Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Keeping things consistent, tonight while she was introducing the piece about the reststop shootup, Sasha mispronounced the surname of another CTV colleague from the Kitchener station, Heather SENoran as ‘SENORan’. Heather even says her name at the end of the piece.
How difficult can this be? Jesus.
Yeah, that's pretty bad, but get this: the same reporter who I chastised two posts up, Tegan Versolatto, actually mispronounced her own name, live on air, the other day. That's right, I kid you not: mispronounced her own name, then corrected herself. Facepalms don't even do justice.

And what's with an increasing number of local CTV News reports that don't bother to use peoples' full names? For certain sensitive and legal situations, it's perfectly acceptable to disguise the identity of someone being interviewed, but now they're putting supers in front of ordinary people only using an initial for their lastname. There was even a recent story about a small business owner, and in the clip of her talking in her store, the graphic credited her as something like "Jane D., owner, ABC Store" -- seriously? So, the manager/owner is A-OK with being interviewed inside their own store, no less, but doesn't want their last name broadcast, and CTV complies? I've even seen a number of examples where they've gotten so casual that they just credit people by their firstname. Has privacy gone to the extreme, or are those producing the news getting so lazy that they conveniently forget to ask subjects for their full name?
*Ahh, very ironic: as I'm typing this with CTV Kitchener news at six on beside me, in yet another report with no lastname for the lead subject being interviewed, they actually said the person asked to keep their lastname private. But even then, why is this acceptable as news, just because a person doesn't want their full name on TV? Soon things will devolve into a totally anonymous free-for-all.

·
Registered
509 Posts
They’re not even trying any more. Time to switch to Global or CHCH

·
Registered
446 Posts
They’re not even trying any more.
Even the local commercials that supposedly pay their bills, are riddled with mistakes.
Case in point: CTV Kitchener's been running ads for The Welbeck Sawmill for months. Everyday, during every newscast. There's two different ads, one only a slight variation of the other. Each one has narrator voiceover, but one starts with a remark that they've been in business "for over 150 years" and the other says "160 years". At first I thought it was just another gaffe by CTV's in-house creative services department, but on www.welbecksawmill.com/about it says they've been around for "over 170 years"! :rolleyes:
Laughably, the contact person for advertising sales in both Kitchener and London is someone from Toronto.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
CTV errors aside, one would think that it would be on the advertiser to get that corrected.

You should change your username to CTVWatchdog. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lot of comments since I started this thread a long time ago. Perhaps the title should be changed: CTV 2 Gets Worse! It really wants me to write "worser"!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tonight on the 11 o’clock news on CTV2 London, guest anchor Stefanie Mazzotti had her Tim Horton’s cup prominently displayed in front of her to her right in one of the segments.
The top of the cup was visible and the cup, down to the bottom of the sleeve. At least it wasn’t a bucket of cluck!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yup, same in Windsor too as of yesterday.

I wonder if it means that the stations will still be around for a few more years?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Was just going to post this. Someone needs to check the studio lighting though, it seems too harsh especially compared to news field reports be they local or from other CTV sources.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Was just going to post this. Someone needs to check the studio lighting though, it seems too harsh especially compared to news field reports be they local or from other CTV sources.
I noticed that too. It's almost like the sharpness is turned up too high. The newscasters' eyes seem much too bright and sparkly (and not in a good way).

·
Registered
140 Posts
HD does little for the content! Still one of the worst newscasts on television. Why do they continue to use clips from the day before CTV newscast? Incidentally the London Free Press is rapidly going down the drain.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Incidentally the London Free Press is rapidly going down the drain.
Yeah, but has the London Free Press sold their offices because they're convinced that "work from home" is now permanent? And is it now reduced to a single-section "newspaper"? Waterloo Region Record made both these changes, recently, on their way towards oblivion.

Anyway, I think that more generally, CTV2 is worsening. Today, I happened to notice they were running a Larry King "OmegaXL" supplement infomercial at 1PM. Reality check: he died three months ago, so is his estate contractually obligated to continue the tacky testimonials posthumously? A paid advertisement for a health supplement endorsed by a dead guy isn't exactly conducive to sales! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
That just shows how much CTV cares about CTV2 stations and local viewers. They will air anything, no matter how tacky, that pays for advertising and production costs. If it provides both with no overhead then that's just better for the bottom line, management bonuses and shareholder dividends. Viewers are unimportant, unless it's for highly rated simsubs with deep pocketed national advertisers during prime time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
^^ Ads that run on CTV are genuinely bizarre. CTV Kitchener has been airing commercials for Tommy Gun's barber shops, everyday, for over a month, even though haircutting salons across the entire province are closed by order of public health laws.

Time for another criticism of their newscasts: new anchordesk recruit, Ricardo Veneza, proved he has zero knowledge of local geography, stumbling to ad lib during a throw to commercial on Sunday night's CTV News Kitchener at Six for Sunday, May 2, 2021 @ 24:30

We've got a shot, here, uhh, in Kitchener-Waterloo region, a couple ducks enjoying a local stream, in, uhh, a local park, as we uhh, move on, on this Sunday. We've got more on the way coming up next.
Mmmhmm, can't even recognize a live shot from the most central and most prominent public park in K-W, eh? Funny, Victoria Park has existed in downtown Kitchener since 1896. 🤦‍♂️

241 - 255 of 255 Posts