Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
The big difference is money. CTV underfunds local programming so badly that they won't be able to hire any talent with experience, only newly graduated community college graduates. It's obvious that CTV doesn't care. They fired almost everyone with talent and experience years ago. Most of them have moved to related careers or unrelated occupations. I've known a few of the popular local broadcasting people who predated the gutting of local stations by Bell, Rogers and Global. One went on to manage and produce local music talent. The other went into health care. Another volunteered at community radio stations for awhile and then retired.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The big difference is money. CTV underfunds local programming so badly that they won't be able to hire any talent with experience, only newly graduated community college graduates. It's obvious that CTV doesn't care. They fired almost everyone with talent and experience years ago. Most of them have moved to related careers or unrelated occupations. I've known a few of the popular local broadcasting people who predated the gutting of local stations by Bell, Rogers and Global. One went on to manage and produce local music talent. The other went into health care. Another volunteered at community radio stations for awhile and then retired.
That's funny... CTV2 in Windsor was bragging about their "HD Camera" in 2021. They finally went to HD for their newscast instead of upscaling whatever SD they were doing beforehand. It was instantly noticeable if you watch the newscast regularly like me.

Seriously, they have no budget. Getting an HD camera 15-20 years after the rest of the developed world... that's bloody ridiculous.

I do remember a time where Windsor had no local news, so at least we have 2 of them now. Both in HD ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
She's good looking. Cijia Liu is too and she flubs a lot of material on air. But she's getting better. Canadian local broadcasts vs American is like the Minors vs the Pros. They pay big money over in Detroit and very little in comparison in a small market Ontario city.

I didn't pickup any of the mannerisms you are talking about... she's on the Windsor CTV2 newscast sometimes. We get the London regional broadcasters on the weekends usually, here in Windsor.

I've seen a lot worse than her. When we get an actual great news anchor in Windsor on CBC or CTV2, they end up leaving for more money to a bigger city.
Agreed.
She is very good looking.
With a voice best suited for the print media.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Again, not seeing the aversions to her voice or mannerisms... and my TV is always cranked with my Home Theater setup.
Here is a more restrained presentation of her ‘delivery’. CFPL/CHWI - CTV News at 6 (London & Windsor) - Open April 4, 2021

Perhaps it’s because our local anchor Sasha is so stiff, that this variation is more noticeable.
To me, the mannerisms are noticeable, even on a 32” screen and the speakers found therein.

Peace.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well, they’re at it again. Yesterday’s 6pm news, they had a segment to honour recent high school graduates.
The second person shown was indicated to be a ‘Steve Harvie’ from Medway.
Except that it wasn’t.
The picture was of a friend’s son who graduated from KING’S COLLEGE at UW in his graduation gown……idiots…

·
Registered
101 Posts
Low budget, small market Canadian TV newscasts... not surprising. You are expecting too much, watch a US local broadcast where the anchors are making $200k and they get their clothes furnished by designers. They attract the best broadcasters and union tradespeople to run the behind the scenes.

You have to take it as it is, not what you think it should be. After all, Michigan has no restrictions at all starting today and we can't eat in a restaurant. They have major network shows playing to millions and CTV2 has Corner Gas reruns with 75 people watching.

Totally different world.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
So explain why Erie PA, population 101,786 in 2010 (and shrinking), has 6 TV stations while London-Middlesex, population 455,526 in 2016 (and rapidly growing), has only one station. Some of the Erie stations had laughable newscasts at one time but it was obviously because the stations were independent had no resources to do better. The oldest Erie station, WICU, had quite professional newscasts. CTV2 London also had very professional newscasts when it was independently owned but now has deteriorated to a low budget joke despite having the resources of CTV and Bell behind it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Erie stations are probably owned by large media companies that have many stations and share financial resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Erie stations are probably owned by large media companies that have many stations and share financial resources.
It's something like that... Scripps owns many stations (and networks) in the US market but unlike Bell Media, they made an investment in Local OTA and is building 3.0 infrastructure while spending big money on talent.

Here, shoestring budget... over there - lots of money to be had. Most OTA network stations are owned by large media conglomerates.

In Canada so many people like paying $100/month for Cable/Satellite that they don't really care about OTA nor do the media companies. If the 3 Windsor stations just quit overnight, I still have 55 other channels to watch because I'm close to Detroit. We'll see what happens but I doubt anything other than status quo happens in the next decade.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Some of the Erie stations were independent originally. So was CTV2 London before 1990. Note sure when CTV Kitchener was sold to CTV. It still doesn't explain why many major markets in Canada have only one station while US markets with only a small fraction of the population have a full compliment of network stations, many originally independently owned in both countries. Canada's networks claim to be national but they exclude a large percentage of Canadians.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Because the CRTC doesn't care and the USA has embraced Free OTA since the inception of TV. I believe they are legally obligated to give some sort of TV signal, terrestrially.

It's just a different country. Why is their beer watered down and ours isn't? Why is a Gallon of Milk over there $1.59 and it's $4.29 here for half the size?

Big cash over there and they have millions of eyes on their OTA TV while we have very little. Our cable companies have monopolies and not much competition. They basically do whatever they want.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Why is a Gallon of Milk over there $1.59 and it's $4.29 here for half the size?
Because of a government enforced cartel system allowing suppliers to control the market, stifle competition, and thus dictate prices.

Which sounds an awful lot like the CRTC backed oligopoly that rules telecom and gives us this kind of nonsense.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Because of a government enforced cartel system allowing suppliers to control the market, stifle competition, and thus dictate prices.

Which sounds an awful lot like the CRTC backed oligopoly that rules telecom and gives us this kind of nonsense.
Bingo.

And our system just got worse with Bill C-10 that the commies just passed. Not long before everything we hear, see, think will be scrutinized and regulated.

Oh well, welcome to Canada. I'm still close enough to catch the airwaves of a truly free country.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Take a look at real communist and authoritarian countries sometime. In countries like Russia and China (and many others) the broadcasting industry is owned by the government and only broadcasts government dictated news and propaganda. Journalists and dissenters are often jailed, tortured and sometimes killed. I agree that government supported oligarchies are an issue but it's not much different in a lot of other counties, including Europe. Then there is the US that has much less regulation but allows media empires and their owners to censor news and broadcast disinformation in order to promote radical personal opinions of the owners, increase personal wealth and create political chaos.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Give Canada some time, we'll be getting there.

Getting a little off topic, but I'm not a big fan. CRTC is a bloody joke and we should have more freedoms, not C-10 that the average Canadian zombie has no clue about.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts