Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The CRTC posted a bulletin today saying they will NOT renew Analogue transmitters within channels 52-69 outside the mandatory markets, after August 2011.
The wording is a bit confusing but that isn't quite what they are saying. They are saying that transmitters on channels 52-69 outside of mandatory markets must also transition to DTV (they cannot just change to another channel number but stay analog).

The only station I know of that was planning on doing this was CHCH-TV-3 Muskoka. Interestingly, the CRTC is considering it to be in the mandatory market of Barrie, ON according to this bulletin (along with CIII-TV-7 Midland).

Another thing (must be a typo) it says the Licensee for CKXT-TV and CKXT-TV-1 is "The Miracle Channel Association" though for CKXT-DT-2 and CKXT-DT-2 it is "TVA Group Inc."

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The wording is a bit confusing but that isn't quite what they are saying. They are saying that transmitters on channels 52-69 outside of mandatory markets must also transition to DTV (they cannot just change to another channel number but stay analog).

The only station I know of that was planning on doing this was CHCH-TV-3 Muskoka. Interestingly, the CRTC is considering it to be in the mandatory market of Barrie, ON according to this bulletin (along with CIII-TV-7 Midland).

Another thing (must be a typo) it says the Licensee for CKXT-TV and CKXT-TV-1 is "The Miracle Channel Association" though for CKXT-DT-2 and CKXT-DT-2 it is "TVA Group Inc."
I'd already reported the CKXT ownership error to the CRTC. We'll see what they say.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Here's a quick view of the analogue stations presently on 52-69 outside mandatory markets:
Code:
Appendix 2 to Broadcasting Information
Bulletin CRTC 2010-719:

AB Burmis CJIL-TV-2               	55
AB Forestburg CBXT-12 (CBC)             52
BC Spillimacheen CBUBT-6 (CBC)          69
NS Truro CBHT-8 (CBC)             	55
NS Digby CBHFT-6 (SRC)            	58
NS Dibgy CBHT-7 (CBC)             	52
ON Belleville CICO-TV-53 (TVO)          53
ON Brighton CKWS-TV-1 (CKWS TV)         66
ON Chatham CBLN-TV-3 (CBC)              64
ON Chatham CICO-TV-59 (TVO)             59
ON Cloyne CICO-TV-92 (TVO)              55
ON Fort Erie CIII-TV-55 (Global)        55
ON Foymount (CFB) CBOT-1 (CBC)          59
ON Peterborough CFTO-TV-54 (CTV)        54
ON Sarnia CBLFT-17 (SRC)          	68
QC Sainte-Famille CBVT-2 (SRC)    	55
QC Lac-Etchemin CBVT-4 (SRC)      	55

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
roger1818 said:
They are saying that transmitters on channels 52-69 outside of mandatory markets must also transition to DTV (they cannot just change to another channel number but stay analog).
That is my interpretation too, which raises an ominous note to this decision. Since none of those stations will be allowed to renew on another channel in analogue, the owners of those stations must decide whether transitioning them to DTV on a different channel is worth the expense. My question then is whether this turns out to be a trigger for some or all of those stations to go dark...

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
My question then is whether this turns out to be a trigger for some or all of those stations to go dark...
Well, lets see what we know about these stations from information found in the Related documents and Comments from Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-169.

AB Burmis CJIL-TV-2 - Undecided (further study needed)
AB Forestburg CBXT-12 (CBC) - Shutdown
BC Spillimacheen CBUBT-6 (CBC) - Shutdown
NS Truro CBHT-8 (CBC) - Shutdown
NS Digby CBHFT-6 (SRC) - Shutdown
NS Dibgy CBHT-7 (CBC) - Shutdown
ON Belleville CICO-TV-53 (TVO) - Undecided (if money can be raised)
ON Brighton CKWS-TV-1 (CKWS TV) - Will be transitioned
ON Chatham CBLN-TV-3 (CBC) - Shutdown
ON Chatham CICO-TV-59 (TVO) - Undecided (if money can be raised)
ON Cloyne CICO-TV-92 (TVO) - Undecided (if money can be raised)
ON Fort Erie CIII-TV-55 (Global) - Shutdown (covered by stronger Toronto transmitter)
ON Foymount (CFB) CBOT-1 (CBC) - Shutdown
ON Peterborough CFTO-TV-54 (CTV) - Will be transitioned
ON Sarnia CBLFT-17 (SRC) - Shutdown
QC Sainte-Famille CBVT-2 (SRC) - Shutdown
QC Lac-Etchemin CBVT-4 (SRC) - Shutdown

So in summary:
11 will be shutdown
4 are undecided, and
2 will be transitioned.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Note that today's announcement applies to Full Power stations only.
In order to vacate channels 52 to 69, the Commission does not intend to renew authorizations for full-power analog transmitters on those channels outside the mandatory markets beyond 31 August 2011. In Appendix 2 to this information bulletin, the Commission has set out a list of affected analog transmitters in this regard.
There are 17 full-power stations in the list.
There are probably about another 60 low power stations between 52 and 69. A lot of them are RDUs broadcasting Canadian and American cable channels -- not sure if they're all encrypted.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Looking at post 6, it reminded me of a statement in the thread about Cogeco misleading (at the very least :rolleyes:) people on the DTV conversion:

When you call cogeco, they'll tell you; "next year all over the air channels will be turn off permantely"
If they would have left out "all", it technically would be a true statement since the number of OTA stations being turned off will be greater than 0.

I guess I'm lucky, I might not lose anything (assuming TVO keeps their word), but I'm guessing for some people, they will in fact lose a good chunk of their OTA channels.

I think this may be the proverbial unintended consequence. :mad:

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The vast majority of the transmitters being shut down are CBC/SRC repeaters. I think what it comes down to is CBC does not see the value in OTA for remote regions. I suspect part of the problem is they see them as a large expense with little benefit in return. If they can find an excuse to shut them down, they can use that money for other things. This is probably a bit short sighted as the towers are likely shared with CBC radio and when the TV transmitters shut down, some of the expenses will be transferred from CBC TV to CBC Radio.

As a contrast, TVO seems keen to keep as many transmitters operational as possible (even though they are slow to transition to DTV). This may be because a large segment of their membership base receive their signal OTA and are donating instead of paying for a BDU. Having members also likely keeps them focused on the fact that they are there to provide a service to the people of Ontario.

·
Registered
214 Posts
CBC probably feels they have nothing to lose by shutting down these transmitters, since the simsub rules don't really affect them anyway. Its sad though that people in these regions will be forced to pay a BDU for service, to watch Canada's National broadcaster.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Here's a quick view of the analogue stations presently on 52-69 outside mandatory markets:
Code:
Appendix 2 to Broadcasting Information
Bulletin CRTC 2010-719:

AB Burmis CJIL-TV-2               	55
AB Forestburg CBXT-12 (CBC)             52
BC Spillimacheen CBUBT-6 (CBC)          69
NS Truro CBHT-8 (CBC)             	55
NS Digby CBHFT-6 (SRC)            	58
NS Dibgy CBHT-7 (CBC)             	52
ON Belleville CICO-TV-53 (TVO)          53
ON Brighton CKWS-TV-1 (CKWS TV)         66
ON Chatham CBLN-TV-3 (CBC)              64
ON Chatham CICO-TV-59 (TVO)             59
ON Cloyne CICO-TV-92 (TVO)              55
ON Fort Erie CIII-TV-55 (Global)        55
ON Foymount (CFB) CBOT-1 (CBC)          59
ON Peterborough CFTO-TV-54 (CTV)        54
ON Sarnia CBLFT-17 (SRC)          	68
QC Sainte-Famille CBVT-2 (SRC)    	55
QC Lac-Etchemin CBVT-4 (SRC)      	55
There seems to be an omission of Muskoka's CHCH channel 67. I have heard that CHCH were requested to end use of that frequency by the end of 2010. Not likely that they will go digital in that small market, so that would be one that likely goes black.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yes, it's CHCH-TV-3 Muskoka 67RF analog, but why are they being forced to get off that frequency earlier than the transition date. I don't think they would reassign a new analog channel and I know it would not be worth upgrading to digital for such a small market. And what's most curious to me is, why did the fcc make that request and who needs that frequency that urgently that it's being cleared by the end of 2010? OTA is obviously at the bottom of the broadcast industry food chain.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
why are they being forced to get off that frequency earlier than the transition date.
They aren't. What makes you think they are? They are permitted to transition sooner if they want, but they don't have to transition until August 31, 2011.

I don't think they would reassign a new analog channel
Correct. They won't. That is what this whole thread is about.

I know it would not be worth upgrading to digital for such a small market.
The CRTC is considering it in the Barrie market, so it is hard to say for sure. Does anyone know the contours of CHCH-TV-3? I did a quick TVFool analysis for Barrie and CHCH-TV-3 comes in with a noise margin of 5.8. OTOH, Channel Zero did say they wanted to stay analog on a different channel number, but we now know the CRTC won't permit this.

And what's most curious to me is, why did the fcc make that request and who needs that frequency that urgently that it's being cleared by the end of 2010?
Where are you getting this 2010 date from? AFAIK, the spectrum doesn't need to be cleared until August 31, 2011.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Where are you getting this 2010 date from? AFAIK, the spectrum doesn't need to be cleared until August 31, 2011.
If I can get permission, I will post that source of information. The fcc has requested that frequency range to be cleared for other use before 2011. The FCC's request may include more than just 67RF to be cleared ASAP. What I don't know, is why they need it cleared earlier than the Canadian August 31 2011 date.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
In the SeaTac area Verizon has been very aggressive about grabbing the 52-69 spectrum ASAP. I have to wonder if there's a similar pressure in the Muskoka case from New York State interests.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The fcc has requested that frequency range to be cleared for other use before 2011. The FCC's request may include more than just 67RF to be cleared ASAP. What I don't know, is why they need it cleared earlier than the Canadian August 31 2011 date.
Channel 67 equates to 788-794 MHz. I did some research on this and I believe this is part of the "Upper C block" that Verizon has purchased nationwide for their LTE (4G) service. It is rumored that they want to roll this out in the 30 NFL cities by the end of 2010. If so Buffalo would be one of those cities, so they would need to have the space cleared.

Since the FCC doesn't have any authority in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if this request (assuming it exists) comes with some financial compensation.

Edit: I just discovered that the Upper C Block is actually 746-757 / 776-787 MHz. 788-794 MHz is part of the Upper D block which has not been auctioned yet.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The FCC has assigned the frequencies used by channels 52-69 for other uses. IIRC, the agreement between IC and the FCC mandates that those frequencies be vacated by all Canadian broadcast stations within 100 miles of the Canada/US border. I'm not sure of the dates involved but this is an IC decision, not a CRTC one. The FCC and US service providers, obviously, want those frequencies vacated ASAP to implement new services in the US. The CRTC can enforce the IC/FCC agreement by revoking a station's license to broadcast on those frequencies.

They are permitted to transition sooner if they want, but they don't have to transition until August 31, 2011.
If the CBC's actions are any indication, stations do not need to transition in any market, ever. They can simply choose to go dark and abandon the station assignment. Mandatory transitioning apparently means a broadcaster must transition to keep broadcasting in that market. The CRTC could put more teeth into their decision, of course, but that does not seem to be happening.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If the CBC's actions are any indication, stations do not need to transition in any market, ever. They can simply choose to go dark and abandon the station assignment. Mandatory transitioning apparently means a broadcaster must transition to keep broadcasting in that market. The CRTC could put more teeth into their decision, of course, but that does not seem to be happening.
Is that true? I remember reading that the CRTC couldn't force anyone to broadcast anywhere -- just what and how you are broadcasting should you choose to.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
IIRC, the agreement between IC and the FCC mandates that those frequencies be vacated by all Canadian broadcast stations within 100 miles of the Canada/US border.
Splitting hairs here, but I believe the distance is 350 km (or 220 miles).

I'm not sure of the dates involved but this is an IC decision, not a CRTC one.
To the best of my knowledge the date is August 31, 2011. I agree this is an IC decision.

The CRTC can enforce the IC/FCC agreement by revoking a station's license to broadcast on those frequencies.
True, and that is what they are doing by forcing them to shut down by August 31, 2011.

If the CBC's actions are any indication, stations do not need to transition in any market, ever. They can simply choose to go dark and abandon the station assignment. Mandatory transitioning apparently means a broadcaster must transition to keep broadcasting in that market.
That is true. There is nothing to prevent any station from doing that.

The CRTC could put more teeth into their decision, of course, but that does not seem to be happening.
How? The CRTC has no authority to force a station to stay on-air. All they can do is set the conditions that must be met to be permitted to stay on-air and give stations benefits for being on-air. If a station wants to shut down a transmitter, there is nothing the CRTC can do to prevent it.

In the case of the CBC, one might argue that the government should force them to stay on-air since they are a public broadcaster, but that has nothing to do with the CRTC.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts