Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Canadian Radio - Television & Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) should allow Shaw Broadcasting Services to replace Peachtree TV (WPCH-TV) Atlanta, Georgia with Warner Media's U.S. Cable Channel TBS for distribution off satellite through Shaw
Broadcast Services. I read on the Shaw Direct Satellite forum on Digital Home as of April 30, 2020, Peachtree will no longer be
available for distribution off satellite through Shaw Broadcast Services. I think Shaw Broadcast Services should replace Peachtree TV/WPCH-TV from Atlanta, Georgia with another U.S. Superstation WKBD -TV from Detroit, Michigan via Shaw Broadcast Services and WWOR-TV New York that is listed in the CRTC's list of Part II and Part Eligible Sattelite services of non-Canadian service. On January 1, 1998, the TBS national feed – although continuing to operate as a superstation by technicality – began operating under the conventions of a basic cable channel. At that time, the Turner Broadcasting System began to collect subscriber fees (averaging 26¢ per subscriber per month) directly from cable and satellite providers that had previously paid a 30¢-per-month licensing fee to Southern Satellite Systems for access to the TBS signal and a 10¢-per-month copyright fee to a federal copyright tribunal (which, in turn, paid the fee directly to program distributors) for rights to carry its programming. The additional revenue was intended to be used for programming acquisitions, particularly rights to first-run theatrical films. In exchange, TBS began to lease two minutes of advertising time per hour to multichannel subscription television providers to allow them to locally insert commercials catering to viewers in the provider's service area; as a result, the channel began to broadcast fewer Atlanta Braves regular season games to a national audience, under amended contractual agreements between Turner and Major League Baseball in conjunction with the league's cable-originated rightsholders, ESPN and Fox Sports Net/Liberty Sports, to allow TBS to continue carrying Braves telecasts nationwide.

In late June 2007, the Turner Broadcasting System announced that WTBS would change its callsign to WPCH-TV, and would be rebranded as "Peachtree TV". The rebranded channel 17 would offer sitcoms and movies geared specifically toward the station's Atlanta audience, and would also broadcast 45 Braves baseball games starting with the team's 2008 season. The change occurred on October 1, 2007 with the national feed becoming a separate cable/satellite channel that retained the TBS name. In addition, the channel 17 changeover allowed Atlanta-area cable and IPTV subscribers – including those of Comcast and Charter Communications – that previously were only able to receive WTBS's local Atlanta signal to begin receiving the national TBS feed for the first time since the early 1980s. (Despite the separation of TBS and its former Atlanta parent station, some local television listings publications have continued to refer to the channel as an Atlanta station in their channel charts and/or by that station's former WTBS call letters in said charts and as an identifier in listings grids.) Following the change, Canadian subscription television providers were legally required to continue carrying the local Peachtree TV signal, instead of switching to the national TBS feed. Beginning with the 2008 season, TBS began airing Major League Baseball postseason games, with regular season baseball coverage expanding to include games from other MLB teams.

In November 2009, TBS debuted its first late-night talk show, Lopez Tonight, hosted by comedian George Lopez. One year later, the channel expanded its late-night offerings with the November 8, 2010 debut of Conan, after TBS struck a deal to give Conan O'Brien a show on the channel on the heels of his controversial exit as host of NBC's The Tonight Show. Lopez Tonight ended its run on August 12, 2011, after it was cancelled due to a steep decline in ratings. In 2011, TBS also obtained a portion of the television rights to the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship – which it shares with Turner-owned sister channels TNT and TruTV, along with the tournament's longtime over-the-air broadcaster, CBS.

During the first quarter of 2012, TBS's viewership in the 18-49 adult demographic beat all other advertiser-supported channels, in spite of the fact that TBS did not air any original programs in prime time during that period nor had it aired a show among the 50 highest-rated cable programs. The channel's third late-night talk show, The Pete Holmes Show, debuted on October 28, 2013, hosted by comedian Pete Holmes (like Lopez Tonight, it could not capitalize on Conan as its lead-in and was cancelled in May 2014).

On May 14, 2015, at the Turner Upfront presentation, president Kevin Reilly announced a major shift within the next few years for TBS and TNT. The expanded development slate would see TBS feature more original live-action comedies, original animated series, more late-night talk shows, and lots more of "big unscripted ideas with attitude". One of the first success stories out of this effort was the satirical news series Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, hosted by the former correspondent for Comedy Central's The Daily Show (which served as a basis for Full Frontal's format).

A new logo – which was previously revealed on social media 1½ months prior on September 16 – made its official debut on the evening of October 31, 2015. The new idents, which feature the logo being formed into different shapes, objects, structures and surroundings (such as a gravestone, a flag on a submarine sandwich, and a monster eating the former logo, etc.) are all somewhat similar to the same idents and techniques used by MTV from the 1980s until the early 2000s and by VH1 during the early and mid-2000s (both owned by Viacom).

The AT&T era
On October 22, 2016, AT&T announced an offer to acquire Time Warner for $108.7 billion, including debt it would assume from the latter; the merger would bring Time Warner's various media properties, including TBS, under the same corporate umbrella as AT&T's telecommunications holdings, including satellite provider DirecTV.[79][80][81][82] Time Warner shareholders approved the merger on February 15, 2017; however, on February 28, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai announced that his agency will not review the deal, leaving the review to the U.S. Department of Justice.[83][84] The merger also resulted in the full separation of TBS from former parent station WPCH (this time by ownership) in an effort to expedite the AT&T–Time Warner merger, when on February 20, 2017, the Meredith Corporation – which had assumed operational responsibilities for WPCH from Turner/Time Warner in January 2011 to form a virtual duopoly with CBS affiliate WGCL-TV (channel 46) – announced that it would acquire WPCH-TV's license assets from Turner for $70 million. (The sale of WPCH to Meredith received FCC approval on April 17, 2017, and was finalized four days later on April 21.)

On November 20, 2017, the Justice Department filed a lawsuit against AT&T and Time Warner in an attempt to block the merger, citing antitrust concerns surrounding the transaction.[95] The proposed merger – which had already been approved by the European Commission and Mexican, Chilean and Brazilian regulatory authorities – was affirmed by court ruling on June 12, 2018, after District of Columbia U.S. District Court Judge Richard J. Leon ruled in favor of AT&T, dismissing the DOJ's antitrust claims in the lawsuit. The merger closed two days later on June 14, with the company becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T under the renamed parent company WarnerMedia. The U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington unanimously upheld the lower court's ruling in favor of AT&T on February 26, 2019.

On March 4, 2019, AT&T announced a major reorganization of its broadcasting assets, in which WarnerMedia's television properties would be divided among three divisions within the WarnerMedia umbrella. TBS, along with TNT, truTV and HBO would be reassigned to WarnerMedia Entertainment. The move would effectively dissolve the Turner Broadcasting System umbrella as part of a wind-down of the Turner name from the reorganized parent company's corporate structure. AT&T did not specify any timetable for the changes to take effect, although WarnerMedia had begun to remove all Turner references in corporate communications and press releases, referring to that unit's networks as "divisions of WarnerMedia

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
As far as I know WWOR & WTBS are still on the CRTC approval list. I'm not sure on how many of the Former "Superstations
WWOR New York
WPIX New York
WSBK Boston
WTBS Atalanta
WGN America Chicago
KWGN Denver
not sure of any other "Super Staions? how many a provider is allowed to carry?

as for Peachtree & TBS there are two different channels.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
WTBS doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for years anywhere. It's WPCH-DT and had been for at least 12 years.

Canada never had the U.S. cable channel feed, we've always had the OTA version of the service.

KSTW from Seattle and WUAB from Cleveland are also on the list of authorized services but are probably just carried on systems that can receive the OTA signal at the local head-end.

WWOR is only on a few systems and I don't believe anyone carries KWGN from Denver.

My prediction: by 2022, most if not all providers will end up dropping these signals. Almost everything they carry can be found on Canadian and US broadcast stations.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
WTBS or TBS does exist. My friend has an android boo and he gets it he also get Peachtree and both have different programming.Yes there a few shows on both bit WTBS or TBS does exist.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
WTBS or TBS does exist. My friend has an android boo and he gets it he also get Peachtree and both have different programming.Yes there a few shows on both bit WTBS or TBS does exist.
Yes, I know TBS does exist. My point was that "WTBS" hasn't existed since 2007. WPCH (then WTBS) and TBS are two different services, the first is the OTA broadcast channel in Atlanta and the second a US cable TV channel.

@dm_4u, you are right. I hadn't noticed it was missing in the earlier list.

This is the list from https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm.

• KSTW Seattle
  • KTLA Los Angeles
  • KWGN Denver
  • WGN Chicago
  • WUAB Cleveland
  • WPCH Atlanta
  • WWOR New York
  • WPIX New York
  • WSBK Boston
  • WHDH Boston
As for carriage limits, I'm not aware of any. It doesn't mean there isn't one, but it isn't easily found.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Canada never had the U.S. cable channel feed, we've always had the OTA version of the service.
That's actually not correct. For much of the 1990s and early 2000s, the signal carried in Canada was TBS Superstation NOT the local Atlanta feed. Prior to Shaw Broadcast/CANCOM, TBS Superstation was primarily picked up by C-Band. CANCOM/Shaw Broadcast carried TBS Superstation until approx 2002 when they replaced it with WTBS Atlanta. Bell ExpressVu carried the local feed of TBS from 1999 onward.

Same is true with WGN. Most cable companies picked up WGN Superstation via C-Band until CANCOM started distributing the signal. CANCOM/Shaw Broadcast distributed WGN Superstation until January 2007 when they replaced it with WGN Chicago. I believe Cogeco never picked up the local feed of WGN on its standard definition lineup and opted to drop WGN entirely when they could no longer source WGN Superstation.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was wrong.

I forgot about the TBS of the 90s where everything ended and started on the 5 and 35 minute mark. We had it in NB and it was the superstation feed that our little dinky cable system picked up from the Galaxy 5 satellite. How could I tell? Sun transit time when CNN, A&E, TNN, then later, WGN would disappear at the exact same time for a few minutes each day for a few weeks. They added WGN a year after TBS and it was the Chicago feed to the best of my knowledge since it had the local Chicagoland newscasts. It made the Detroit news seem pretty tame.;)

Cogeco had the local Chicago feed in HD and the superstation version in SD and dropped both when the superstation one was no longer available. Dumb move IMO, just downconvert the HD version that you already had to the SD spot but what do I know.

Anyways....

We should try to get back to our regularly scheduled topic...:grin

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
WGN Superstation carried the newscasts up until at least the early-mid 2000s. It even carried the WB programming lineup from 1995-1999. I don't think WGN Superstation carries any of the local feeds programming these days. I know they stopped carrying the white socks and cubs games long before the local feed lost the rights.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
When the superstations were first added (1980s?) it was the satellite feed. At that time the "superstations" were just satellite carriage of the terrestrial OTA stations and were not affiliated with any networks. Programming later changed on the satellite feeds and they became separate stations. The OTA stations became affiliates of smaller US networks such as CW. Canadian BDUs kept carrying the satellite feeds for some time even though only the original terrestrial stations were licensed for carriage. At a later time, Canadian BDUs all switched feeds from the satellite feed to the OTA stations. Not sure why this was done but I suspect it was to save costs as Canadian BDUs can pick up the OTA signal essentially for free but would need to negotiate a fee for carriage of the, now separate, satellite stations. There are other technicalities such as copyright agreements which would be more difficult to manage for a specialty satellite station and the actual carriage licensing in Canada. Those issue could be overcome but I doubt Canadian BDUs were interested.

The larger Canadian BDUs, in general, are not interested in carrying US stations because they conflict with Canadian stations owned by the same parent companies. That was different when BDUs and broadcasters were owned independently. At that time, BDUs were constantly trying to add new US specialty stations but Canadian broadcasters were trying to block them. Now that most BDUs and broadcasters are owned by the same few broadcasting conglomerates, there has been a slow but steady removal of US specialty networks and OTA ststions from TV packages.

221 - 231 of 231 Posts