181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Odssey Television Network(OTN)

Star International
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-334 | CRTC

Ok? :confused: This one doesn't make sense? This channel is already available and its been on Bell fibe for at least 2 years now was already sponsored by I believe it was either by Soundview or Ethnic Channels Group not sure which. So I'm not sure was going on as the channel is still on 2762

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
This one is interesting. The programming will be from Canal + and 100% from France (for expats, like myself) yet this request received no intervention from Canadian programmers. When RFO (SPM 1ère) was approved, it was so opposed by Quebec broadcasters such as TVA. (Maybe because the rules are different since it’s received via OTA)

I already subscribe to the real Canal+ via MyCANAL however this is something I look forward to seeing and maybe subscribe as long as the price is reasonable and offered in Ontario as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
The CRTC approved licences for the following channels that had been operating as exempt services with less than 200,000 subs.

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-29 | CRTC

Stingray Juicebox provides music video and related programming for pre-teens.
Stingray Loud provides music video and related programming focused on rock and related genres.
Stingray Retro provides music video and related programming from the 1980s to the early 2000s.
Stingray Vibe provides music video and related programming focused on urban music.

Web site: Stingray Music Videos | Stingray

----

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-26 | CRTC

Vintage TV Canada - "The service will provide a national, English-language discretionary service devoted to “vintage” music and music-related programming, including programming featuring musical artists and sounds from different decades."

Web site: https://vintagetv.ca/

Available on Rogers, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
By reading the description, it sound like a nice channel, I would probably watch it if it's was available on Rogers.
When I first read the channel name, I thought it would be a channel sort of like the old BPM:tv with a Geordie Shore twist focused on dance music, DJs, and the club scene.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
I can't comment on other providers, but it seems that in most case Bell Fibe and Rogers to some degree picks up the majority(not all) of the ethnic channels(non Canadian/US)licensed by the CRTC? At the present time Bell Fibe has over 250 Ethnic channels, while Rogers isn't that far behind.

I'm not sure as to why other providers besides Bell Fibe & Rogers don't pick up these services. I understand Bell SAT & Shaw Direct are limited in Bandwidth, but not sure of why other cable companies don't :confused:

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Cable companies have limited bandwidth as well. That can be overcome by using fibre to the node (FTTN) or fibre to the home (FTTH) technology but not all cable companies are doing so. Rogers and Bell have not yet upgraded all their customers either. It's often a matter of cost and return on investment.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
Many of those will be switched channels, only on the cable when someone is actually watching them. Also, with the move to IP, all channels will be on demand. With the multicast used for IP distribution, a channel will only be on the cable when requested and only on those segments where requested.

I expect some channels won't be on the cable that often. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The ethnic channels are a big business for the cable companies - they just need to re-transmit the signal and get big $$$ for them compared to other channels.

As a cable provider, if you can sign up a customer to a full English or French package, plus an ethnic package (or two or three depending on the language), that's an easy $150 to $200 on just TV services alone. Add in a few boxes, internet, phone, etc...no wonder there is a race to get these channels added and out to the limited consumers that would want them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't stand Ethnic Channel Groups Canada. To the point that if it isn't a 24/7 uninterrupted channel (like TLNovelas), I won't watch it... even during a free preview. EC inserts '80s US cable access quality Cancon & most infurriating-- has productions done by & for T.O. audience & insert ads for that areas businesses. It's as if they are too clueless &/or too lazy to realize their are minorities in other Canadian cities... even metropolitans like Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa & Montreal.

The world of TV in Canada doesn't revolve around damn T.O. Besides, why pay a Canadian cable/sat/fibe provider when OTT platforms like Roku have the channels in a modern-day FTA satellite for free (New Tang Dynasty, which gets you US east & west feeds, as well as Canada).

181 - 200 of 231 Posts