Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with the test, as described here. I recently received the box, which looks just like a router with WiFi. I connected it up and let it run. They provide a link where you can see your results. So far, I haven't seen a single instance where the bandwidth drops as low as what I'm paying for. I have a 60/10 plan on Rogers. The sustained download ranges between 64.6 and 67.2 Mb/s and sustained upload, 10.76 & 10.91. The highest download burst was 88.9 Mb and upload burst 10.95. So, it appears I'm getting a bit better than I'm paying for with Rogers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is yours missing any test results?

I have noticed that I am not always getting tests done on the 2 hour window and some days I have missed up to 3 or 4 tests. For example I had a test at 6pm July 15 and the next one I see graphed was at 4am on July 16. Then every 2 hours until noon when it stopped again.

I am on MTS but I don't know if the ISP would make any difference.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^
I haven't noticed, but then I haven't checked. Looking at the latest results, it appears the tests are run every 8 hours, 12AM, 8AM & 4PM. I still haven't seen the sustained upload & download drop as low as I'm supposed to get. They're always better.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went to speedtest.net and here are my results. I wonder if Rogers made some "adjustments" after I started with this program.

BTW, I have only a 100 Mb switch on my network.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just received my first "report card" today.

My results (in Mb/s) are:
Downstream Speed Burst - 87.94
Downstream Speed Sustained - 65.28
Upstream Speed Burst - 10.86
Upstream Speed Sustained - 10.86

This is on a 60/10 plan, so I am consistently getting better than I pay for.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
My upload sustained speed is slightly lower than what I'm paying for, but otherwise my connection has been slightly better.

I really hope ISPs aren't using some sort of QoS to prioritize packets for those with whiteboxes, though I almost wouldn't put it past them! ;)

It's pretty neat to see the statistics though (both on the report card and when logging in manually)

Sent from my Golden Zenfone 2

·
Registered
360 Posts
I live in Mannville, Ab. I have Xplornet 4G Satellite Internet. These are my results tonight during a heavy rainfall. The best I ever get on a good clear day is a ping of 750 ms and a download speed of approx 5mbps. There is no better option for me out here. I've had MCSNet and Wildrose Internet. Until we get fiber optics high speed I have to suffer with this crap. I wouldn't recommend Xplornet to anyone!

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

·
Registered
309 Posts
i've had mine for a couple months now and the test will only run if there is no activity passing trough it. it will not do the test so it does not affect your internet speed and mess up the results. hence why you will see periods where there are no test.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and a download speed of approx 5mbps
WOW!!! That's really moving. It would take you 200 seconds to download one bit! ;)

I received another report recently. My best sustained download was 95 Mb/s, with average a bout 65. This is on a 60/10 service with Rogers.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Majority of Internet service providers deliver speeds above their advertised rates

The results of a first-ever national, independent study on broadband performance in Canada issued by the CRTC, confirm that Internet service providers (ISPs) largely meet or exceed their advertised download and upload speeds.

Participating ISPs included all the main wireline service providers in Canada, with the exception of Sasktel, which declined to participate.

Canadians interested in participating in next phase of the project are encouraged to submit a request at Measuring Broadband Canada. In addition to the ISPs who participated in Phase 1 of the project, the CRTC is engaging with the following ISPs for Phase 2: Distributel, Nexicom, Primus, Teksavvy, VMedia, and Xplornet.

Related products

·
Registered
636 Posts
I still maintain this test was completely useless. Whatever happened to the blind test?

As long as the ISP's knew their service was under scrutiny you can bet the farm that they would have seen to it that their speeds exceeded the package a customer pays for. Call me cynical if you wish, but based on past (9 years) experience with one of these ISP's, I never once achieved the posted speeds for the package I was paying for. BTW, my speed tests were done ahead of my router for accuracy.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Speeds I've gotten with Shaw are in line with what I've seen others posting on similar plans. I do have the SamKnows device.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as the ISP's knew their service was under scrutiny you can bet the farm that they would have seen to it that their speeds exceeded the package a customer pays for.
I'm on Rogers and my Speedtest results were pretty much the same as before the test. I normally get mid 70s or better download and almost 11 up, on my 60/10 package.

I do have the SamKnows device.
Me too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a wireless service provider for my home internet access; High Speed Crow, in Manitoba. Would this qualify for the test? Might consider doing one if so... I have a commercial account with them for 10Mb/s, often only get 1Mb/s or even worse in the evenings.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I think this is only covering wired broadband, i believe?

As there are too many factors otherwise for wireless... wired they can more likely guarantee signal strength, etc... wireless, its all dependent on your location, distance, etc from the tower. Could never guarantee speeds.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts