·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. Details to be put out in days. I was with Bell for those years (not now) so I certainly expect a share of the pie.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now I want my thousands back from Rogers.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
People don't take the time to read... Always assuming Bell is after their first born.

Firstly, know that the money that was overcharged by Bell in urban areas was a result of an order from the CRTC for Bell to set aside a fund to be used at a later date to bring technologies to rural areas.

Secondly, a portion of the fund will be used for rebates to people in urban areas because apparently the CRTC asked Bell to put too much money aside.

Thirdly, Bell wanted to use the money in rural areas to bring HSPA+ services but the CRTC instead ordered them to deploy DSL. Not sure how to read that one... Looking at the money Bell charges for Internet via HSPA+ vs. DSL I would say the CRTC was wise in their decision. But I also question the viability of DSL in rural areas with distance limitations and all. Maybe HSPA+ with a CRTC mandated tariff for rural areas would have been better...

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
When I watched the news last night, they stated that if you're not a current customer, or haven't been for a couple of months (can't remember the exact month), you won't get a rebate.

I too believe that since I paid into this for the entire time, then I'm entitled to a rebate as a former Bell customer.

·
Super Moderator
17,213 Posts
Here's the CRTC ruling. The other companies have identical wording. It seems like former customers are out of luck. (non-HCSAs means non-high-cost serving areas)
51. In the Commission's view, the effort associated with tracking down subscribers of record as of 17 January 2008 would introduce undue complexity, delays, and costs that could be avoided by applying the rebate to current subscribers. Accordingly, in the interest of benefiting subscribers to the greatest extent possible, the Commission directs the Bell companies to rebate their residential subscribers of record in non-HCSAs as of the date of this decision.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Am not blaming Bell am blaming the CRTC who using our money to bring the 21th century to every village of this country! Am sorry to say but if you live in a rural area you likely don't have a bus or a cab to take you to work either should we subsidize that to? You pay a lot less property tax than we do, and your air is probably way better! You might have to drive an hour to get to the nearest supermarket but you don't spend an hour a day every day stuck in traffic either!

I get DSL you get dial-up you want DSL pay the damn surcharge yourself! Or we can make a better deal you get DSL with that 1.6 billion that the CRTC stole from us and I get fiber at the price of DSL and you're paying for my fiber subsidies!

·
Registered
317 Posts
mahdi19....
without the "villages" of this country you would probably be having concrete and plastic for lunch. Bon Appetit!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
madhi19, are you just assuming that people in rural areas don't pay much tax? I know that my parents pay a hell of a lot more in taxes (about 3 times) than I do living in a city, and get a hell of a lot less in services.

Maybe you should consider moving out of an area that blankets you in smog and leaves you sitting in gridlock for an hour a day.

They also have no access to DSL or even HSPA because they live in a cellular dead spot. They still make do with dial-up

·
Registered
114 Posts
^I agree.

Nice of the CRTC to put the telcos on the front line for collecting their fees. That way the consumers complain to the telcos instead of to the CRTC (Communist Radio and Television Commission).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wish the rural folks luck on getting DSL service in this lifetime. I live in a mature neighbourhood built about 25 years ago and I can't get DSL to my home. Yet less than 500 ft down the street in a section built in the 60s they can get DSL.:rolleyes: Yeah, yeah, I know about the limitations and everything with respect to DSL. That money is just going to sit in whatever investment they have it in racking in the interest.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
cdn_tbird, I agree with you... As I said in my own comment I question de viability of DSL in rural areas... Maybe the CRTC should have listened to Bell on this one and let them deploy HSPA.

·
Registered
980 Posts
What would this country be like without a CRTC??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts