·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
699 Posts
wow..so is that how the CRTC operates?

Anything in direct competition to what already has been proposed by our monopolistic media companies gets rejected..even if it doesnt even exist yet....

·
Registered
550 Posts
A Canadian channel showing HD 24/7? Um, who could they possibly be competing with? Nobody does this. It's frustrating channel surfing some nights to find nothing in HD on Canadian channels.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Policy naming

Shouldn't this be called the "anti-competitive policy"?

So if you're competing with the Rogers/Bell oligopoly, you'll be turned away at the gate?

I thought the CRTC was run by the government, not the telco industry.

"This year I'll be voting, but not for the first time. This year, Stephen Harper can kiss my ***, then kiss Jim Prentice."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Won't be the first time an application is denied for such reasons

Now had the applicants suggested an all Canadian content lineup, WELLLL
Now your getting somewhere.

The objecting networks and broadcasters would have had the objections overruled by the CRTC.:D

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
wow..so is that how the CRTC operates?

Anything in direct competition to what already has been proposed by our monopolistic media companies gets rejected..even if it doesnt even exist yet....
Are you surprised? After the rejection of the well-though out application to operate a TV station in St. Catharines-Niagara Falls - by far the largest Canadian community to not have a TV station - it was quite clear that the CRTC doesn't possess much interest in anything except protecting monopolies.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Wow... The only thing missing from this story is a banner on the top saying it's "The Onion" web page. I don't even think they could make up something so ridiculous. God forbid Canadians be offered a choice. A competitive policy that forbids you from competing. Hmmm.. Only in Canada you say?? Pity.

·
Banned
844 Posts
So much for the notion that they were going to allow Canadian channels to compete against one another, as discussed at the hearing the CRTC had in April?! I guess that isn't happening any time soon. Still waiting for a stupid decision to come down regarding that hearing and the supposed rule changes that were going to be made. What happened to the 'market-oriented' approach they were going to take?!

I think its about damn time that the CRTC is overhauled and some major reforms take place. The only purpose this committee (or whatever the hell it is) should have is to monitor content on the airwaves so nothing offensive is aired or nothing harmful to children. Aside from that the only other potential issue that they might have a say over is Canadian content and ensure that we get some quality programs instead of the filler junk networks air now just to meet their CDN content requirements. The CRTC should not be involved in distribution and dictating to consumers what they can and cannot watch- that is up to the people via their wallets and what they want to pay to watch.

On another note, regarding the applications themselves- the reason they were denied is because they were too broad in scope. They just wanted to air movies in HD, had they made the nature of service more specific, its possible that they may have been approved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
nfitz: You beat me to it. I live in Niagara Falls and went to the CRTC hearing for TVN. There was huge local support for it and CHCH was nearly booed off stage whenever they said that they cover the Niagara Region. The reasoning behind TVN's rejection was equally ludicrous: The CRTC thought that the station would probably fail, so they weren't even allowed to try.

This latest decision is just further proof that the CRTC is looking out for big business, not for the Canadian people. I wish I could blame this on the Conservatives, but let's face it: the CRTC has always been like this no matter who's in office.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been saying these things for over 30 years! Yet they're still controlling what we watch and listen to.

_AL :mad:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I thought the CRTC was run by the government, not the telco industry.
In theory, yes, but in all practicality the people on the CRTC seem not to be independent of the BDUs. I believe some of the commissioners are ex-Rogers, ex-Bell.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
hrmm, is there legislation that gives the CRTC the right to 'protect' this sort of operation from starting? If I tried to start 'Toronto HD' and SD stations, every local station would object on baseless grounds, but valid ones apparently!?!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Please clarify, is this OTA or digital

Hugh, you said stations so the headline led me to believe OTA channels were being proposed but the article sounds like it's just another channel for satellite or digital cable.

Wasn't there a proposal from John Bitove a few months back to build an HD OTA network? Now that would have been nice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Corporate Manipulation

...and the CRTC simply rolls over in bed with them. Can you spell corruption? Obviously High Fidelity TV although EXCELLENT programming is too good for Canadians GO FIGURE.

I think they should seek legal action they just got stuffed and the CRTC failed to support fair competition. Business & Government don't mix the CRTC just proved that today.

What BLATANT BONEHEAD BUREAUCRATIC BUNGLING. Is Canada a democracy or something else? Heavy handed and totally unrealistic decision the Commission has bowed to big business and that is NOT why we pay our taxes. Why should Bell be allowed to show HDTV.ca for YEARS and Rogers & Shaw customers still get the snub.

Completely absurd this wreaks of a cover up and corporate manipulation. THE CRTC was put in place for the benefit of the consumer not big business. I will be emailing my MLA and I strongly advise you do the same. This is a shameful, myopic decision that should be revoked or overturned IMMEDIATELY whatever it takes.

I am totally confounded how the CRTC can hand out this ruling with a straight face? It's like they have accepted a bribe because they have not acted on behalf of the consumer or the industry they are in the back pocket of big business that is all this proved today. SHAMEFUL Heads should roll.

·
Registered
880 Posts
WOW, just WOW!

It's time for the Harper government to clean house concerning the CRTC. And some major reforms be put into place concerning how and if the CRTC is to continue.

The CRTC has allowed too many companies to run re-transmitters, thus killing certain markets from having OTA TV stations that serve their communities. Just look at the Ottawa market. How many of the OTA stations are actually Toronto stations with re-transmition licenses. End result. less locally owned Ottawa stations serving their community.

This situation goes beyond just the Ottawa market, to markets all over the country. How about the CRTC allowing the networks to own all of their affiliates. Well, their no longer affiliates. They are all network owned, and centralize their operations in either Toronto, or Montreal.

Back in the 80's, the reason the cable specialty channels were licensed was to open up the field to different players. Thirty years later, we have more channels than ever, but were back to a handful of players that own all the stations. Congratulations CRTC. Proven once again that your useless as a telecommunications governing body.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Eventhough I am not a strong supporter of the CRTC, in this case would agree with their decision. Having read the applications and the decision it would be difficult to mount a substantive arguement against it. It is easy to rant and rave about this agency, generalize and throw in a truck load of "red herrings" to support an arguement that the decision was flawed. In essence High Fidelity went to the commission with little more than a concept and the underlying assumption that the mention of "high definition " would be the key to approval. Even Rogers suggested a re-submission with a bit more detail.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe anyone who wants to start a digital television station should be allowed - period.

The CRTC can set out some minimum requirements regarding Cdn content and deceny but after that it should be a competitive business just like every other type of business in Canada.

Competition is good and IMO, there is no way to improve Canadian tv without competition.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Completely agree with what Hugh said.

The CRTC should not be in the "entertainment" business. They should not be deciding who gets a channel and who doesn't based on competition.

All that does is hurt us, the consumer. More competition means more choice and more reason for broadcasters in Canada to be "better" than the other guy.

Right now, it's just a license to print money for crappy companies like Canwest.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts