Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
New channels

Stingray Digital Group

Stingray Festival 4K
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-44

Telus Communication Company

Ride TV
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-45

I can see Stingray Festival 4K ending up on Shaw in a few months.
I see Ride TV ending up on Telus IPTV service in a few months.

As for the other providers its anyone's guess.

·
Registered
737 Posts
^
Yeah Shaw just came out with new equipment, BlueSky, with no 4k support. I had a long discussion about it on the Shaw forum and they have no plans for 4k.

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
In the past, WJBK could be chosen by an individual provider as their local FOX affiliate as part of their licence. Now, that it is on the authorized list, any provider can choose it as their one local FOX affiliate, without having to go to the CRTC to amend their licence.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
For those that speak Spanish or are from Spanish Heritage/ Background.

InsightEdgeINC

Star HD & Canal 24 Horas

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-196 | CRTC

Don't speak Spanish, but I can get these 2 channels via my Android box. Took a glance at both, not band, some interesting movies, not sure what they where saying, but some inters ting movies that are uncit or edit for TV? :surprise

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Because not too many people want a big dish on their house and not everyone lives in a house. Most apartments and townhouses do not allow big dishes to be installed.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
That's just it. There are too many restrictions on FTA dishes and signal sharing that would let MDU owners, condo owners or other groups share equipment and signals. That allows BDUs to gouge customers for signals that should be free or next to it. Never mind that BDUs were instrumental in creating many of the laws and restrictions that deny access to free FTA signals.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Any TV service licensed for carriage in Canada is subject to CRTC regulations, including IPTV services. Such channels are often geo-blocked to comply with those regulations. While there are ways of circumventing restrictions to access channels that are freely available in other areas it doesn't mean the restrictions no longer exist or don't apply. It just highlights how Canadians get screwed over by archaic regulations that were created to benefit Canadian BDUs.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I can't comment on other providers, but more then likely Bell Fibe will pick these two up at some point. Perhaps Rogers as well as these two seem to carry the most ethnic services.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who says anything about piracy. If it's available by the more troublesome outdated FTA way or through OTT service like Roku (which I have fallen in love w/), why pay $7 to Rogers for Las Estrellas when I can get it for free.

My problem is how third-language channels licensed are operated. 2 different styles:

Ethnic Channels Group &/or ATN - Asian Television Network plainly suck at opperating these channels.

1.) Pick up the foreign feed & insert cheap & lazy Toronto-centric poor quality, often-repeated programming overtop the original channel's schedule.

2.) Create an original Canadian-based channel & make the same crappy ethnic programs w/ same problems as in #1.

My goodness, the world of broadcasting in Canada already seems to revolve around Toronto, Ontario. Watching either channel type #1 or #2, you'd think there's no ethnic population in Montreal, Vancouver or even Calgary! I'm not paying for this junk in problem 1 or 2.

So option 3.) A 24/7 foreign feed like Greek Cinema, Las Estrellas or CineLatino... w/ no Cancon inserts. That goes back to the point of the last few posts here: Why pay a BDU when you these channels when you can get them free FTA or OTT? CRTC rules are archaic & favour the BDUs & Ethnic Channels Group/ATN duopoly.

So I'm have no guilt for denying that ATN funds to rerun that Hindi prayer service w/ a single camcorder shot afar somewhere in Toronto.

161 - 180 of 231 Posts