Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Samknows Whitebox

I got an email from Rogers today inviting me to sign up for "broadband speed testing" by using the Samknows Whitebox. One of the perks is "while being in the program, you will have unlimited data".

Is there anyone on here registered with the whole CRTC program? And if so, is it truly "unlimited data", or is it that they just don't count the data used by the Whitebox against your usual limit?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I jointed the CRTC Samknows program over a year. But I am with Telus in Alberta. There is no way for your ISP to know how much data the whitebox used in a month. ISPs just give you unlimited data for you and the whitebox.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Wait, so although Shaw tells me I have 1TB of bandwidth usage per month, because I have a Whitebox it won't really matter? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've had one of those for a while. I don't recall unlimited data though. However, I've never gone over my data cap.

There is no way for your ISP to know how much data the whitebox used in a month
Sure there is, it's called a MAC address. The box is between my modem and router. However, I don't know the details of how this program works.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ive had the box since they started in canada, when I signed up they advised me that the usage from the testing would be free. they are probably told what ip address they are sending the test to and they take it off. not quite sure how it works as i have unlimited usage but anyone can sign up.

https://www.measuringbroadbandcanada.com/

in the faq
The effect on your monthly data cap will be slightly different depending on what ISP you are on. If you are on Northwestel, then the usage on a fixed-broadband 10x1Mbps connection will be around 1.8GB/month; on a 20x5Mbps connection, around 3.3GB/month; on a 50x5 connection, around 6GB; and on a 100x10Mbps connection, likely around 12.2GB. The amount that's downloaded is speed dependent (so a slower connection will use less traffic than a faster connection).

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Has anyone noticed their ISP showing higher than normal usage? On Rogers, I'm averaging over 4 GB per day and it's pretty consistent, even on days I'm not home. According to my firewall logs, I'm using less than a GB most days.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That is pretty bad. I have a 60/10 package from Rogers and generally get significantly better than that, as confirmed by both Speedtest & SamKnows. My issue is that the test data was included in my data usage to the point I was getting warnings about approaching my cap. I called Rogers and it turns out that since they didn't ask me to do the test, I'm responsible for the data used. I have since disconnected the box and will see if I can reflash the firmware, to take it back to a standard TP-Link N600 router. SamKnows does not want it back.

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Has anyone noticed their ISP showing higher than normal usage? On Rogers, I'm averaging over 4 GB per day.
Per the FAQ/Link in post 25, there is additional usage, however, yours is higher than estimated in the FAQ. Also, people on the test should be receiving unlimited allowance at no charge.

Are you sure nothing else is happening in the background like software updates, cloud storage, etc. Lots of people who see more usage than expected have these sorts of issues with background updates/storage occurring without knowing.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
^^^^
Quite sure. A few weeks ago, I configured my firewall to log traffic and it was seeing only a fraction of what Rogers showed. I was also showing fairly consistent levels, even on days when I wasn't home. On Friday evening, after talking to Rogers, I disconnected the box and my traffic for the day dropped significantly, to about 3.5 GB. Yesterday, the first full day without the box, showed only about 600 MB, compared with about 4.5 GB I was averaging before I disconnected it. So, yes that box is using several times the data I use. Rogers said I'd only get unlimited if they asked me to do the test. Since they didn't, I'm on my own. I have now disconnected the box.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
It sounds like Rogers is trying to skew the test data in order to rig the results. For a truly valid sampling, participants should be chosen at random and Rogers should not be allowed to ask people to take the tests or even know who they are. Not sure if the CRTC would be interested but I would be tempted to inform the CRTC of their Rogers' efforts to influence the survey. At least we now know how Rogers became ranked as the fastest ISP in Canada. They rig the tests. :eek:

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^^^^
Well, with or without that test, I generally get better than advertised. Also, several years ago, the CBC did a comparison of ISPs. With that test, Rogers came out on top and Bell on the bottom. IIRC, Bell failed the test, because they couldn't even finish it.

Now, to figure out how to convert that box back to a Wifi router. The instructions I've found on the web don't seem to work.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I'm not saying Rogers is a bad ISP. They do a very good job here. And yes, Bell does a very bad job. I switched to cable because the DSL here couldn't even stream standard Netflix reliably. I'm just saying that allowing ISPs to influence surveys or tests invalidates the findings.

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
CRTC seeks the participation of Canadians to test home broadband Internet speeds

The CRTC is coordinating another round of tests with SamKnows Whiteboxes.

Participants from the first phase will be contacted to indicate their interest in being considered for participation in this new phase.

At this stage, the participating Internet service providers's include Bell Canada, Bell Aliant, Bell MTS, Cogeco, Northwestel, Rogers, Shaw, TELUS, and Videotron.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I've actually kept my Whitebox since the initial tests. Handy for diagnosing ongoing network issues when my modem was flaky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is fun!

My Fiber Optics plan is from CIK Telecom, but CIK is not in the list can I participate in? I am pretty satisfied with 890-910m download speed for my 1000m plan so far!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts