Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2011/01/16/16908776.html

The federal television regulator is looking at ways it can stop Canadians from going deaf by listening to loud ads during their favourite TV programs.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has received hundreds of complaints from the public who are outraged they need to reach for the remote control each time television advertisements appear in order to reduce their seemingly louder volume.

U.S President Barack Obama recently signed into law the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act (CALM) which instructs the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the CRTC’s American counterpart, to ensure commercials are only as loud as the program during which they air.

The CRTC currently recommends Canadians tell their TV service provider when they notice louder television ads by noting the date, time, channel and program or commercial they are watching.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
About time... this drives me bananas. Some channels are worse than others.

BBC Canada on BEV is HORRIBLE with this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
From the article:

The CRTC currently recommends Canadians tell their TV service provider when they notice louder television ads by noting the date, time, channel and program or commercial they are watching.
Oh yes, because that will accomplish so much.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's not just the amplitude that makes commercials annoying. They also adjust the EQ. The human ear is very sensitive to the frequency of 2.8 kHz. That's where commercials boost the EQ, to "get your attention". Ever notice how some commercials are especially more grating on the nerves? So, it's not just turning down the volume, it's also to quit messing with the EQ.

Really, if they want you to sit down and watch the commercial, best way to do it is to stop annoying the viewer who will immediately hit the mute button on the remote.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just record the programs I like and fast forward through all of these obnoxious commercials. But I think there should be something done to address the volume levels, it's bloody ridiculous.

·
Registered
954 Posts
SD commercials are usually a lot louder than HD ones. Most US networks only show HD commercials now during HD broadcasts, but Canadian networks haven't switched all commercials over to HD yet, as a lot of Canadian companies don't seem to shoot their ads in HD.

·
Registered
543 Posts
About bloody time! It hasn't been quite as bad as it used to be, around 1998-2003, back then it was like being assaulted, it's slowly eased off since then, but still, this is common sense: You want people to pay attention and buy your products? Don't blast them with it so loud that they're too annoyed(angry?) to even wanna consider what you're promoting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also another good reason for a PVR - I don't watch live TV anymore.

Therefore no more TV commercial "SPAM" (audio assault & visual nonsense)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't watch many commercials other than during live sporting events, fast forward thru commericals in TV shows. The volume doesn't drive me as nuts as the frequency the same commercial is played. I really don't need to see the same commercial 30 seconds after it was last played and then of course it gets played twice every commercial break they take. I wish they would restrict the playing of a commercial to once every 30 or 60 minutes. Note to advertisers, when I see the same commercial over and over and over in a short time period it makes me NOT want to purchase any of your products which is likely opposite of what you believe. I'm sure volume and frequency are just strategies for mind manipulation over us rats.

·
Registered
175 Posts
RE: " latency of 2-5 seconds usually when changing channels"

I have 2 Bell sat boxes
The non-PVR model (older) - it has a very noticeable latency
The PVR model (newer) - hardly has any at all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Volume of Commercials CBC

The only channel that we have volume difficulty on commercials is CBC. It is particularly bad when they are advertising their own programs. At times it is unbearably loud.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What did you say? Are you talkin' to me?

The louder the commercials are, the easier it is to hear them from the kitchen. Most people (except for my Mother it seems) don't watch commercials and just flip to another show, FF through the commercials, or leave the room for a moment. Commercials NEED to be louder because only idiots (and my mother) watch the commercials because they are afraid that they won't flip back in time to continue watching what they flipped away from (if you are watching live TV without a PVR). The rest of the "normal" people don't watch commercials except during the Super Bowl (if you watch the pure US feed of course).

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ... the show is back on and it's very quiet again ... BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ... Crap! I'm going to the kitchen to get some more Spam.

By the way, I happen to have one of those noisy Heating/Air Conditioning units that comes with my Apartment and each time it turns on, I have to raise the TV volume and then lower it once it stops. I often just shut the damn thing off completely (the Heater not the TV) and put on a jacket like an Eskimo might (I love Edmonton) -- Oskee WEE WEE -- sorry, but I only know the Hamilton chant and it explains why their uniforms are yellow/gold.

Stop the whining and just buy yourself a noisy heating/air conditioning unit. After a few 5 minute cycles of the thing turning itself on and off, you'll get used to raising and lowering the volume on your TV and will realize how silly you all sound ... not that I can hear you that well because my hearing isn't as good as it used to be before I moved into this damn apartment!

I also stopped watching TV and now only watch DVDs. This way, I can just pause the DVD until that noisy Heating/Air Conditioning unit stops. I don't know what I'd do without the pause button (and what's the point of watching a Megan Fox movie without it? ... I know, too much information).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts