Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Unfortunately I cannot control myself any longer and must make another comment about CTV London. No direct comment on the news readers.....but the content. Numerous Network stories with no local connection other than to fill time etc etc More stories from CTV Kitchener. All the usual previous comments. The Christmas period has been the worst yet...something has to be happening other than revolving news readers. Why do I even watch the channel...guess many years of interest in the community. A habit hard to break. The station only exists as a means to burn off programs bought by CTV that they do not have room for on the main network and to carry NFL football. So sad, considering the history of CFPL-TV, and its contribution to Canadian broadcasting. Soon even those memories will disappear as we "old folk" depart. .........................

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unfortunately I cannot control myself any longer and must make another comment about CTV London. No direct comment on the news readers.....but the content. Numerous Network stories with no local connection other than to fill time etc etc More stories from CTV Kitchener. All the usual previous comments. The Christmas period has been the worst yet...something has to be happening other than revolving news readers. Why do I even watch the channel...guess many years of interest in the community. A habit hard to break. The station only exists as a means to burn off programs bought by CTV that they do not have room for on the main network and to carry NFL football. So sad, considering the history of CFPL-TV, and its contribution to Canadian broadcasting. Soon even those memories will disappear as we "old folk" depart. .........................
You do realize the state of Canadian TV production is terrible, right? When you put on CTV 2 it has Corner Gas, Mad About You or some other reject from outer space.

NFL Football is one of the only watchable things on the network, besides the local Windsor news. It's actually pretty good, don't know why the complainers are on here all the time. It's not like the USA, we don't have school shootings and murders every day. Not much to put on the news besides Covid.

But most on here are the typical Canadian, complaining about things that don't matter but seemingly crickets about Trillion dollar debts and the loss of freedoms.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Why does the London station even exist. For another holiday the station choose to run a Holmes show inside of trying to do a local newscast at six. It is a shame how far CTV has gone in destroying one of Canada's heritage broadcasting television stations.
That Holmes show was shown instead of local news on a number of CTV stations I can receive from across the country. Don't blame CTV London for it. BTW. The Holmes show in question provided a feel good break from the otherwise depressing COVID saga. It showed Mr. Holmes and his crew along with help from some of the students giving a facelift to a high school woodworking shop. Seems like an appropriate story for Christmas.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What we’re seeing here is ‘Contractual Obligation Broadcasting’.
They likely have to provide a certain number of hours of news casting, regardless of the quality or location of the stories.
And it shows.
They’re just lazy and and indifferent.
They’re too cheap to have the local reporters on call should something big go down, and rely on other outlets to share their footage.

Sadly, this station will tank. BELL’s streamlining and cost cutting have guaranteed this.
It’s just a matter of time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Anything and everything to do with CTV is going down the drain.

I think it was on Boxing Day that I happened to watch some of the inevitable sole-source CTV Toronto newscast being aired on CTV2 Barrie. Sometime around the final ten minute mark, the signal abruptly switched to some NBC network feed, but the "CTV News Toronto" bug stayed in the bottom right corner. This lasted until a rough cut to the final commercial break, and it never returned to CTV News. Umm, rhetorically speaking, how's that happen?

Then, a family member noticed that the first repeat episode of "The Social" aired on Monday was, thoughtlessly, one with a recently-deceased guest host. Not a tribute, just Murphy's Law, and status quo at Bell Media. Yep, great choice, CTV. One wonders if they're already experimenting with AI automation for production and master controls, with all these FUBAR mistakes.

The revolving door at CTV Kitchener is spinning faster everyday, too. Rosie Del Campo announced she's not returning after her maternity leave; gee, I wonder why. Tony Grace is doing stints at CTV News Channel. Jessica Smith is moonlighting with CTV Toronto, just as her predecessor did.

People are regularly complaining on CTV's social media pages that CTV must now stand for "COVID Television" because every single newscast is packed with alarmist hyperbole and unnecessary minutia.

And CTV's "Your Morning" is spiraling into a complete joke. Everyday they have a segment where the hosts exaggerate their reactions to dumb videos they find on TikTok: a truly riveting broadcast! It's almost as dumb as the propensity of CTV News to just read tweets and think that qualifies as journalism. :rolleyes:

In 2022, CTV should resolve to do better, but we all know Bell will almost certainly stay the course.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
There are so many factors in the decline of Canadian broadcasting that it could fill a large book. Ultimately, the takeover of small market stations by big corporations guaranteed their total decline and failure as a viable entity. If it were not for the requirement of a nearby OTA signal for simsubs most would have been shut down years ago. The only reason stations like CTV London are still on air is because simsubs generate a profit from national advertising for the networks and TV services owned by the same company. The purchase of small broadcasters by companies that own cable and satellite services, and TV national networks should never have been approved by the CRTC. Small broadcasters in the US were protected by the FCC and the situation is much better there, even in markets smaller than that served by CTV London.

As for the mess at smaller market stations. What does CTV expect when they fire all their experienced staff and turn the controls over to recent community college graduates and control centres in a distant cities?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
What we’re seeing here is ‘Contractual Obligation Broadcasting’.
They likely have to provide a certain number of hours of news casting, regardless of the quality or location of the stories.
And it shows.
They’re just lazy and and indifferent.
They’re too cheap to have the local reporters on call should something big go down, and rely on other outlets to share their footage.

Sadly, this station will tank. BELL’s streamlining and cost cutting have guaranteed this.
It’s just a matter of time.
It's Christmas for Pete's sake. The local reporters are likely on vacation and every station in North America uses any filler reports that they can get their hands on as real news is kind of scarce. Now this thread is about supposed to be about CTV London. Half the problems people have raised talk about network programming over which CTV London has no control. Let's make that distinction shall we and stay on topic?

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's Christmas for Pete's sake. The local reporters are likely on vacation and every station in North America uses any filler reports that they can get their hands on as real news is kind of scarce. Now this thread is about supposed to be about CTV London. Hall the problems people have raised talk about network programming over which CTV London has no control. Let's make that distinction shall we and stay on topic?
It's sad to see people complain so much about a small market station (network) giving small market content and coverage.

It's just people expecting big things and that are used to beautiful people and huge budgets on US broadcasts. Maybe reality will set in with them soon, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
It's Christmas for Pete's sake. The local reporters are likely on vacation...
Here, it seems like they left town years ago and maybe just one or two reporters remain for a population of over half a million people. If they exist, they might not even live here. Filler pieces with stock video or pictures is the norm. Then they repeat the no-news 5 times a day. 40-50 years ago the same station produced at least 2 hours of local news a day plus several more hours of locally produced programming. Even better is that they made a profit. CTV now claims to be losing money producing about 30 minutes of local news shared between three stations in a market of over one million people.

·
Registered
524 Posts
9k, so we had news at 6 today, but no 11 o’clock news again tonight?
There is a hot link on the CTV2 London website to take you to the news at 11, but it takes you to a screen that says there is no broadcast currently scheduled for this time and to check back later.
There is however an episode of e-talk, whatever that is.
It cojld be worse I suppose, they could run an episode of that meeting of the brain trust known as ‘The Social’.
CTV2 is the ONLY Canadian Channel on Rogers that does not have news.
CTV2 Ottawa is showing news.

the end is near

• Haha
Reactions: mr.eous

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I don't know why people still watch this crap. Tons of news sources available online, and we all know CTV is garbage. Why act like it's ever going to be anything other than "do the bare minimum we can get away with so we retain our business model of simsub American content and cancon reruns?".

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you want to watch "London"/"Windsor" news, what other sources exist? I agree, for general News there are online video sources. For written news, there are sources.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know why people still watch this crap. Tons of news sources available online, and we all know CTV is garbage. Why act like it's ever going to be anything other than "do the bare minimum we can get away with so we retain our business model of simsub American content and cancon reruns?".
CTV 2 is less biased than the Windsor Star and CBC here in Windsor. Don't know what London is like as I don't live there.

Don't know what online video newscast you are using for Local news, maybe you should enlighten us so we can check them out. I don't know of one that exists in my city other than CBC and CTV2.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You'd never get this newscast in Canada. Stop dreaming. You might get one filling their face with poutine or falling on ice, instead.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
CTV 2 is less biased than the Windsor Star and CBC here in Windsor. Don't know what London is like as I don't live there.

Don't know what online video newscast you are using for Local news, maybe you should enlighten us so we can check them out. I don't know of one that exists in my city other than CBC and CTV2.
CTV is plenty biased, just in a different way. It certainly is out here on the East Coast. But there's CBC, maybe still a local paper, possibly something on radio. There's better options that constantly watching the pathetic excuse for a broadcast CTV puts on while complaining about it as if it's ever going to improve so long as people watch it.

All people watching it tells Bell is that zero effort is good enough.

·
Registered
296 Posts
CTV is plenty biased, just in a different way. It certainly is out here on the East Coast. But there's CBC, maybe still a local paper, possibly something on radio. There's better options that constantly watching the pathetic excuse for a broadcast CTV puts on while complaining about it as if it's ever going to improve so long as people watch it.

All people watching it tells Bell is that zero effort is good enough.
So in reality, there is very little else to watch if you are just saying the options that I already spoke about.

You must not delve that closely if you think the CBC isn't biased... but I'm talking about LOCAL news. What you see out East could have nothing to do with us here in Windsor/London, Ontario as your market is even smaller.

Everyone should know that small market newscasts won't match up to high dollar ones, belaboring the point is an exercise in futility. Put on Bell Xpressvu and watch CNN if you want.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This being one of many weekends where local evening news on CTV is pre-empted by NFL games, in addition to watching the brief webcast they put online, I sometimes flip to CTV2 Barrie, to watch CTV Toronto's former "flagship" newscast. I've noticed, recently, that CTV Toronto sure airs a lot of stories originating from CTV Kitchener. Is this a new thing, or have they always sprinkled out-of-market news into their broadcasts? It's mixed content: not just fluff and filler. My inner cynic wonders if this is being done to rightsize Bell Media staff in Agincourt, or worse, to slowly wean viewers off CTV Kitchener so they can shut it down as if Kitchener will become just a 100km suburb of Toronto. :unsure:
Maybe we should all blame Michael Melling's ladder climbing for the ever-worsening of CTV News in southern Ontario. I remember when he started as a reporter at CTV Kitchener; now, with MBA in hand, he's weaseled all the way up to head of CTV News.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You must not delve that closely if you think the CBC isn't biased... but I'm talking about LOCAL news. What you see out East could have nothing to do with us here in Windsor/London, Ontario as your market is even smaller.
I didn't say it wasn't biased. I said CTV is just as biased. And if you think its not, that means it bias just happens to agree with yours.

301 - 320 of 328 Posts