Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
since programming has regional rights. They could not broadcast back into the U.S. in the clear.
Until recently, there were several unencrpyted US network stations available on the KU linear band.

Even though that has recently changed, go take a look at C-Band, there are still US network stations available in the clear for anyone to watch.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It will be free in terms of no monthly costs but you will still need to purchase their gear I would assume. It will probably be supplemented with ads but which company doesn't already do that. I will be curious to see what is available for free in Alberta, considering there isn't 15 channels OTA right now.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Walter Dnes said:
There is no way that I, as a corporate director of Rogers or Bell TV, etc, would authorize such a service
Yes ...we realize that a corporate director of such corporations would have such views. That's the situation in CANADA.

My OTA setup is up and running. BDU's ... go away.

·
Registered
170 Posts
american channels

according to what i read about freetv canada the crtc said they are allowed to broadcast 1 set of american channels that is the 4 major networks plus 1.so they should be on the basid too

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Did it read to what set? For example, can they supply to Ontario USA locals from say, Seattle, or would it have to be Boston/Buffalo/Detroit?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They should be allowed to provide any station that is available OTA in a particular area which includes U.S. networks. My guess is that they will want to charge extra for U.S. Networks with sim subs.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I wouldn't want to be an investor in FreeSat. For starters, the US couldn't support more than two DTH BDUs. What makes FreeHD think Canada can? As it is, Shaw direct is surviving only by cutting costs and limiting the channels they offer. AFAIK, Bell TV has never made money. Only one thing is sure. That is that Rogers, Shaw and Bell will move to eliminate any new competition such as FreeSat. Existing BDUs will match anything FreeSat offers in order to keep them from taking customers and making money. The industry is so over-regulated, companies like FreeSat cannot offer anything unique to differentiate themselves. Anyone remember Voom HD in the US? I predict a similar (if not worse) end for FreeSat.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
VoomHD had other issues and was before its time. 61.5w was not the best slot to use, the cost for the uplinks killed them, and HD hadn't taken off like it has in the last few years. A different time and a different place and it would be a different ball game where they maybe could had survived.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
There were other US satellite services that failed before Voom. What it boils down to is that the US market (10 times the size of the Canadian market) only supports 2 DTH satellite services. To think that the Canadian market can support a third service is unreasonable.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
FreeHD promises less compression and some programming in 1080p. That would make Bell's HD Lite look pretty feeble by comparison. Add good customer service and STBs with firmware that actually works and FreeHD will have a real chance.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hmm we will see, I have never pulled in any 1080p programming of c/ku-band yet, I have pulled in many 1080i feeds, and high bit rate feeds that are over 50 mbps and they looked better than my blue rays. If theres anything good they put up I mite grab one of these receivers and add it to my what 6 other receivers and pci cards that are connected to the big dish :) Hmm, or maybe since it would be ku I will use it on my motorized 1.1m Patriot. Only if it's worth it as I can get Canadian channels off OTA but never really use it so...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Some have anticipated FreeHD to transmit the US stations as part of the free channels. Where does it say that local Canadian = local American? Im guessing that they will transmit local area channels = regional TV.

ie: Guelph = Toronto, Guelph, Kitchener, Hamilton......etc.

I dont anticipate ABC, NBC, CBS, Buffalo....etc

Just my thoughts although I wish US boradcasts be pickedup.

EC

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
My understanding is that only local stations and major national or regional networks (CTV, Global, CBC, TVO and similar stations) are authorized for free carriage.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts