Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if the CRTC ruling for the Sats will have the same outcome for Cable Companies like Rogers, Cogeco, etc.

My belief that the Cable Companies should carry all Canadian Affliates giving the customer/consumer the choice to watch what ever channels

Like for example Rogers removed NTV from lineup, NTV is in the process of Launching NTV HD Rogers should carry a Newfoundland channel

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
It has absolutely no effect on Rogers, Cogeco or any other non DTH BDU.

The whole point of the decision is to insure that all Canadians have access to their local stations no matter which provider they choose. It has nothing to do with making all channels available to all customers.

With Rogers, the need for out-of-market locals is quickly disappearing because much of the content can be accessed on video-on-demand. This is probably why Rogers removed several locals last year.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Wonder if the CRTC ruling for the Sats will have the same outcome for Cable Companies like Rogers, Cogeco, etc.
Rogers (at least in Mississauga) already carries the local GTA stations and several more from across the country. However, most of them are currently 4:3 SD, with 3 HD channels from the left coast. It'll be interesting to see if anything happens with all those SD channels come Sept. 1.

However, my understanding is that many satellite customers didn't get any local stations and this is an attempt to fix that. In another thread, people have said OTA should be used, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to see NTV come back as well...

I wonder why a lot of the regs that apply to one type of carriage mode don't apply equally to all?

Originally I went to sat because of channels not carried on catv

- Bill H.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Satellite and CATV cable are technically and historically different. Satellite, in Canada, was based on the premise that they can beam every available channel to everyone in Canada. That was accomplished for the most part but a few local stations were left out and they suffer financially due to that omission. The recent ruling is meant to correct that. It's not the first time that DTH satellite providers have been told to do this.

Cable is based on the premise of extending the reach of a local OTA antenna. As such, they provided virtually every signal with 100 miles of a particular location. That model has changed over the years but it's still basically true for OTA channels.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yES ntv was removed in Ontario which sucks. Alot of people watched it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts