Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone say this one, but I have seen it through the G4TechTV.ca site:

Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-952
Ottawa, 22 December 2010

Lots of information here, basically Shaw and others want to add infomercials to their channels (including Space and G4TechTV) and reduce Canadian Content. Relocate Transmitters, among other very stupid requests. I was not sure if I could post the link to the article, but if you want, I can. I read the document as much as I could and they are going to destroy most of the channels we all love (sad day for Canadian TV).

Edward

·
Registered
379 Posts
I went through the documents submitted by CTVgm, Corus, Rogers, and Shaw. I didn't see anything about transmitter re-locations; which ones specifically have been mentioned?

One of the things I noticed is Rogers asking to be relieved of its requirements to air at least 100 hours a year of Canadian long-form features on Citytv Toronto and Vancouver, saying it's not part of their programming strategy moving forward. I am really struggling to understand what exactly their programming strategy is now.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
These show up a lot from CTV:
Amend the standard COL regarding local programming
Requested authorization to draw programming from all program categories
CTV and Shaw:
Delete the COL requiring that a minimum of xx% of all Canadian programs broadcast by the licensee be produced by independent production companies
Rogers:
Delete the COL requiring...
In general:
1. Turn every specialty channel into a general broadcasting channel with no focus and no requirements to air or produce programming relevant to their original mandate.
2. Produce cheap programming in house, effectively shutting down independent productions companies and throwing thousands of Canadian TV industry workers out on the street. (That's in addition to the thousands they have already fired in house.)

It looks like we can look forward to more low budget talk/reality shows and more reruns of cheap, irrelevant programming on every channel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just the same game these guys always play with the CRTC. Ask for the world. Whatever they get reduces content to Canadians and increases their profits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why do we (as Canadians) continue to put up with the CRTC? Does this arcane organization not contradict every notion of the concept of free trade.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Broadcasting is one of the few areas where protectionism is still allowed.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Why do we (as Canadians) continue to put up with the CRTC? Does this arcane organization not contradict every notion of the concept of free trade.
There's no will politically to change anything... which is true of almost everything really. Federally we've been in political deadlock for years.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The current government would get crucified by the opposition if they tried to change the CRTC in any way.

So the BDUs keep piling on their incredibly selfish requests while they can.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Regarding G4Tech, I just saw a commercial for them now airing "How I met your Mother" reruns. WTF??? What has that got to do with G4's programming mandate.

·
Banned
206 Posts
That's not as bad as Slice and Sportsnet now airing movies. I don't see why all the complaints about infomercials though, many of the American networks, including GSN, Spike, Fox, and others air lots of infomercials and obviously it works well and nobody is complaining.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Why is everyone complaining about an attempt to lessen Canadian content requirements? I thought everyone was against forced Cancon? This whole thread seems to me like an opportunity to rant against the CRTC, regardless of what they have or have not done, not a reasoned discussion of the issues raised in the applications.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I didn't see the request as reducing cancon as much as a request to allow a reduction in the quality of cancon that is produced. Instead of being required to purchase higher quality outside programming, they want to produce it in house. That means more talk shows, cheap reality shows and programming with in house studio personalities.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They should air only the programming required in the genre they were mandated for, except maybe in the wee hours. What's the point of reducing the quality of the channel with stuff that I can already see on umpteen other channels. I know the U.S. specialty channels do this to because it's all about the buck, while they could care less about the viewers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought G4 already aired informercials in their off-hours. It's true that there's a lack of Canadian programming on the channel. It's pretty much just Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run holding the channel together at this point. They should have never cancelled The Lab with Leo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re: G4Tech TV

around christmas time, they added an informercial that ran in place of the replay of call for help at 2:00am mountain standard time, normally they would air call for help at 2:00am, then lab with leo at 3:00am, and then at 5:00am they ran a second showing of call for help. As of January, 2011, they went back to showing call for help from the beginning of 2004 (the really old shows I never saw before). So as of January 2011, the informercial at 2:00am was taken out and call for help was put back (maybe enough people complained to Rogers to force them to put the replay back, I am not sure. But now with the request with the CRTC, they may take all the old shows out and have noting but informercials, who knows. They just added how I met my mother (nothing to do with tech) to the line up at 8:00pm mountain time. You never know what Rogers will do with that channel.

I even sent an email asking if they were going to bring more tech shows like call for help rather than the boring replays of reviews on the run, but I never did get a reply.

Edward

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure why anyone would want to watch a tech show that is 7 years old. Tech stuff changes so fast these shows are not much use. I guess if you like checking back on historic stuff it might be funny to watch.

If you want to see current stuff you should watch from the internet. TWIT (This Week In Tech) has a great deal of current stuff. Check out the Mediafly site http://www.mediafly.com/Welcome

Sites like this will eventully replace G4Tech TV if it hasn't already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts