Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CRTC has revoked the broadcast licence for CKLN, the campus-community station based out of Toronto's Ryerson University.
Press release here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2011/r110128.htm
Full decision here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-56.htm

Here is the preamble to the decision:

In this decision, the Commission revokes, by majority vote, the broadcasting licence for CKLN-FM Toronto, held by CKLN Radio Incorporated, as of 12 February 2011. In reaching this determination, the Commission considered the serious and continuous nature of the licensee’s non-compliance with numerous regulatory obligations, the station’s inability to institute the measures necessary to ensure ongoing compliance, and the lack of confidence on the part of the Commission that such measures could or would be instituted within a reasonable amount of time. The licensee must cease broadcasting on 12 February 2011, by no later than the end of the broadcast day.
A dissenting opinion by Commissioner Louise Poirier is attached to this decision.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
The CRTC appears to be going out of their way to document as much as they can(minor nit-picky stuff) to justify closing shop at CKLN. I don't believe the CRTC would normally request weeks worth of logging tape. Typically they would request a tape for a particular day, hour, minute, based on a complaint.

Yes, it sounds like the station was a mess and under some sort of power struggle between two factions. A temporary suspension would have been a more reasonable approach until the station management could get their act together.

In one dissenting opinion, "No other licences have been revoked in this manner in recent commission history,"

·
Registered
580 Posts
That is not minor nit-picky stuff, and yes, regular procedure is for a week's worth of logger-tape.

Management was given ample opportunity to get their act together. The CRTC even overlooked a no-show for the station's own license renewal hearing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The main intent of a broadcaster keeping logs for 30 days is that in the event of a complaint within that period, the original airing can be reviewed. This request appeared to more of a 'send us all of your logs for several weeks' because we said so. So the fact that the CRTC noted that the original request and the days sent were off by a day is nit-picky stuff.

This is a community radio station, run by for the most part, volunteers. My opinion is that the punishment, revoking a license, unprecedented even by one of the CRTC's own admission, was too severe.

And I would like to know where Brookfield Properties Ltd. the landlords at the transmitter site got the advice that they could lock out the technical staff to prevent them from performing maintenance.
http://www.rbr.com/radio/crtc-revokes-license-of-ckln-fm-toronto.html
I wonder what Industry Canada's opinion is in regards to this serious issue.

Konrad von Finckenstein, Q.C., Chairman of the CRTC says "Taking away its license is the only appropriate course of action in this case.” No it wasn't Konrad, and you know it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Every station that's up for renewal gets asked for a week's worth of logs. It also happens at random times as an audit. Again, it's standard practice.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The station's license wasn't up for renewal. It had been renewed until 2014. The station has been licensed since 1983. Quibbling the minor points though.

The dissenting opinion by Commissioner Louise Poirier was the reasonable and already established response to non-compliance in these cases.
It's included in the decision at the bottom of the page. Worth a read.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-56.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds suspicious to me. I've been reading the transcript of the last hearing in Dec 2010, and the new board is trying to get things back on track. They are doing the best with the crap situation they were given. I know that Ron Nelson, Chair of the new board, has been involved as a show host for ages, and I know he cares deeply about the station, and has only the best of intentions, but not much to work with. I think the CRTC is trying to free up a frequency for sale!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
CKLN was a joke when I went to Ryerson, and that was the early 90's.

For a campus radio station they made a concerted effort to make sure that no students worked there. There were several efforts made to cancel funding from the students that didn't pass due to voter apathy IIRC.

I'm sure the people who did do things at CKLN loved it, but the world doesn't owe you a radio station, broadcast on the Internet if you think people care about your agendas.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I quite enjoyed CKLN local community radio in the 80s and 90s. I recall donating some money during one of the fundraisers and got a T-shirt.

I'm pretty sure CKLN(may have been U of T's CIUT) was simulcasting the audio from the Live Aid concert early 80's. During The Who's set from Wembley, the TV feed fizzled out due to some technical glitch but CKLN continued to broadcast the audio.

Sorry to hear the station wasn't to your liking grimjack. I wish them the best in pulling things together. But not too together, we don't need another CHFI on the dial.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd like to see the station become a real campus radio station. What bothers me was the long standing attitude that the students (who were really paying the bills) were a nuisance.
I think they should be mandated to provide a certain portion of the airtime to full time Ryerson students.

I certainly don't want to see it go just to become another Rogers/Bell robostation and didn't intend to convey that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
to johnnysmoke: re-CKLN loggers

The CRTC did a "performance evaluation" on CKLN, the details of which are available in documentation filed on the CRTC website related to CKLN. They asked for one week of broadcasts from January 10 to 16, 2010. At first, CKLN did not send the correct dates.
In April 2010, the evaluation was complete. The CRTC only had to look at one day, Sunday, January 10, and found various violations of the Broadcast Act and the Radio Regulations. They didn't need to proceed any further. The recordings were deemed largely unintelligible for the CRTC's purposes, another violation.
Further to this, the programs broadcast and the schedule submitted by CKLN did not match. This caused a problem for the CRTC in calculating the proper genre and associated Canadian content or spoken word requirements that CKLN has to follow in terms of its license.

CKLN, in September 2009, had promised the CRTC that the matter of logs and records amongst other issues would be addressed. When the logs and records fiasco was uncovered, CKLN offered a series of excuses, one of them being that the person who handled all of this was on vacation in the Caribbean.
All of this information is available on the CRTC website. It's sometimes deeply embedded and difficult to find, but it's there.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
CKLN MOVES OFF OF 88.1 FM... For Now!

The title is from the CKLN web site article: www.ckln.fm

They were not granted leave to appeal the CRTC decision to cease broadcasting, thus they must vacate 88.1MHz immediately.

Cameron

1 - 20 of 27 Posts