Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/transcripts/2003/tb1021.htm

Looks like Expressvu, who's now trying to renew there license for the next 7 years, got $hit on badly by the CRTC, who said they may only renew there license for a shorter term, until the piracy problem is taken care of. CRTC requested a full card swap in the next 18 month and wants ExpressVu to file reports on the progress. Wow there really not happy with ExpressVu. This was 1 year ago... so I guess the card swap will be in the next 6 month....

Read the CRTC report and start at line 3364

3372 In short, the conditions that we propose for Bell ExpressVu cover the following points.

3373 One, the licensee has the responsibility of implementing and maintaining security for all its signals, and to replace signal security systems, equipment and components upon expiry of their useful life or their obsolescence, whichever happens first.

3374 Second, the licensee has the responsibility to implement and maintain direct control of the conditional access process and to ensure that authorizations are tied to customer accounts with defined attributes.

3375 Three, the licensee has to implement and maintain control and audit procedures and report annually to the Commission.

3376 Four, the licensee has to implement the PRISM system, a full smartcard swapout within 18 months and a recurring ECM program, in line with its own commitments made during the CRTC process on signal theft.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmmmm...it seems that all the not-so liked anti-piracy policies everyone likes to complain about is to fulfill CRTC regulations.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
shaner said:
Hmmmm...it seems that all the not-so liked anti-piracy policies everyone likes to complain about is to fulfill CRTC regulations.
those people will still find a way to blame Bell about it somehow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
971 Posts
CRTC and ExpressVu

Perhaps the answer is obvious (loss of tax revenue?), but why does the CRTC care about theft of ExpressVu signals?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Because some competitors of BEV complained they lost paying subscribers to BEV piracy. PK Peladeau of videotron was one very vocal competitor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
"Satellite piracy is an illegal activity that strikes directly at the integrity and competitiveness of the Canadian broadcasting system and the industry's ability to offer new, innovative services to Canadians," said Minister Rock. "The Radiocommunication Act must be strengthened to better deter pirate dealers who view current penalties as merely an acceptable cost of doing business. We are drafting these changes in order to protect the jobs supported and investments made by the broadcasting industry, which have evolved to provide more competition and choice for consumers."

http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/welcomeic.nsf/cdd9dc973c4bf6bc852564ca006418a0/85256a5d006b972085256d970071a36b!OpenDocument

·
Registered
119 Posts
Question:
Why is the government seeking amendments to the Radiocommunication Act?

Answer:
Satellite piracy undermines the integrity, competitiveness and viability of the Canadian broadcasting system and places Canadian jobs and investment at risk.

Satellite piracy is not a victimless crime. It denies Canadian artists and broadcasters millions of dollars in revenues and contributions to programming production funds. Satellite piracy endangers jobs.

The unauthorized reception of DTH satellite programming denies Canadian broadcasters, distributors, artists, and producers millions of dollars each year. Industry research shows that there could be up to 700,000 users of unauthorized DTH services in Canada and a loss of subscription revenues of about $400 million annually.

Satellite piracy amounts to unfair competition, particularly in small communities across Canada where cable companies and video store rental outlets have a much smaller customer base.

Satellite piracy can also imperil public safety. The use of pirating devices has been found to create signal interference with communications systems used by airline, search and rescue and police services.

Many Canadians who acquire pirated equipment after being misinformed by black market dealers that it is legal, risk losing their investments at any time because satellite companies continually find ways to disrupt or cut off unauthorized users. Duped consumers are at risk of getting stuck with useless equipment. Consumer protection laws do not apply to the purchase of illegal goods.

Industry stakeholders have informed us that black market activity represents significant transactions worth many millions of dollars. In virtually all instances, these sales are not declared, and are therefore, not taxed by the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, representing a substantial loss in tax revenue to the Government of Canada.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf01968e.html

·
Registered
669 Posts
LOL....We recently had some contractors working at our home....

....one dude took a look at our StarChoice dish & commented that he gets his satellite stuff for free via ExpressVu!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
what the CRTC (or any level of government for that matter) should focus on is stiffer penalties for those who are stealing the service...don't punish the provider, punish the criminals...and enforce the rules...that is the problem.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Bellworker said:
what the CRTC (or any level of government for that matter) should focus on is stiffer penalties for those who are stealing the service...don't punish the provider, punish the criminals...and enforce the rules...that is the problem.
You constantly outline the number one issue with Bell whenever you reply to these threads. The problem is Bell constantly refuses to take any responsibility for anything. You constantly say it is someone elses fault and eventually is summed up by everyone is a theif. I am so sick and tired of these comments!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
dirtyjeffer said:
If Bell is making it too easy to steal their service then they are also partly responsible. They have to make an effort to ensure that their signal is not easilly stolen. Now don't get me wrong, the people who are stealing the service are also at fault but I suspect that a lot less people would be stealing satellite signals if it were more difficult to do.

·
Banned
198 Posts
I agree it does cost some $ to swap outdated cards etc...look at DTV in the US. Since they officiall went to the P4 I think the # of illegal users when to ooo 0! at least until the new P4 card is hacked, but it doesn't sound like its to easy.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Uwish said:
I agree it does cost some $ to swap outdated cards etc...look at DTV in the US. Since they officiall went to the P4 I think the # of illegal users when to ooo 0! at least until the new P4 card is hacked, but it doesn't sound like its to easy.
NOT 0 since people are splitting their subscription... There's more then ONE way to pirate!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Diamond said:
You constantly outline the number one issue with Bell whenever you reply to these threads. The problem is Bell constantly refuses to take any responsibility for anything.
I don't know about that. Thier stringent anti-piracy measures indicates BEV recognizes they have a problem and are taking steps on their end to correct them. The fact that the new receivers, starting with the 6100, do not have a smart card is a huge step in them admitting the old system left them open to vulnerabilities.

What Dirtyjeffer is saying is that the CRTC's focus has been on forcing BEV to tighten things up, when the CRTC is doing nothing about those people who choose to steal the signal in the first place. It's a 2 way street.

·
Banned
198 Posts
splash,

I agree and I sit corrected at my zero estimate however, you must admit that the majority of people ripping DTV were not splitting their service they were down right "taking" it. I know of at least 10 people who were ripping DTV and who are now ripping BEV since DTV replaced all the old H cards with this new P4. I do admit that there are still others who are doing excactly what you suggest. Maybe now, we will see those numbers increase since the P4's seem so difficult to crack.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it will be the same for BEV, The new cards have not been cracked yet so until they are, people will just do account splitting (and yes there's ways around the phone calls from bell). I know of at least one person that was "stealing" DTV that is now "Stealing" BEV. Wonder what system he's go next in a few months....

shaner :

The CRTC has nothing to do with the consumer... That's why we have cops... The CRTC is there to regulate the companies, not the public.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know what the CRTC's mandate is, Splash. What I'm pointing out is the double standard. People go "Yay" for the CRTC cracking down on Bell and telling them to tighten up. And people go "Booo" to the RCMP for enforcing the law of the land and prosecuting the people who choose to pirate the signals.

·
Banned
739 Posts
shaner said:
I know what the CRTC's mandate is, Splash. What I'm pointing out is the double standard. People go "Yay" for the CRTC cracking down on Bell and telling them to tighten up. And people go "Booo" to the RCMP for enforcing the law of the land and prosecuting the people who choose to pirate the signals.
since when does the law of the land allow for the rcmp to prosecute people who pirate signals?

1 - 20 of 340 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.