Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
As it should be. :rolleyes:
Your in Canada, paying a canadian company to provide your television service.
Expect Canadian commercials.
We have to support the Canadian television industry.

And since i pay my share to Bell, I'll be watching OTA from Buffalo. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Its too bad as consumers, we cant get a written 2 week notice from CTV that the simsub will not miss any plays, will not cut off any announcer in mid sentence, will have proper surround sound, and will have proper video quality.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Glad this only affects Shaw in Vancouver....

As well I found this part funny in the bell part of the decision:
Bell TV justified its actions by arguing that it had to perform simultaneous substitution in the same manner as cable BDUs, due to the uniqueness and importance of the Super Bowl as a "pop culture phenomenon," and in order to remain competitive with those cable BDUs. However, the Commission considers it unlikely that a significant number of subscribers would switch providers simply in order to be able to watch the Super Bowl commercials, particularly when those subscribers have invested in the DTH hardware. In any event, the Commission does not consider Bell TV’s argument to be a valid justification for departing from an accepted approach to simultaneous substitution.
Yeah many people might...Canadian Superbowl commercials SUCK!.... hey at least we have YouTube left...oh wait the CRTC might be controlling the internet too soon.

What I read here is a bunch of greedy Canadians trying to make another buck at the expense of the consumer.

Only in Canada
Shawguy

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Notwithstanding the policy of sim-subs as dictated by the CAB and enforced by the CRTC any rationale person would view this exercise as absurd. What a waste of time and effort in reviewing this matter. What a chicken-s..t organization that the CTV network has turned into. When will this country grow up and stop this nonsense. Frankly could care less about superbowl commercials but it is a principal that now requires re-examination. Its about time the babies (CTV Global ) grew up.

·
Registered
954 Posts
According to CRTC regulations, simsubs should only occur in an area where there is an OTA transmitter. Bell TV normallly simsubs HD channels across the entire country at the satellite uplink, even though there are only OTA HD transmitters in Vancouver and Toronto.

But of course CTV doesn't seem to be complaining about getting additional simsubs when they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
CTV just keeps the crap going, but that's besides the point.

Hopefully both Bell TV and Shaw will experience some horrific technical problem this year. I'll even provide a sample on screen message.
"Please be advised that due to technical difficulties, CTVHDE and CTVHDW, are currently unavailable. Please tune to NBCHDE or NBCHDW for the time being."
They could just claim that it was "down at the source". HAHA!! :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
This paragraph really gets to me:

"CTV also disagreed with Bell TV’s assertion that viewers who tune into the Super Bowl are primarily interested in the commercial messages. CTV added that those viewers who really want to see the U.S. commercials can download them from the Internet within minutes after their being broadcast during the game."

Like honestly, who the hell wouldn't want to watch the US commercials directly in glorious HD on a big 60" screen, instead of waiting to have to download them and watch them in a grainier compressed format on a 15" computer screen.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It's especially galling when news programs on CTV stations, or their info-tainment shows like E-Talk, also hype the Super Bowl commercials, tantalizing us with previews of what they won't allow us to see come game day. It's like rubbing salt in the wound.

Canadian Superbowl commercials SUCK!....
Exactly! If Canadian advertisers put more money and creativity into their commercials to be broadcast during the Super Bowl, we wouldn't even have to have this conversation. Surely the viewership is there, or CTV wouldn't be so protective of their simsub rights, and lord knows we have some very creative ad agencies and production houses here; heck, some of those US Super Bowl commercials we're denied every year are even produced up here!

But as long as the Canadian rights holder and the advertisers that buy time can hide behind the protection of a guaranteed audience due to simsubs, there's no real incentive to legitimately compete for viewers by giving us a broadcast we actually WANT to see.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, Canadian commercials instead of Amercian commercials during the Super Bowl, as ordered by the CRTC.

I am thankful as a PVR owner that I can blast past all that consumerist advertising claptrap. I know that the advertisers try to put out amazing commercials for the Super Bowl but frankly I am disappointed that anyone would feel a need to see them during the game when it is well known that they are made available on the Internet as the game proceeds.

There is an actual football game being telecast. The operative word is game. Hello!

The reason I'm posting this is not that I am against anyone enjoying commercials (despite the fact that I think its psychologically suspect) but rather that the Canadian broadcasters paid for the right to televise the game. That's what they paid for, and that's what they do. They televise the game.

Granted, if in the course of their simsubbing they actually mishandle the actual play of the game then they should be called on the carpet. Otherwise, complaints about Canadian coverage of the actual game (but actually being about the commercials) should be thrown into the dumpster.

TV commercials are a dry gulch of spoon-fed dead time in our lives when we could actually be living. Enjoy the game if you're a fan.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Onslow, you are out of touch with the average viewer. Trust me, many people watch the game for only the commericials.

Every year more and more commercials are in HD.

Why do you think we have threads like this every year?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes Onslow, you are out of touch.

I am a huge sports fan, a huge NFL fan, and watch a lot of regular season games, basically every post-season game, and of course, the Super Bowl.

If they didn't release new commercials during the big game in the US, I would of course still watch the game. But because they do release some unique commercials every year, and there is a big buzz about the commercials in addition to the game, naturally I want to see them too.

Watching the game with a big group every year, the commercials would be something else to talk about. We do talk about any commercials that we have seen previewed somewhere else, and then also complain about seeing the 80th Canadian Tire commercial in a row. It's frustrating.

And on top of that, CTV does come back late from commercials and misses plays and catches the announcer in mid-sentence. Plus post-game interviews are sabatoged, and additional NFL promos are cut out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Bell should only be allowed to simsub the Super Bowl in Vancouver and Toronto. How they get away with simsubbing all of Canada is beyond me.

Onslow, most years the commercials are better than the game itself.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
As it should be. :rolleyes:
Your in Canada, paying a canadian company to provide your television service.
Expect Canadian commercials.
We have to support the Canadian television industry.
The whole purpose of simusbbing is to allow CTV and Global to be able to develop their own TV shows with the extra income they receive from the additional ad revenue. The only problem is ever since simsubbing was introduced the number of Canadian made shows has not increased. CTV and Global have just lined their pockets with the extra cash and not contributed anything extra to the Canadian televison industry.

I read an article a few years back that likened the Canadian TV industry to the local wine industry. The government could have put extra duties on foreign wine to "help" the local wineries in Canada, but they chose instead to let the free market decide and the result was BC wines have done very well on their own. Maybe the CRTC should do the same with simusubbing and allow the free market decide which shows and which broadcasters should survive.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Exactly. That's another problem with simsubbing - it's not working. CTV and Global don't really care to produce quality shows that Canadians will watch. They will barely meet the paltry Cancon requirements. Intead, they will continue to air American shows and take all that money they get from airing American shows all the time and do things like outbid the CBC for the rights the HNIC theme song, buy Alliance Atlantis (Global), or simply keep the money to themselves and the programming execs (or the so called programming execs) will line their own pockets and buy big houses and fancy cars and boats.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is exactly why I don't watch CTV.

I hope Bell fights this as much as they can. Great job Bell, keep it up. We have the right to watch the American feed, we pay enough money to do so.

The CRTC needs to look at people stealing tv instead.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.