Staff is in short supply. Lots of stations have people doing extra duties to allow others time off. Here in PEI CBC makes use of a weatherman in Nova Scotia to do our local weather when our regular guy is off for any reason and he continues to do Nova Scotia weather on CBC Halifax as well. No big deal. Oh by the way the irony is that the Nova Scotia guy actually gives us a better and more comprehensive forecast.
Yeah, this. CBC has one crew doing all the morning shows in NB right now instead of the individual city ones, because it's the summer and people take holidays. No one makes a big deal out of that because it's entirely normal.

It's not even noteworthy that CTV is doing it as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
CTV Kitchener News at 6 had more technical and mishaps tonight. During a report on downed power lines in Kitchener. They lost their live feed of CTV's Krista Sharpe while she was on location of the accident and Alexandra Pinto starred into the camera like "What just happened?" And then during a report on a ION Train involved in an accident Alexandra said "From a dump truck to a cement truck this time it was an ION tram or train colliding with a cement truck". It just keeps getting worse and worse 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️.
Screenshot Font Rectangle Operating system Software
Product Font Screenshot Travel Technology

541 - 560 of 563 Posts