Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes we are agreed that things cannot get worse for CTV London and Kitchener in Southwestern Ontario. Frankly both could be shuttered without a great deal of notice. CTV National News has become my new subject......last night all the opening stories were American....all about Trump. We turned it off without knowing if a Canadian Story showed up in the rest of the newscast. Something newsworthy must have happened in this country since the last CTV News. Not even one of those good news stories from Utube or a Japanese news outlet! In fairness the CBC is just about as bad. The state of news reporting in this country is beyond description. Nobody seems to care except a few old codgers like myself and a few others here. Hopefully the same standard will be applied to the upcoming election campaign and provide little or no coverage. Correction the campaign started more than a month ago....did you miss it!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I complained about the same thing on the CBC NB morning radio show not too long ago, when their top 3 stories were all American, and one of them was "some guy in Ohio's reaction to the previous story". Give me a break.

Locally they seem to be better about it here, but the national news is a crapshoot from day to day, and they seem to think "Americans say something" is automatically the most important news in Canada. It's really frustrating.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
All the talk around work is always about Trump and American politics - I don't understand why Canadian care so much about what is going on in another country and not in their own backyard. It drives me nuts all the chatter about Democrats, Republicans, Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc. that Canadians have - focus on our own problems and election in a few months!

I assume CTV is just giving their audience what they want - Trump bashing, American politics, and dirty political gossip. Most of my co-workers have no clue who is running against Trudeau in a few months. A few know the Conservatives (locally and Scheer), and if they know Singh is leading the NDP, it usually has a racist comment to go with it. I'm sure most won't vote, but they love to talk about Trump and whoever is popular in the U.S. political news cycle that day/week.

·
Registered
420 Posts
deeper worsening

Another employee with a 30 year tenure has departed from CTV Kitchener: Nancy Richards.

Great, she was the only satisfactory level-headed one left at the station. :|
I find it amusing that she's now teaching college broadcast journalism, alongside a number of her former coworkers. Hmm, ya think they got sick and tired of Bell Media's ruining of local news, and decided to walk away from the trainwreck?
There's only one on-air staffer remaining among the newbies at CTV Kitchener, with any comparable seniority -- Randy Steinman -- and he's already faced the cruel wrath of Bell cuts from his previous leadership position in sports.

Quality of local news continues to degrade. Seeing as they've peculiarly hired no less than two Meghan Furman dopplegangers (and often put them side-by-side on the anchordesk or as fill-in "weather bimbos") it's no surprise that bad journalistic habits flourish. Just yesterday, the way they described Amazon Prime Day, it sounded like a paid promotion: why did they even mention it at all?

·
Registered
129 Posts
One of the few bright spots is on her way out with a spoonful of sugar from one of the newish cutout anchors. Why would you want to teach broadcasting anymore as the current crop of broadcasters are the results of Community Colleges and Ryerson..and we all can see how that has turned out. It really has not changed since my entry into radio way back in sixties...its not the money but the ego trip. Gave up that form of employment in the early seventies and used my "skills" in the wide world of the Provincial Government. Still have the interest in communications to this day and remain appalled at what large media companies have done for the sake of profit margins. Very few of my cohorts remain in the business or are still alive. Just like most old men/women little is left but to complain.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
All of the 1970s air personalities are gone from London air waves. Most of them left 20-30 years ago and the few that remained were fired when other broadcasters bought the stations 10-20 years ago. CTV was especially ruthless with the way they got rid of veteran staff but they weren't alone. Most the production is now done in centralized studios that create content for multiple stations, either regional or in Toronto. The inexperienced skeleton staff with high turnover and lack of quality local content make them easy to ignore. The use of the internet and social media for news and entertainment doesn't help either.

There was a time when CFPL, it's sister radio stations and the local newspaper, all owned by the same person, were the main source of entertainment and news in London. Not sure that was desirable but lack of any credible local sources is not good either.

·
Registered
420 Posts
CTV Kitchener -- improves -- by losing more staff!

Looking forward to less condescending, overly-dramatized newscasts out of CTV Kitchener, now that their lead anchor is quitting television. :devil
Even her departure is being blown way out of proportion: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/meghan-furman-announces-her-departure-from-ctv-kitchener-1.4540073

Hopefully without her, they'll also stop the incessant habit of using cutesy names for neighbouring cities. Nobody calls Guelph "the royal city" or Brantford "the telephone city" or Stratford "the festival city" except her. It's not creative writing, it's using passe slogans.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
A lot of people call London "The Forest City." It's also passe since a survey done a few years ago showed London has fewer trees than many other Ontario cities. City hall still uses the slogan though. Now it's really just "The Wannabe Forest City."

·
Registered
420 Posts
^^ Some people sarcastically call it "the deforested city" instead.

As proof that CTV Kitchener never learns from their mistakes, on tonight's news, the very same "0000" graphics gaffe happened as did back on February 20, and again the anchor just read her script like nothing was wrong. :rolleyes:

Hopefully now that she's gone, they'll:

• stop excessively teasing story ledes
  • quit naming corporations for free (how about instead of constantly reporting on "a GoFundMe campaign" just say "fundraising campaign"?!!)
  • end favouritism towards former videographer staff (they keep showing reports from other CTV affiliates for seemingly no reason other than "hey, that person used to work, here, so let's run their out-of-market story as filler")
Sadly, it seems there's still a whole lotta people on social media and other online forums, who fundamentally aren't media savvy. Viewers are "sad" about the loss of their beloved face of CTV Kitchener, praising her for what she alone presented as news, not realizing she doesn't write her own scripts, nor is she the assignment editor. Her mostly female audience seemed to idolize her because they could relate to her mommy personality, and falsely credit her - individually - for covering particular issues, not realizing the station only reports on what people will watch, and what satisfies their bottom line: advertisers. It's a shame that with so much information easily available to educate one's self, the general public still can't separate those who present the news from the news itself. :|

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
It wasn't long ago that networks considered their news shows to be a public service that was allowed to report on controversial topics and didn't need to provide a big profit. Now they water the news down to please advertisers and network management. I stopped watching TV news when that all started taking place and real news reporters were replaced with political shills that have never left the news couch.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yikes, tonight's CTV Kitchener blunder takes the cake: they butchered spelling the mayor's last name with not one but two typos, when showing a picture he sent the station!!

His name is Vrbanovic, not "Vrabranovic".

Starting to wonder if drunken monkeys could do a better job assembling a local newscast...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sadly, it seems there's still a whole lotta people on social media and other online forums, who fundamentally aren't media savvy. Viewers are "sad" about the loss of their beloved face of CTV Kitchener, praising her for what she alone presented as news, not realizing she doesn't write her own scripts, nor is she the assignment editor. Her mostly female audience seemed to idolize her because they could relate to her mommy personality, and falsely credit her - individually - for covering particular issues, not realizing the station only reports on what people will watch, and what satisfies their bottom line: advertisers. It's a shame that with so much information easily available to educate one's self, the general public still can't separate those who present the news from the news itself. :|
You act like this is new. 30 years ago the news networks were big on pitching who had the "most trusted anchor", as if the anchor was out in the field doing the hard work of gathering the information instead of just presenting it.

TV news viewers have never been media savvy. People that are realize that TV news has always been watered down for the masses and have always gone elsewhere for high quality journalism.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hmm, maybe CTV isn't secretly forbidden from airing unflattering stories about their parent company after all:

Bahaha! A Bell Technical Solutions van crashed into a Jeep, and "one of the motorists was issued a ticket for failing to stop for a red light" -- gee, I wonder which one... ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
And just like that well, 2 weeks ago actually) she was gone!

Adrienne South
@AdrienneKS
·
Aug 29
Going to miss all my amazing colleagues at
@CTVLondon
. Goodbyes suck, but I’m so grateful for everything I’ve learned the last year here. Thank you for letting me share your stories. It’s been an honour to keep the seat warm for
@RetaIsmailCTV
Sunday is my last day

·
Registered
505 Posts
A new high in low.... on tonight’s weather remote, Reta Ismail was out at AppleLand, standing beside an inanimate bunch of cloth that loosely resembled an apple with a ‘face’. She called the prop Furfy the Apple, and engaged this Steven Hawking of a puppet in conversation and to give the weather report.
On the throw back to the studio, Zsazsa told her to bring Furfy back to the station because her looks like a lot of fun’.

Really?
Tyrone the talking boot had more realism (if what he had could be described as ‘realism’)
Time to pull the plug!

·
Registered
420 Posts
^^ HAHAHA! At least they're making the worsening somewhat of an entertaining trainwreck.

Tonight's CTV Kitchener newscast was another predictably selfish departure party for a staff member who has worked there for a whopping seven years. The longest segment of the entire newscast was a maudlin, phony farewell for the weather presenter, who's only moving to CTV Toronto.

Seriously, TV news media need to stop "celebritizing" on-air staff. They are supposed to be the messengers, not the demigods. Even Citytv was running endless promos for one of their staff who has returned to work after a kidney transplant, as if nobody else worthy of mention ever goes through the same thing. Sure, welcome her back, but don't turn their personal story into an opportunity to increase ratings. Oh, wait, I forgot: it's not about the objective journalism anymore, it's all about publicity for the station/network/company. :|

181 - 200 of 223 Posts