Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Would that be the wonderful BELL fibre line?
This reminds me of a situation I had about a decade ago at the Rogers store at Fairview Park Mall in Kitchener. I was paying a bill and their internet kept going down, took 20+ minutes before I could swipe my card and leave, turned out their internet was via Bell (must have been a deal with Cadillac Fairview, the property owner). When I found out I asked "Why the hell don't you guys use Rogers internet via phone?", the reply was, "It's too expensive".

Neither of these protected Oligopolies offer decent service or even remotely decent news. I'm all for criticizing the shambolic production values they employ but I don't think it's fair to attack the presenters, they're doing their best given the terrible support and forced dialog (ie: commercials within news stories).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Aaaaand another newscast, another proud moment in broadcasting.

During the segment covering the snow storm in NFLD, which was sourced from NTV (Newfoundland CTV), the voice-over which sounded like it was Sacha Long ( again), referred to the event as ‘snow-mega Don’.

I think some remedial English lessons are in order.
LOL, last night, This Hour Has 22 Minutes made fun of that very NTV reporter's mispronunciation @ 1:39 into this clip.

Today's noon newscast on CTV Kitchener was proof that CTV News does not learn from its mistakes. The very same "0000" graphics appeared during the business segment, as the ones that I pointed out almost a year ago. Anchor lady Rosie, err, Grossie Del Campo didn't flinch, again, as if nothing went wrong. That's the thing that bugs me the most: staff playing along with the mistakes, in complete ignorance.

Then, a few weeks ago, Bell satellite channel 1045 (CTV Kitchener) incorrectly aired the CTV Toronto noon newscast for about the first 15 minutes until somebody in megamaster control woke up and hard cut to CTV Kitchener already in progress. Interestingly, this routing mistake didn't affect Kitchener's over-the-air signal, but I love it when Bell's "ExpressVu" broadcast distribution arm manages to screw up its own regularly scheduled (CTV) programming. :rolleyes:

Oh, and lookie here: they're already leaning towards robo-news!
If you see the CTVNewsKitchener.ca Staff byline rather than a byline for a specific reporter, writer or producer, it may be that the story was a piece of content based on the work of several people. It may be a collaboration based on the work of several journalists at CTV News, including and not limited to: writers, producers, reporters, trusted content from wire agencies
Pfff, yeah, more like a way for staff to hide behind their collective incompetence.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Another ‘Golden Moment In Broadcasting’, during the 6pm news Friday , in a story on Loblaws, Sasha told us that the CEOs name was GA-Lon Weston. Maybe it’s time for a phonetic teleprompter.

Ask Bruce COCK-burn!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've resisted pointing out how CTV News continues to leapfrog its own gaffes, especially during the pandemic, but here's a dandy example of bungling a local tradition:

Gee, the rural community of Breslau sure has urbanized quickly! :rolleyes:
This was the lead into a story about Kitchener-Waterloo's Oktoberfest keg tapping ceremony that happened in Breslau, but the reporter is most definitely standing in downtown Kitchener, contrary to her locator graphic. They make these mistakes all the time, but this one is especially ridiculous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
CTV London should be closed down. Some of the originals must be choking in heaven or where ever they may be. Some nights a half decent newscast...some nights rehash CTV clips...infomercials in the morning...second run CTV shows...and repeats of former syndicated shows..it goes on and on. Close it down and have one CTV station for Southwestern Ontario. It appears that nobody cares anymore about quality and relevance. What ever happened to the CRTC...lets get rid of that also. You never know who the on-air presenter will be....sorry but as Porky Pig used to say..."that's all folks"

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
It's not just CTV London. Every TV station, radio station and newspaper are going down the same toilet due to acquisitions by large corporations. All they care about is making making money to create inflated CEO bonuses and stock prices. CRTC policies have failed to stop the slide. Consumers are getting even by spending their money and time elsewhere and it's only going to get worse as technology makes traditional broadcasting obsolete.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Lol. Just before the commercial break CTV London does their weather snap shot and the voice over says "find out how long will the wild weather last on CTV Windsor" pause - audible gasp and up pops the CTV News London card. The perils of centralization.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Lol. Just before the commercial break CTV London does their weather snap shot and the voice over says "find out how long will the wild weather last on CTV Windsor" pause - audible gasp and up pops the CTV News London card. The perils of centralization.
Ahaha! I love being able to stream old newscasts so I can see these embarassing mistakes: CTV News London at Six for Wednesday, December 23, 2020 -- skip ahead to around 18:10 for those who missed what @LONSat mentioned
Looks like another gaffe thanks to an inexperienced weather presenter, Sijia Liu. Maybe if CTV London and Windsor didn't keep forcing their staff to alternate between every job at the stations, these mistakes wouldn't happen.
I also noticed that Julie Atchison's been squeezed away from weather to anchoring the six o'clock newscast. Yikes, she looks better doing weather! :whistle:

Meanwhile, over at CTV Kitchener, relatively longtime reporter/anchor Max Wark has quit, likely tired of the pathetic levels he and his coworkers have to stoop to, working for Bell Media. He was one of few half-decent people left at the station, so the worsening continues.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Looks like another gaffe thanks to an inexperienced weather presenter, Sijia Liu.
It could just as easily be due to a mistake on a teleprompter script. That doesn't excuse CTV for creating conditions that produce programming with such mistakes, for any reason.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unbelievable: even staff who've been working at CTV Kitchener for more than three years can't get their local geography straight.

Tonight, in the first sentence of her prerecorded story on the demolition order of a historical building in Cambridge, Natalie van Rooy began with "sitting tall over Franklin Boulevard..." but the subject building is on Fountain Street, not even anywhere close to Franklin Blvd.!! o_O
I was so amazed that someone could get this particular landmark location wrong, I even rolled back my PVR and checked the closed captioning, and yep: that's what she said.
Anyone relying on CTV local news to be accurate information must struggle understanding the world we live in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ahaha! I love being able to stream old newscasts so I can see these embarassing mistakes: CTV News London at Six for Wednesday, December 23, 2020 -- skip ahead to around 18:10 for those who missed what @LONSat mentioned
Looks like another gaffe thanks to an inexperienced weather presenter, Sijia Liu. Maybe if CTV London and Windsor didn't keep forcing their staff to alternate between every job at the stations, these mistakes wouldn't happen.
I also noticed that Julie Atchison's been squeezed away from weather to anchoring the six o'clock newscast. Yikes, she looks better doing weather! :whistle:

Meanwhile, over at CTV Kitchener, relatively longtime reporter/anchor Max Wark has quit, likely tired of the pathetic levels he and his coworkers have to stoop to, working for Bell Media. He was one of few half-decent people left at the station, so the worsening continues.
Any word on where Max has gone. Agree one of CTV Kitchener best

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guess nobody complains or cares that CTV London did not do a six o'clock newscast no matter how bad it would be. It is difficult not to watch occasionally to catch the odd snippet of local News. Woodstock is no-person land just on the edge of CTV Kitchener and CHCH Hamilton interest area and just barely in CTV London area. Glad that little news occurs here. Incidentally CHCH does have a great newscast at six o'clock one of the few with heavy local news coverage....does the CRTC even exist anymore and why if it does. " Political patronage payoffs" will be the title of my next book.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It's not just a London thing. CTV Windsor didn't have news last night nor did Barrie. As a matter of fact, CBC Windsor didn't have news either. Yesterday was essentially Boxing Day since it fell on a Saturday this year.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
CRTC policies seems to be designed to prevent local news coverage in some instances. For example, the CHCH-2 repeater license prevents the license holder from selling advertising or providing programming catering to viewers in the repeater coverage area. Instead of being able to provide news coverage for the London-Sarnia-Chatham area, and selling advertising to cover the costs, they must stick to serving only the Hamilton area. The could amend their broadcasting license to operate a seperate station but that would be far more costly. Even though CHCH-2 is listed as being in London, it is actually over 30 miles to the west and has a marginal signal in many parts of the city due to topography. Port Huron, Michigan gets a better signal than London.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tonight’s entry comes courtesy of Reta Ismael.
In reporting on the 2nd police office to pass away from the Capital Hill riot, she described him a being ‘a 15 year-old veteran of the department’.
He must have joined when he was in high school. Jesus.

Reactions: mr.eous

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tonight’s entry comes courtesy of Reta Ismael.
In reporting on the 2nd police office to pass away from the Capital Hill riot, she described him a being ‘a 15 year-old veteran of the department’.
He must have joined when he was in high school. Jesus.
^^ CTV Kitchener's Tegan Versolatto may have just one-upped the blooper reel.
Using a tired cliche, she very clearly said "exasterbated by the pandemic" instead of exacerbated, around 55 seconds into this clip. It was an entirely recorded report, aired on the six o'clock newscast, so there's no excuse for mispronunciation. Great work, Bell Media! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Keeping things consistent, tonight while she was introducing the piece about the reststop shootup, Sasha mispronounced the surname of another CTV colleague from the Kitchener station, Heather SENoran as ‘SENORan’. Heather even says her name at the end of the piece.
How difficult can this be? Jesus.

Reactions: mr.eous
221 - 240 of 255 Posts