Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: See post 21 for the CRTC news release.

Please use this thread to discuss the announcement and try to keep your conversation related to the actual policy.

Off-topic posts will be deleted.

Media Advisory - CRTC Media Lock-Up - Let's Talk TV: A World of Choice - A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market

The CRTC will post the Let's Talk TV decision on measures to maximize choice for Canadian television viewers on the CRTC website www.crtc.gc.ca at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 19, 2015.

The Chairman of the CRTC will deliver a statement and answer questions shortly after 4:15 p.m.

Other useful threads:

CRTC Policy on Canadian content (released March 12) : http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=233402

CRTC: Let's Talk TV: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=185681&page=40

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

·
Registered
462 Posts
The title of the announcement is encouraging! If they'd called it "Preserving Our Heritage" or "Ensuring the Viability of the Canadian Broadcast Ecosystem" I'd be a lot more worried that it would be same-old, same-old.

I'm hoping for a mandated "skinny basic" package in the $20-30/month range plus pick-and-pay for all channels. Hopefully there will be limitations to prevent BDUs from flaunting the spirit of the regulations, i.e., TSN channels are $8 each but the Sports bundle containing all 5 of them is $12.

Very little of what the CRTC has had to rule on lately would be necessary if our telecommunications and media industry wasn't so vertically integrated. Competition and fair dealing would have already solved many of these issues.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'm hoping the pick 'n pay goes through - I pay now for a package that has 262 channels because the channels I want are bundled - my family only watches about 20 of them.

I am willing to sacrifice 90% of the channels I get, even for a small discount - even if I save a few dollars a month to only get what I want, I'm willing to pay more for less, for a total bill that is less.

I'm tired of my money going to support channels I do not want!

·
Registered
309 Posts
In a perfect world, you would also be able to pick the channels that go in your skinny basic. That would be too much to even hope for, though.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
If the skinny basic is just local channels then I doubt it would be too expensive, likely $20 per month or less, and everything above that is pick n pay on a per channel basis, but the BDU's will also be allowed to offer packages of channels as well, for those that want it. This is just my guess as to what the ruling will be. I also am hoping we'll be able to buy individual U.S. channels without having to buy a Canadian channel with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I'm tired of my money going to support channels I do not want!
You mean you don't watch the Home Shopping Network or even Vision TV? ;)
I agree with you. I also hate paying for channels that shouldn't exist or that I don't watch.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm hoping for a mandated "skinny basic" package in the $20-30/month range plus pick-and-pay for all channels. Hopefully there will be limitations to prevent BDUs from flaunting the spirit of the regulations, i.e., TSN channels are $8 each but the Sports bundle containing all 5 of them is $12.
TSN would be a weird example given that it's often so hard to predict just where something will be shown. It'd be really hard to pick one TSN and get everything you want.

I'm just hoping they put some protection in place to stop any kind of nonsense where a bundle is $5, and any one channel in the bundle is also $5. Also, they'll have to address channel contracts that mandate channels be in bundles only or forced on all subscribers.

If it were up to me, it'd look like this:
- Skinny basic is Canadian locals and the mandatory channels only.
- Everything else is available a-la-carte.
- If the BDUs want to create bundles, the bundle cannot be priced below 50% of what the individual channels in the bundle would cost.

So if each TSN is $2, than all five TSN's would be at least $5.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
$25 is too much in my opinion. A $10 indoor antenna gets me CTV,City,Global,CBC as well as as 4 local french channels. $25 for this and a couple of other stations is too much.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Several off-topic posts discussing OTA were deleted. Please limit your posts to the CRTC policy on the packaging of basic, pick-and-pay and whatever else is included in their announcement.

Although OTA is an option for those people that only watch the broadcast networks, not everyone can get reliable reception of all the Canadian networks or they also want to watch specialty channels via cable or satellite.

Although $25/month may seem like a lot for mainly "free" channels, there is a significant cost to building and operating a TV distribution system.

·
Registered
721 Posts
$25 is too much in my opinion. A $10 indoor antenna gets me CTV,City,Global,CBC as well as as 4 local french channels. $25 for this and a couple of other stations is too much.
Completely agree. There are already cablecos offering such a rate. That is an outrageous price for such a limited bundle of channels.

I really am not expecting much value for the consumer to come out of this.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
As I've said before, skinny basic should be free. Canada is unique in not making its national TV service free to all it's citizens and in not providing national networks free to most of its citizens. The CRTC is wrong by letting network owning BDUs profit further from delivering their own, traditionally delivered for free, services.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If there's already cablecos offering such a rate, then that's probably where they got the number from. Some of the expectations for what this would cost weren't even remotely realistic.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know that Telus' basic rate, which includes a few lower cost channels as well as the networks, but not high cost channels like the sports channels, costs $29. They're a large company that is not vertically integrated. They're probably a reasonable example to use.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The CRTC already knows what rate would give the BDU's some profit. The skinny basic could likely include some specialty channels in that price of $25, like TSN, Sportsnet and some others. Everything above that basic would likely be pick n pay. The other issue would be with U.S. specialty channels that already have contracts in place that won't allow pick n pay so getting U.S. specialty channels a la carte is unlikely. Some U.S. channels will pull out of Canada if they are forced to be offered in an a la carte format.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Assuming they're not blowing hot air and will leave money on the table just to avoid a-la-carte, which I find questionable. Even if they do, if the content is in demand someone will just license it for Canada on another channel.

·
Registered
309 Posts
As I've said before, skinny basic should be free. ...
Nothing is free, and if skinny basic was available at no monthly fee from the user, someone would be paying for it. It would either come from your tax dollars, or people who got more than skinny basic would be subsidizing others.

No-charge service is not the answer. This is not an essential service and people should be able to decide what they want to pay for and not be required to subsidize others.

1 - 20 of 328 Posts