Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
481 - 500 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Now that you mentioned that. The story of St. Marys Memorial Hospital reduces emergency department hours due to staff shortage has been posted to the CTV News Windsor site instead of the CTV News London site.... ️
I looked up the St. Mary's story. It does seem a little odd. Did you know there's a button at the bottom of the web page which allows you to report an error? Have you used it? That would likely be more effective than posting your complaint here.

FYI: At both London and Windsor sites I found stories from CTV stations all over Canada. I have no idea how each station picks their selection of stories but maybe in Windsor's case some of their residents might be sent to St. Mary's for certain types of care and so CTV Windsor thought it worth reporting on the staff shortage. There is a lot of that type of sharing in the hospitals in S. Ontario.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did everyone know that Gary Archibald messed up tonight's CTV News London at 6? Yep he did during the weather segment he did in fact mention Windsor while talking about the weather for London. It is at 30:23 in tonight's CTV News London at Six. Like come on Gary you are doing the London weather not Windsor weather. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
Also after the CTV Kitchener News at Noon before The Social came on I saw the CTV Northern Ontario Logo bug when the screen went dark. So we are nowhere near Sudbury or anything like that but I thought the Master Control was in Toronto not Sudbury.
Also Just like with CTV Kitchener with the Unifor logo it was over the graphic card and came in early. It usually comes in after the News Tips graphic card at the end of every CTV London newscast.
Product Plant Asphalt Font Tree

·
Registered
500 Posts
Someone over on the SOWNY forum pointed out that there's a job posting for an anchorperson at CTV2 London, so I read it, and fittingly, there's even a typo in the job description! Under responsibilities: "Appropriate representation of the CTV New brand at promotional events" -- CTV New? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
93 Posts
job posting for an anchorperson at CTV2 London,
It is posted on the Bell Media site Anchor, CTV2 London, Bell Media Job | Media Jobs at Bell Canada

Lots of required duties. Let's hope it is someone who does not mess up

Responsibilities:

• Anchor newscasts and special broadcasts as required – will involve evening and weekend assignments
  • File news stories as a videographer – shooting, writing, and editing from the field
  • Live on the scene reporting
  • Contribute to CTV News Digital assets in compliance with CTV News editorial standards
  • Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas
  • Gather and verify information through interviews, observations and research
  • Create lineups and write stories to CTV News Editorial standard
  • Vet scripts to ensure CTV News Editorial standards
  • Use various media to provide updates on news stories and newscasts to the public
  • Write articles and maintain up-to-date digital news platforms
  • Appropriate representation of the CTV News brand at promotional events including but not limited to public appearances, support of community events, promotion of newscasts and social media engagement
  • Provide leadership in the newsroom and contribute to continual development of staff and news product
  • Demonstrate journalistic ethics in all aspects of work
  • Other duties as assigned

Qualifications:

• Outstanding on-air presentation, with the ability to interact well with others on camera
  • Minimum two years’ experience as a videographer with excellent shooting, writing and editing skills
  • Minimum two years’ experience anchoring in a professional newsroom environment
  • College or University degree or diploma, preferably in Broadcast Journalism
  • Proven reputation as a motivated self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills who enjoys getting involved in the production of the product, and loves news and current affairs
  • Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
  • Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of journalism
  • Well read on current affairs and have a wide-range of working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects, current events and people in the news
  • Knowledge of coverage area (history, geography, political and socio-economic conditions)
  • Knowledge of municipal affairs and political systems
  • Strong editorial skills when it comes to line-up and story evaluation
  • Ability to be a strong ambassador for the station

Application Details: Please include a video demo link with your application.
Application Deadline: April 20 2022.

Now what if no one applies by the deadline date? Do they call on someone from their sister station in Windsor or an out of province CTV station like Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Atlantic or Vancouver? Because sometimes they usually post sometimes on their own local CTV website that a new anchor will be replacing the current one. Like when Tara Overholt left CTV London in August 2018 Camille Ross was the new anchor but than she left in late March of 2019 to be close to her family like what Sacha Long is going to do.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Nice wish list, for an entire news department in a major news organization. They want a low level station gopher who has the credentials and reputation of a top international newscaster, who is willing to do the jobs formerly done by an entire crew of staff, and be willing to work for an underfunded backwater station with a tiny audience that is owned by a company that has a reputation of firing experienced staff to keep staff costs at minimum wage level. They'll probably end up with a college graduate who has little or no experience.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There were zero local news stories during the first half hour of the CTV Kitchener newscast, this evening. That's right: zero. Everything aired was national, international, and out-of-market stuff.
Then, weekend anchor Tony "Disgrace" did a brief VO/SOT about a stabbing in Guelph, before it was back to stories pulled from other CTV stations.
So, has CTV eliminated shifts of all of its local weekend reporters videographers? Nobody filed an actual local report, tonight! :confused:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
There were zero local news stories during the first half hour of the CTV Kitchener newscast, this evening. ...So, has CTV eliminated shifts of all of its local weekend reporters videographers? Nobody filed an actual local report, tonight! :confused:
Easter weekend. News is usually sparse or they probably had their reporting staff on holiday.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tonight's CTV Kitchener News at 6 before the break the graphic cards had the wrong placement for the name of the stories that are coming up like the 1st one was supposed to be called "Tipping More" and the 2nd one was supposed to be "Retro Swap Meet" 🤦‍♂️.
Tableware Photograph Drinkware Light Cup
Photograph Screenshot Font Rectangle Snapshot

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well well well well Jaden Lee Lincoln messed up on tonight's CTV London News at 6. After the story that was borrowed from CTV Barrie about Blue Mountain Ski closing up for the season. Jaden thought that we were going to a break but did not realize Gary Archibald was standing by in the weather center. Like really Jaden? Did you not see Gary on your teleprompter screen. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ Also where is Julie Atchison lately? She has been off the whole week last week and we are almost to the final week of the month where Sacha Long is leaving CTV London.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Today's CTV Kitchener News at Noon another technical difficulties when the story about the story about people that can no longer wear their face masks when boarding a plane That story was originated from CTV Toronto and of course someone in the control room in Toronto cannot multitask the CTV Toronto News at Noon and CTV Kitchener News at Noon ether. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
500 Posts
And she is again
Yeah, at least they put up a "London" locator graphic this time, when she's obviously sitting in front of a "Virgin Radio 97.5" control room. Interesting how they also captioned her more generically as just "Virgin Radio host" not tied to either the London or Waterloo radio station -- almost as if CTV Kitchener is paying attention to all our criticisms. 😝
For the record, I kind of like Laura Geddes; it's just the scripted pauses they leave for her to say "thanks for having me" that bugs me.

Today's CTV Kitchener News at Noon another technical difficulties when the story about the story about people that can no longer wear their face masks when boarding a plane That story was originated from CTV Toronto and of course someone in the control room in Toronto cannot multitask the CTV Toronto News at Noon and CTV Kitchener News at Noon ether. 🤦‍♂️
As was mentioned almost five years ago:
The reason for all the screw ups is the fact that the control room for CTV Kitchener is now run out of Toronto and is automated with Overdrive.
Check out Ross Video's sales pitch for its OverDrive automated production control software.
NO MISTAKES | Delivers a consistent, repeatable, error-free production across a range of operator skill sets. OverDrive enables all operators to run clean, consistent productions, every day, every time.
!!
🤣 !!
Obviously they've never watched CTV Kitchener newscasts!

Speaking of which, I wonder if this guy complained about the all-caps graphic of his name. He has a well-known woke preference for his name to appear in all lowercase. 🙄

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Yeah, at least they put up a "London" locator graphic this time, when she's obviously sitting in front of a "Virgin Radio 97.5" control room. Interesting how they also captioned her more generically as just "Virgin Radio host" not tied to either the London or Waterloo radio station -- almost as if CTV Kitchener is paying attention to all our criticisms. 😝
For the record, I kind of like Laura Geddes; it's just the scripted pauses they leave for her to say "thanks for having me" that bugs me.

As was mentioned almost five years ago:

Check out Ross Video's sales pitch for its OverDrive automated production control software.
!! 🤣 !!
Obviously they've never watched CTV Kitchener newscasts!

Speaking of which, I wonder if this guy complained about the all-caps graphic of his name. He has a well-known woke preference for his name to appear in all lowercase. 🙄

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
.... very large image and irrelevant text snipped ....
I'd like my name to be displayed using a specific font. Should CTV graphics have to comply with my wish? Are they even expected to know my preferences? Looking through the images here it looks to me like CTV's standard is to use all caps for their onscreen graphics. This isn't something about which to criticize an individual station.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Should CTV graphics have to comply with my wish? Are they even expected to know my preferences? Looking through the images here it looks to me like CTV's standard is to use all caps for their onscreen graphics. This isn't something about which to criticize an individual station.
The Waterloo Region Record newspaper has bowed to his wishes on more than one occasion, even breaking their own typographic format just to satisfy the wokies. I find it amusing because text articles posted on CTV's website have always methodically spelled his name in all lowercase, but not the supers on TV. Makes you wonder what these anti capital letter folks think of their government issued IDs being in all caps. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
The Waterloo Region Record newspaper has bowed to his wishes on more than one occasion, even breaking their own typographic format just to satisfy the wokies. I find it amusing because text articles posted on CTV's website have always methodically spelled his name in all lowercase, but not the supers on TV. Makes you wonder what these anti capital letter folks think of their government issued IDs being in all caps. :rolleyes:
Your views are all interesting but what has this has to do with "CTV London Gets Worse" which is the point of this particular thread?

481 - 500 of 526 Posts