Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I can't really comment on what each provider offers their subs for ethnic services, that I can only say there are only perhaps two or three major providers that own ethnic channels or rights to the programming along with odd individual owners.
Soundview
Ethnic Channel Group
ATN(Asian Television Network(Group))
OTN(Odyssey Television Network
Bell
Shaw

Are the main players.

I don't know what each provider charges for their ethnic channels but on average its anywhere from $3 to $20 for individual channels or any where from $5 to $50 for Ethnic Channel packages(anywhere from 3 to 20 channels in a package).

I don't know what the ethnic break down is in Canada for various cities, that I don't know, but I'm guess those in the western cities may have a higher ethnic pop from Asia/South Asia, while those in the East may have more from Europe/Middle East & Africa, but thats only speculation on my part.Whic ever the case maybe its expensive for those ethnic service, when you add other packages to them.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
The world of TV in Canada doesn't revolve around damn T.O.
Unfortunately, it does. It's the most profitable TV market in Canada and is also home to the greatest number of national advertisers. Besides Vancouver and Montreal, nothing else comes close. Advertising revenue for small and medium sized market stations has fallen drastically due to the invasion of multinational big box retailers and other large corporations that have driven traditional local advertisers out of business.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
America One News Network (OAN) is closer to Fox News than CNN. It describes itself as a conservative news organization and is pro-Trump.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I’ve been watching OAN for over a year now and it’s like a breath of fresh air. It’s more central than left or right and as I’m a registered independent it’s definitely more balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Glad to hear that. It isn't hard to be more balanced than some of the far right "news" sources that currently exist. Some of them are little more than right wing propaganda organizations financed by billionaires to advance their own business agendas. They are so rich, a cable news station that promotes their own interests and points of view is little more than a line in the advertising budget. Meanwhile, traditional news organizations that try to be balanced can't get enough advertisers to maintain a full staff. Starving competing organizations with points of view that opposes theirs is the way the 1% want it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
By the reminder paragraph it would seem that these channels aren't shutting down just that they are going to run them as an exempt service. The number of subscribers to these channels probably means they don't have the number that requires them to hold a licence. Less regulatory burden but they still must adhere to Closed Captioning requirements.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I find the reminder paragraph to be somewhat ironic. The license is revoked but the broadcaster must still adhere to the licensing requirements. It then goes on to say that the CRTC is not sure what to do next but they'll find something. What are they going to do, take away the license again? Just what is an exempt undertaking exempt from if they must still follow license regulations? :confused:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It's now an exempt service, if you read the decision. It probably doesn't have as many subs as the other channels.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Lewis Birnberg,Hannet LLP

Revel TV

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-233.htm?_ga=2.47099425.724215624.1562102593-83807384.1561504196

Not bad, not bad, but I dought anyone will add it.If providers want to expand their 4K options other then sports, they need to start adding channels like this and other previous approved 4K channels to their line up, other wise 4K will be in limbo, because its going to be along time before we see network shows in 4K full time on all the networks all the time especially in Prime Time.

Now grant you I'm not sure how 4K is actually filmed or done and if it needs different type of recording cameras or not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
And 2K is still pretty much the standard for post-production. Pretty much all the big special-effects extravaganzas like the Marvel movies are still finished at 2K. Though all Netflix productions are now 4K.

201 - 220 of 231 Posts