Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
321 - 340 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
that means it bias just happens to agree with yours.
And the CBC, indeed agrees with yours.

Have no clue what this has to do with Local News and I'm still waiting for those numerous other options for Local News that you mentioned... but I'm sure you know more about local Windsor/London news way out East than we do.

I watch CTV2 local news, the rest of the programming can go unwatched as Corner Gas and whatever junk they play won't work for me. This should be the point where people realize that a low budget station produces a low budget newscast, which isn't much different than the one on the other channels in the same market.

I don't get Toronto stations, but I'm sure the local newscasts have a higher budget and there are many more than in a small market - here.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Knowledge of local geography proven, yet again, to be a forgotten skill for CTV newscasters. Second story into today's noon news on CTV Kitchener, and Daryl Morris reads the prompter without flinching about a fire at "the Frito-Lay plant in Kitchener" while showing video of the factory's sign that clearly says "Cambridge operations" because it's in Cambridge, not Kitchener. :rolleyes:

CTV's also making strange bedfellows by starting to air commercials during local newscasts, for CBC's scripted shows.

·
Registered
311 Posts
CTV's also making strange bedfellows by starting to air commercials during local newscasts, for CBC's scripted shows.
Should a small market station give up advertising revenue? I truly don't understand some of the comments in here.

I watch the CTV2 Local news and they have provincial and national stories all the time. Fact checking and getting stories right is usually secondary to getting the news out in time for 6PM.

My Roku device is advertising "Run the Burbs", a CBC Gem show... and I searched for CBC Gem on Roku, which doesn't exist. I guess advertising revenue is a thing. Just like that Bill where the Federal Liberals gave media outlets a bunch of money and tax breaks... there hasn't been a bad story on the Liberals, ever since. They didn't even cover his racist chapter play. Must be a coincidence, eh?

Maybe this is when people wake up and smell the roses.

It's posted correctly to the website, at 6:42am ^, by the way. It was either the teleprompter's flub or the newscaster. Definitely not the first and won't be the last.

·
Registered
93 Posts
While I was watching CTV News London the other night when Sacha Long was talking about the new way of tracking COVID cases in London. The screen showed the number of cases but then it showed the dual screen with the text "Weather With Julie Atchison" instead. But than a couple of seconds later it went back to the COVID report screen. It looks like the guy on the control switch thought they were ready to do the weather report.
Black Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

On another note I noticed they used some the newer music packages like CTV Toronto and Kitchener like during the end of the newscast but most of the times they go back to the older ones they used since 2011 with the older graphics. Like come on its 2022 and it would be good for a change.

Update: I was browsing their videos on their website and they put the 6 o'clock newscast for January 15 in the News at 11 section on the CTV London website but they did not put the 11 newscast video for Saturday but it did air on Saturday and Sunday nights. But the CTV Windsor site has the 11 regional newscast but for some reason it is titled CTV News London at 11 on the Windsor site in which the regional newscast was supposed to be from the CTV London Studio not the Windsor Studio. Can anyone explain what is going on?
Font Screenshot Parallel Audio equipment Illustration
Font Line Audio equipment Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
93 Posts
And here we go again..... Someone did not place the text properly. This is from Thursdays newscast

World Map Ecoregion Azure Line

On Windsor's newscast tonight the screen went black for a moment when they were talking about the COVID situation in Windsor than it went back to the graphic screen but did not show the rest of the information. I assume the control room is at the London studio. Also during the end credits they forgot to remove Stefanie Masotti's name from the weekend anchor role because she is not back yet from her maternity leave. She returns at the end of February.
World Product Organism Gesture Font
World Light Blue Lighting Organism
Sky Building Natural landscape Asphalt Land lot

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
You do realize that few of us would ever notice these mistakes unless we deliberately went looking for them? Reminds me of the zealots in the days of early colour TV who spent their time adjusting the picture in pursuit of the perfect colour and never had time to watch the actual programme.

·
Registered
553 Posts
On tonight’s 11pm CTV2 news, newbie anchor Jaden Lee-Lincoln stated that when a portion of the Space Station returns to Earth, it will splash down in an UNNHIBITED part of the ocean.
Does it never end?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Does it never end?
Nope, never. Right off the top of yesterday's CTV Kitchener noonhour newscast, they couldn't even get the reporter's Twitter handle to match his name:

Also amusing how they made a totally irrelevant big deal out of promoting someone to (consistently) anchor the six o'clock news, and then haven't bothered to update the vacant anchor mugshot beneath "watch CTV News Kitchener" on the station's homepage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does it never end?
Not really, their video clips are sometimes not playing most of the time. CTV News Windsor's newscast at 6 on Tuesday February 1 was only 15 seconds long of an advertisement of Ancestry possibly from the 5 o'clock airing of Dr Phil? But then they fixed the video and it was the full newscast. However it was rushed, they edited out the radio station ads like what CTV London airs on their 6 o'clock newscast.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel
Photograph Textile Organism Screenshot Fun

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tonight's newscast: When Reta Ismail was doing the first part of the weather the Right Now screen showed the temperature -12 but then a few seconds the temperature went down to -11. Jaden Lee-Lincoln messed up during the report of St Joseph hospital she said "as a new piece of hardware will giv or that a new piece of hardware will give them." After showing the stocks report the blue lights in the studio were so bright and glaring I could not even tell if the picture quality was so good. London and Windsor's newscasts are going to be online this Saturday because of the PGA Golf on CTV2 and on Sunday it will be half-hour late at 6:30 PM. It has been a while since Reta has done the weather. Did she do the regional news for London and Windsor before? Because last time she did it was on the weekend of October 30 and 31st and now its Sija Lu doing it from the Windsor Studio.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well CTV Kitchener has done it again more graphic card mistakes. During the 11:30 newscast they were talking about the Omicron sub variant and when the CEO Medical Officer of Health of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Dr. Nicola Mercer was speaking there was a small rectangle shape between Nicola and Mercer on the graphic name card.
Eyebrow Eyelash Jaw Gesture Television presenter

This is absolutely getting ridiculous here.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Have you thought of making a formal submission to the CRTC or Broadcast Standards or even CTV's head office with your complaints. Making here isn't going to change anything.

By the way I've seen that same rectangle on CBC Newsnetwork and CNN. It happens on the best of them.

321 - 340 of 526 Posts