Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Customers around here notice. Bell has spent close to zero dollars on improvements in this neighborhood for the last 15+ years. At that time, improvements were made only due to road work that required replacement of existing infrastructure. As a result, almost everyone subscribes to cable internet, including directly from Rogers.

It's notable that Rogers has lowered its prices to compete with TPIAs which has made internet service much more affordable. That hasn't appeared to have affected Rogers' ability to improve service. The CRTC's new rates are based on actual costs, which includes network improvement. If TPIAs can take those cost based rates and provide internet at a reasonable markup, so can the incumbents. Gouging at the retail level is rampant in Canada and has been for decades. It's obvious in the retail prices of incumbent ISPs and their sister companies.

I find it interesting that the incumbents response is to lower infrastructure investments. I call BS. It's a ploy, a directly attack targeting the government and CRTC on their stated long term goal of rolling out high speed internet to all Canadians, especially those in rural areas. Maybe they should take a look at inflated CEO salaries, high profits and aggressive expansion tactics that have often resulted in huge losses due to overpriced acquisitions.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
but nobody is interested to take notice how much those companies are spending on improvements or new infrastructure.
Many years ago, I worked in planning at Unitel and part of my job was creating cost estimates. I knew how much the equipment cost and the labour and materials to install it. Some systems I put in were around $250,000, though $50 - 60K were more typical. This was back in the early '90s.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Canadians must love destroying their own companies like Kinder Morgan pipeline, SNC Lavalin and now big telcos to name a few.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Canadians don't need to destroy the big telcos. The telcos themselves are doing the job by overcharging and alienating customers. That's why the CRTC got involved in the first place. If the CRTC didn't exist and our only choice was Bell, we would be paying over $100/mo for a landline and $2/min for long distance to towns just 20 miles away. I remember paying $3/min for long distance to a location just 10 miles away in 1980's dollars. Some people had to pay long distance rates to houses on the other side of the road due to being on a different exchange.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Exactly, and the once that are fed up with Canadian government getting involved telling them what to do and how to run their business just move to the states.
When telcos asked CRTC if they could step up the fight against pirates so they stop losing millions of dollars every year, CRTC said no because some of the pirates might actually get upset and change their mind next election.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes I guess they will abandon the obscenely profitable business they have, to go to a place they will not have a hope of making money. That makes sense they cannot just take their ball and bat and go home if they do not like the rules. Sorry about their poor hard done by luck them scumbags can rot in hell for as far as I am concerned with their thieving ways. I think most here are of the same opinion and your shilling for them will do you no good.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
When telcos asked CRTC if they could step up the fight against pirates so they stop losing millions of dollars every year, CRTC said no because some of the pirates might actually get upset and change their mind next election.
That's BS too. The CRTC refused because the proposed implementation violated net neutrality rules and didn't follow Canadian legal precedent.

·
Registered
636 Posts
and the once that are fed up with Canadian government getting involved telling them what to do and how to run their business just move to the states.
Malarkey, Bell, Rogers, Telus etc can't compete in a highly competitive marketplace like the US. They are molly coddled oligopolies.

Case in point TextNow, a Waterloo company with over 200 employees are prevented access to all the major Teleco's cell towers because they offer a competing service for a much better price, but in the US they have over 10 million PAYING customers, because Teleco's there aren't afraid of competition and see them as a revenue stream. The CRTC has not forced Canadian Teleco's to allow access to Textnow on their existing infrastructure, thereby preventing a CANADIAN company for being able to offer CANADIANS a better service at a lower price.

Canadians are poorly served by these anti-competitive Teleco's, we pay the highest rates for services amongst most of the G-7 countries.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-wireless-2018-prices-1.4956728

Spouting off ignorant corporate talking points does a disservice to all Canadians. Canada needs more competition.

P.S. Fongo, another Waterloo based company offer a similar service as described here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wireless-phone-plan-save-money-bills-1.5049041

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Exactly, and the once that are fed up with Canadian government getting involved telling them what to do and how to run their business just move to the states.
Yes, the coddled oligarchs of Canada are going to abandon their cushy government protected racket to go compete in the US. They would get utterly destroyed if they tried.

Give me a break. Price gouging in Canadian telecom is the status quo, and it has little to do with investment. They invest when competition forces them to, which is also when they lower prices.

·
Super Moderator
56,806 Posts
It wasn't that long ago that Verizon? was given the opportunity to come to Canada and compete. They looked at the Canadian market and decided there wasn't enough money in it to make it worthwhile.

If you look at the overall profits of the telecoms, they are not that much different from many other corporations - being lower than some and higher than others.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
You know, you may have valid points to discuss, but when you post stuff like this you're going to be written off as a quasi-troller.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Regardless of how much the ISPs spent on that infrastructure, it's ultimately a public good (since we can't have eight companies ripping up roads and lawns) and needs to be regulated like any other utility. Personally, I'd like to just seize all their assets and turn them all into crown corporations like SaskTel, but that would probably be poorly received by shareholders. As would having the government set out the prices they are allowed to charge consumers. If your solution is to try to create competition in the marketplace, this is really the most free-market solution possible.

It wasn't that long ago that Verizon? was given the opportunity to come to Canada and compete. They looked at the Canadian market and decided there wasn't enough money in it to make it worthwhile.
That was wireless and not wireline. And Verizon never actually said why they declined to purchase Wind and Mobilicity, though while profit potential was almost certainly the ultimate decision-maker, a very public collective PR effort from the incumbent carriers to turn people against the move likely played a factor.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Speaking of Wind, the former oversees partner, who had a major role in creating the company, owns or has interests in mobile phone companies around the world. He commented that Canada was the worst country he had ever tried to business in at about the same time he sold his stake in the company. That doesn't reflect well on Canada nor does it bode well for future competition in the Canadian telecom industry.

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
Is this related to the recent bill increases at Teksavvy? And if yes do you think they will cancel the price hikes? For example, my 30/10 Internet bill went up ($10) 18% to $63.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It's related but it is back in front of the CRTC. Who knows if they will come down with same decision.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Teksavvy folk on reddit say the big guns have 60 days to appeal to the Supreme Court. Money is no issue, so I’m not going to be surprised if it happens. Best case for users/Canadians is the Supremes refuse to hear their arguments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,114 Posts
Telecom Decision CRTC 2020-342

The CRTC approves requests by Bell Canada and by Cogeco, Eastlink, RCCI, Shaw, and Videotron to stay the implementation of Telecom Order 2019-288 regarding final rates for aggregated wholesale high-speed access services until the Commission completes its review of that order.

"99. In particular, the Commission considers that its determination to stay the implementation of the final rates established in Telecom Order 2019-288 (i) will result in no change to market conditions that have been in place since 2016, providing stability in competition and investments in the high-speed Internet service marketplace; and (ii) will ensure the rates for aggregated wholesale HSA services are properly reviewed to ensure they are just and reasonable."

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
TekSavvy is Not Pleased. The Liberal government must fire CRTC chair Ian Scott

In 2017, the Liberal government appointed Ian Scott, a former lobbyist for Telus, to head the CRTC. Now it’s time they fire him – which is precisely what TekSavvy is today asking the government to do.
Scott’s CRTC just released the most anti-consumer, Big Telecom-friendly decision in the regulator’s history, scrapping its own 2019 decision to lower wholesale internet rates and guaranteeing that the prices Canadians pay for internet service – already among the highest in the world – will continue to rise with no end in sight.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts