Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
well apparently, today is the date given by the CRTC for all telecoms to fully implement universal network level blocking. Let's see if we get a reduction in spam calls.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I've already had one nuisance call today that looks the same as dozens of other similar calls over the past few months. I wonder if there is any way to log these calls that will be effective. I know about the do not call list and the associated call registry but that doesn't work against these callers.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Yet another call early this morning that woke us up. It's seems that nothing is being done and the new rules have only emboldened the call spammers.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
ExDilbert did the number that called you conform to NANP? did it appear to be an obvious invalid number? ie: 000-000-0000 or 111-111-1111 or show up with any made up area code and prefix that was not registered to NANP guidelines? in some cases we can still get nuisance calls, cus those do conform to nanp and do not have all 0's or all 1's and are simply spoofed of legit numbers, those calls will still go thru

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Also do you rent a water heater from Reliance. They call all the time with offers, with phone numbers from all over the province. I rent from them and quite frankly their constant calls have me considering buying a water heater just so that they will stop. I don't want a new water heater, furnace, AC or maintenance plan with them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just got a unwanted called from a 1-877 number, I answer and there was no one at the other side, just silence.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The ones we get quite frequently just say long distance or have a caller ID the same as the number. The numbers are often invalid and they usually don't answer or leave a spam message with some government service or credit card scam. Attempting to use phone company call blocking results in a message saying the number is unavailable. They should be easy to recognize and block.

I usually ignore the calls but not always. When someone does answer it's usually a person with an accent who is in an obvious boiler room telemarketing atmosphere. They usually want to clean my ducks or PC. Clean out my bank account is more likely. I've given up on telling them not to call back. If I have the time I just waste their time for a few minutes and then hang up. That doesn't stop them calling either.

there was no one at the other side, just silence.
That's because the automatic dialer makes more calls that the people in the call centre can answer. It's a low tech operation.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^^^^
Last night, on CBC news, there was a piece about a business whose number has been used for spoofing. As a result, they've had thousands of calls from angry people complaining about the calls.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
On a Shaw Phone thread I started, I mentioned that Shaw had rolled out a new feature prior to the 19th called Spam Call Blocking. It is under the Privacy Settings of the Phone Service page when you log into your account. The default setting for this feature is off therefore you must opt in to use it. The feature uses an algorithm to detect unwanted marketing calls, etc., and while your phone will not ring it does allow the caller to leave a voice mail. I am not sure if this was Shaw's response to the CRTC order, but for the twelve days I have had it active I have had zero nuisance calls. You may wish to check the privacy settings of your home phone service provider to see if they offer something similar.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
We are with a Bell reseller that has since moved on to provide their own VoIP service. They still support existing landline customers but they don't accept new ones and it's just a basic version of whatever Bell offers. I'm not expecting much in the way of new features. If it were up to just me I would drop the landline service.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The standard call blocking rules are next to useless. Any spammer with any know how can comply and still make calls.
The criteria for universal network-level call blocking are as follows:

The caller ID for international originated calls with less than 3 digits or exceeds 15 digits.
The caller ID contains a number that does not conform to a valid format under the NANP. For example:
Numbers that are not 10 digits (exception for 7 digit numbers such as 310-XXXX)
Calls coming from a single number (111-111-1111)
Calls coming from invalid area codes
Calls with numbers that have a 0 or 1 in the 4th position of the telephone number i.e. 613-012-1234
Calls matching the telephone number of the person being called.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I called my landline provider. They said that they are just reselling Bell so whatever Bell does is what we get. I gave them the nuisance number on the from display. Even though the call display number was being spoofed and the originating number was unknown to the phone company, they said that it complied with the regulations as set out and would not be blocked. They also said that there was no way to escalate the issue with Bell.

In my opinion, this is a violation since the originating number was unknown to the phone company and the number on the call display was being spoofed. So once again, Bell skirts the intent of the CRTC ruling while doing as little as possible and also charging consumers the highest phone rates in Canada. To paraphrase a famous poet... Why do Canadians hate this company? Let me count the reasons.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
well if the number complied, then there is nothing they can do then, that sucks but its the cold hard truth

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
But that makes no sense. Anyone can spoof a number but be calling from an unknown number or rogue exchange. Under those rules the guidelines will be ineffective. It may even make things worse because spammers are more likely to spoof a legitimate number that belongs to someone else.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Spammers were already moving on to spoofing real numbers before these new rules so yes the game as already shifted. Next year when STIR/SHAKEN comes into play hopefully things will improve again. It really is just a game whack a mole and the spammers will move onto the next way of cheating the system.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts