Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-393.htm

In regard to the dispute between Bell Media and TELUS, the Commission determines that, on balance, the TELUS final offer is the appropriate choice. Accordingly, the Commission directs the parties to execute the TELUS final offer affiliation agreement by no later than 25 July 2012.

In regard to the dispute between Bell Media and the CIDG, the Commission determines that Bell Media’s final offer is the appropriate choice. Accordingly, the Commission directs the parties to execute their respective Bell Media final offer affiliation agreements by no later than 25 July 2012.
The CIDG includes Bragg Communications (Eastlink), Cogeco, MTS and the Canadian Cable Systems Alliance Inc. (CCSA).

The exact details of the agreements weren't released; however it looks like BDUs will be able to carry the HD versions of Bell Media's specialty channels that have been in limbo pending this dispute.

It isn't clear how the agreements will change the way channels are priced or bundled. It seems Telus will be able to continue bundling the channels the way they do currently. The CIDG BDUs have to accept Bell Media's agreement, which may be the same as the other BDUs have signed or offer a little more flexibility in order to be acceptable to the CRTC.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
So, the decision went in Bells favor. Now, can the agreements get signed and lets move on. This decision seems to affect everyone except Rogers customers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The CRTC chose Telus over Bell, hopefully good news for us Optik users. It will be interesting to see what these creative and innovative pricing and packaging options for consumers are.
Now bring on SpaceHD and DiscoveryHD damn it!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Not sure how a dispute over specialty fees leads one to the conclusion that consumers will have an option of pick and pay. Such is the headline on Sympatico, BNN, (part of Bell Media) and also indicated by the head of Bell Media himself. It almost appears to be a well orchestrated media response to the CRTC ruling which in itself does not say much about pick and pay or consumer choice. CEO of Bell Media also refers to previous rulings that cable/dth providers have not implemented. No way is anyone going to reduce the millions of dollars paid each month by subscribers or reduce the hugh profits made on those fees. Interesting to note that one comment seems to be paving the way for more increases........"single channels would cost more than packaged channels) Is that not the false rationale that consumers have been told for several years. Not sure that it is a win-win for everone as the history of subscribers fees, etc, have never been in favour of the consumer since day one.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Although I am sure that details of these agreements will remain confidential for business reasons, I wonder what it was in Telus's proposal that enabled them to win their case, vs the CIDG proposal, which turned out to be a losing one. Something " tipped the balance", so to speak. One thing that I am happy to see is that the agreement will be executed quickly, and Eastlink will have to sign before the 25th of this month.

I sure hope that Eastlink, one of the members of the CIDG, follows through and carries the missing Bell HD channels.

·
Registered
442 Posts
if you read the decision you'll see that CIDG balked at some aspect of paying for back carriage (interest maybe?) and DQ'd their final offer - telus followed the standstill agreement rules and was accepted

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
In Quebec, Videotron offers pick and pay. A idea they took from Look TV.

Now Bell has dropped the theme packs and is offering pick and play as well to compete with Videotron. Also both Videotron and Bell here offer pre-assembled packages.

The difference beteen Videotron and Bell is that Videotron allows you to pick from their complete lineup where as Bell has a selected group of channel where you can pick channels individually.

If one company comes out with pick and pay others will follow I think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am thinking that true pick and pay will never happen as I assume the CRTC will still demand that the basic package contains certain channels (including ones that broadcast in languages I dont understand but am forced to pay for.)

If I could just pay for the 15 channels I watch I would be very happy but I do not see that happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Really not sure how people can spin the Bell win over the smaller distributors as being a positive thing. They wanted strong restrictions on how their channels could be packaged and offered to customers, and got it. Bell pointed to their deals with Rogers (and Bell TV) as being market rate deals and said the smaller distributors wanted to pay less than market. Well, you and I both know what the large players who own lots of channels - Bell, Rogers and Shaw can sign inflated deals with each other to bump up the market rate. Then the guys who own no channels get stuck with those excessive rates and there's no quid pro quo.

This is not a win for consumers.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You see it. I see it. But the media does not see it (for a reason) and most certainly the CRTC chooses to ignore it.

This kind of ruling has allowed Bell to own the distribution network, local stations, national networks, newspapers, specialty channels, etc...etc..

Lets face it. Bell runs the media and telecom in Canada.

Screw the consumer. Approved by the CRTC with a rubber stamp.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
It's not just an owned media, it's a lazy media. The Toronto Star's reporting on this story basically took the line spewed by Bell and ran with it. It's incredibly lazy and sad. None of Bell, Rogers or Shaw are their masters, but they still can't be bothered doing their jobs.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I don't see any real change here.

Bell Media isn't going to change they way they offer channels outside Quebec.

Rogers Media are going to do the samething.

Same with Shaw.

Shaw owns Shaw Cable & Direct so they won't want to lose subs on channels they own on their system.

Same goes with Rogers, they own Rogers Cable and don't want to loose subs on channels they own.

Same goes with Bell Media via BTV & Fibe TV

Same goes for Videotron via TVA Group.

This is I scratch your back you scratch mine(Rogers,Bell,Shaw,TVA Group).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm kinda thinking that maybe this idea is obsolete now, sort of like what happened to BluRay in the face of digital media steamers. I think the idea of "a la carte channels" is now (or soon to be) over, to be replace with "a la carte TV shows". Why subscribe to the whole channel when I only watch one or two shows on it?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
A portion of content is live, so really cannot be easily sold like programs.

Content owners may require TV subscription as a pre-requisite for accessing the online content, like for HBO-Go and some of Hulu Plus.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The TV providers do offer pick and pay for certain channels now at $2.00/2.50 per channel like Telus (Not HD).

I think that what the article is saying that if you picked all the channels off a package that it would cost more, i.e. 5 channels at $7 packaged or $10 if you pick individually. So you pay the $7 if you watch 4 or all 5 of the channels.

I guess if you could cherry pick just the 15 channels you watch, you could get them for $30 - $40 instead of paying for 9 packages - that is never going to happen!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts