Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC denies WNED subchannels on cable

12K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  cj47 
#1 ·
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-106.htm

Personally I agree with Rogers on this one - there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to carry the sub-channels of WNED Buffalo. If anything, I think the CRTC has encouraged more viewers to ditch cable/satellite.

#2 ·
Rogers noted that households capable of receiving digital over-the-air television signals already have access to ThinkBright on an over-the-air basis in many parts of its cable service areas in Ontario, and that awareness of the service is growing.
The growth of its awareness is partly due to the OTA forum on this site! :cool:

#4 ·
^^^^
They did the same back when Ch 23, WNEQ was the 2nd PBS station in Buffalo. I had to buy a set top UHF antenna to receive it. Back in those days, I could look out my living room window and almost see Buffalo.

#5 ·
This is exactly what started me OTA about 15 years ago when some of the buffalo stations were not available on Rogers and got a liitle antenna to get them.Think bright has more original programming then many and has no advertising and should be allowed atleast in southern ontario.

#6 ·
I like this one...
Certain intervening parties submitted that non-Canadian multicast services like ThinkBright could cause further audience fragmentation and, in turn, a reduction in advertising revenues for Canadian services.
Doesn't that imply if the Canadian Broadcast TV industry provided some Canadian Multicast services, they would INCREASE advertising revenues?
Brilliant concept...Wonder why they haven't thought of that?

#7 ·
We won't see Canadian broadcasters providing ad free OTA sub-services. If anything, they will be an ad plus subscriber fee supported specialty channel. I for one, think that all children's programming should be ad and promotion free. If anyone is letting the people of Ontario down on this one, it's the Ontario and federal governments who fail to provide enough funding for the likes of CBC and TVO and then refuse to let Canadians receive what programming is available from other sources.

#8 ·
This is just another stupid decision by the CRTC. There is absolutely NO reason to deny this channel. Also why can't the CRTC at least give Rogers the choice of adding WNED-DT2 (Think Bright) and removing WTVS Detroit entirely from the Toronto line-up?

I would really like to know what intervening parties were against this channel being carried. I can see an argument from TVO but any commercial broadcaster (including the CBC) should have no issues with this channel.

#22 ·
This is just another stupid decision by the CRTC. There is absolutely NO reason to deny this channel. Also why can't the CRTC at least give Rogers the choice of adding WNED-DT2 (Think Bright) and removing WTVS Detroit entirely from the Toronto line-up?

I would really like to know what intervening parties were against this channel being carried. I can see an argument from TVO but any commercial broadcaster (including the CBC) should have no issues with this channel.
Because Roger's wants the channels for free

#9 ·
There are some children's specialty channels that might object. I would guess they don't like the concept of PBS providing the same type of programming for free that they charge several dollars a month for in a bundle. It's not about programming dilution. Canadian broadcasters just don't want to lose their cash cow.

#10 ·
I would really like to know what intervening parties were against this channel being carried.
It says exactly who if ya read it. I don't remember exactly, but I think the same groups that cry foul about everything up there. Like a broken record.

#12 ·
ditto, seems like the crtc only has a part time website?
You'd think the bdu's up there could donate some bandwidth for 'em
to keep it up 24/7.
Or maybe that's by design, so the avg joe can't browse thru their activity during their
time off?

#13 ·
Interventions

Thanks to Google cache:
The Commission received interventions in opposition to the application from the Directors Guild of Canada, Canwest Television Limited Partnership, Pelmorex Communications Inc., and the Independent Broadcasters Group. It also received interventions offering general comments from the S-VOX Group of Companies, Score Media Inc., the Canadian Film and Television Production Association (now the Canadian Media Production Association), the Writers Guild of Canada, and ACTRA National.

#15 · (Edited)
Actually, there was a notice at the top of the page that displays the current days' releases. In this case, on Thursday and Friday it mentioned that the site would be not available from Friday evening to early Monday morning or thereabouts. They often do maintenance during the daytime on Saturdays.

So, yes, a notice was posted. :)

Now, as to the carriage of WNED's subchannels, I don't have any problem with 'em. What's really bizarre is here we get PBS HD from Detroit on Cogeco... WNED is SD only.... That one I still can't fathom..... The fact that WNED OTA is as strong as CBC is beside the point... :)

Cameron

#17 ·
They don't have any interest in Kid's programming. It is the concept of sub-channels (US ones at least) on Canadian BDUs they do not want, becasue some are weather channels, which would be competitive with them.

By denying any US sub-channel, it would not set a precidnece where other sub-channels would be allowed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.