Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CRTC last week gave permission to six Canadian specialty television stations, owned by CTV, to begin producing a high definition version of their respective channels.

The federal regulator gave the high definition (HD) go ahead to CTV Newsnet, Business News Network, MTV Canada, The Comedy Network, travel+escape and Outdoor Life Network.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Doesn't Rogers own this in its entirety now? I thought with the changes to Outdoor Life that CTV and Versus were bought out. I guess they could still have a programming arrangement with Versus still. Actually do they (OLN) even have a web presence anymore?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
From the info I have, we'll probably see MTV HD launch sometime in the next 6-8 months. MTV US is going HD very soon, and probably 2/3 of their current schedule is produced in HD. Many shows have been shoot in HD for the past 2-3 years.
On the Cdn side, MTV Live, The After Show & MTV Quick Chats (that air during commercial breaks) moved to HD well over a year ago. Though MTVN doesn't have any equity in MTV Canada, they have an extremely extensive PSCA & JVA.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
just because it is approved does not mean the carriers are forced to provide the channel...

It is only part 1 in a looooong process.
The idea is not to launch an HD channel but to forestall the development of a similar themed channel by a competitor. It is too bad the CRTC doesn't set a time limit after which if new channel hasn't been launched the CRTC would throw the door open to others.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
They do, kind of. If a company wishes to obtain a licence for a channel, and a similar channel has been licenced, but has not launched, the CRTC will inquire if there are any plans to actually launch the channel. The company must show some type of proof if they do plan to launch it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The idea is not to launch an HD channel but to forestall the development of a similar themed channel by a competitor.
Shrewd business decision, lousy for consumers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Newsnet and Buisness News in HD what a waste! Why do you need that just so you can tell what kind of weave is in the news casters jacket? Most of the incomeing news stories are going to be in SD anyway. The others I can see but not news channels

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Newsnet and Buisness News in HD what a waste! Why do you need that just so you can tell what kind of weave is in the news casters jacket? Most of the incomeing news stories are going to be in SD anyway. The others I can see but not news channels
Have you watched the news shows on HDNET? HD makes even bad news more palatable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts