Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under the new policy, the CRTC will require that community members must be involved in the creation of at least half of a community channel's programming. This means that the original idea for a program must come from members of the community, who must also be involved in some aspect of the production, whether in front or behind the camera.
Additionally, at least half of a channel's programming expenditures will have to be devoted to this type of programming, as well as to community outreach initiatives and the training and development of volunteers.

Given the significant changes to the policy, the CRTC has determined that the new requirements will take effect on September 1, 2014.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is a 'back to the future' sort of thing. What this policy seems to decribe is what community channels were back in the 70s.

I volunteered at such a station back then and it was an excellent introduction to broadcasting. It also provided a great reflection of the community.

We pioneered Neighbourhood Programming back then. One must remember, however, that the moms and dads didn't have video cameras then, so there was actually a market for kids soccer, hockey and baseball games, school concerts, etc.

Still, I believe that what is being put forward in this policy reflects the original intent of the community channel.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Wayne's World, party on, excellent! :D

The spit-and-polish of present day cable community channels is far and away quite different than what they were in the '60s and '70s, and I applaud that the CRTC sees a need to return to that.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Finally the CRTC did something roight,

I'm tired of seeing shows from the Toronto community. If I wanted to see events and stuff like that from Toronto I would move and live there.

I know there are plenty of things that go on in Ottawa Community but Rogers won't come out and record and show them because there showeing things from Toronto,London annd other places outside the Ottawa market.

example Goldberg Live whats that got to do with Ottawa?

Here a few things that Rogers could do in the Ottawa market

Bluesfest the largest Blues(actually more Rock Muisic now)in North America. Show that
Jazzfest the second largest Jazzfest outside of Montreal in Canada show that

CHEO Hope Volleyball Tourment the largest in the world show that, but they don't and show a Car Fix Up show from Toronto.

I could go on with other shows

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I haven't watched a lot of the local Guelph channel ( done by Rogers) but it does seem to have a fair amount of truly local programming; council meetings, local restos and so on. We also get lectures from the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo. I'll be annoyed if this new/old policy loses those 'cos they are not quite local enough.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Tom Green got his start with Rogers Cable in Ottawa. The show became so popular that The Comedy Network picked it up. He just had to be crazy enough to submit a show proposal to Rogers Cable.

I just wish more Canadians were that crazy. It would give us some real Canadian content choices instead of the boiled pablum force-fed to us by the so-called "Canadian" networks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts