Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thank goodness the CRTC will keep an "eye" on this for us.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The CRTC already did this once plus gave Bell the money but they failed to do so. The money was supposed to be used to provide cellular high speed access to rural residents but the service was only rolled out to urban centers instead. What makes the CRTC think another mandate will make any difference?

·
Super Moderator
11,122 Posts
In this decision, the Commission establishes target speeds of 5 megabits per second (Mbps) downstream and 1 Mbps upstream
Many packages do not offer 1Mbps up. But they CAN offer it if the customer is willing to pay extra. Also, there are many places where DSL is not feasible and never will be. So does that mean they cannot offer sub 5/1Mbps service? The alternative being no service at all?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I love all the government experience I witnessed while volunteered on "advisory committees" for in the past couple of years. I noticed immediately that most of our government "cannot enforce it" but loves to get paid to "monitor" and "hire consultants". Billions of tax dollars on empires that accomplish next to nothing.
Currently in our area we have a liquid waste management plan to the tune of $30,000,000 for a few thousand residents and they "cannot enforce participation by the polluters causing the need for the plan!!!! I see this everywhere I look in government.:rolleyes:
I'm ashamed...it took me 62 years to realize this!
The CRTC is one of the worst examples of this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Problem is there are a lot of variables here too. Most technologies are too costly to put out to everyone at that speed because distance is the greatest factor here. You are not going to put in fibre and dslams or cable internet for only a few customers in sparse areas...

One area I am currently putting wireless in, the trees are so thick, 900mhz is the only thing that would work, but limitations on how many channels in that spectrum limit how much speed can be obtained by the end user... so I can't see higher speeds unless they open up more channels or the white space spectrum.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Targets are useless without policy. Given that internet remains unregulated, the target is therefore smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Our company has a plant 2.5 hours north of Mexico City, Mexico - in the middle of nowhere - mountains, farms, third world country - you get the picture.

But of course we have FIBER into the building, Full Digital voice lines etc....

Now - I live 1 hour north of Toronto - No DSL, no Fiber, no Cable - just expensive unreliable cellular Internet or even worst - Satellite Internet.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm"..........

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
rob1, I agree with you 100%, the service levels I get are dreadful and I am south of you by quite a bit.

I am 5kms from the last piece of Cable Systems and no sign of Fiber at all.

I rely on Wireless from Rogers WiMax, it works but I dream of days with a 5Mbps Service, doubt we will see it in the next 10 years.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I lived on Vancouver Island in a small town for 10 years and enjoyed decent 5Mb+ speeds from Shaw cable at home and at work.

Two years ago I moved back to Ontario (to the Caledon area) and while my speeds at home are fine (Rogers), I can't believe the terrible speeds I'm getting at work (about 5km away) with Bell's DSL service.

Unfortunately Bell says we're too far from the "CO" and Rogers said it'll cost over $40k to provide us with cable service so we're stuck.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
@rob1

I'm pretty sure that the fibre wasn't there prior to the building. If your willing to pay as much as your company did, you could get fibre installed at your house too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
5 Mbps in 2005 might have been considered Broadband in 2011 that should not even be considered under the DSL umbrella. It more like the current version of Dial-Up! Hell Google is experimenting with Gigabit Internet in the Seattle area right now! And these clowns want the country to still be at 5 Mbps in 2015!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts