Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you missed this bulletin from November 18, the CRTC approves NHL Network HD and other three specialty channels owned by Stornoway (The Pet Network HD, ichannel HD, bpm:tv HD).

How about launch date of these four HD channels? We'll see if anyone contact CTVglobemedia and Stornoway to ask when will they launch.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Stornoway? Do we get to watch Mr. and Mrs. Ignatieff? I've never heard of them before. What is their speciality?

·
Banned
364 Posts
Most of the programming, sure. Except, you know, the actual games.

NHL Network in the US shows the HNIC games. I have NHL Network on Cogeco but I'm fairly certain they don't show those games. Do they actually broadcast any games in Canada? The channel is mostly useless (much like NFL Network).

MLB-TV in the US has got it right, they feature games all the time, even if they're on other networks. That's a model that should be followed by other sports (NBA-TV is good that way too).

·
Registered
689 Posts
There are maybe a couple games a week on NHL Network Canada, but they're usually the Hurricanes-Blue Jackets kinda games that barely anyone here is interested in.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have both versions. They are not the same. Like mentioned, the US version shows HNIC on Sat. night, the US shows a few more games a week than the Canuck version and the classic series type shows are not only Canadian teams near as much. NHL on the Fly is the same though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's about time they got the ball rolling on NHL-N HD. I don't watch any live games on the channel because I have CI but it would be great to watch highlights in HD. I also enjoy Classic Series and Classic Games.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Who's Next To Be HD?

With the recent launch or about to launch HD channels recently

IE

RDS2
TVA Sports
Bravo
Food
HGTV
Discovery
Space
TWN
Much
Musique Plus
Musique Max
W
not sure if the french Metro Media is in HD or not?

In any case my perdictions for the next batch of HD channels by Decemeber 2012 will be on the air(not sure on which providers these will be on), but I see this;

MTV HD
CMT HD
Slice HD
BNN HD
Comedy HD
That new Movie Channels HD
Discover Science HD
Animal Planet HD
Discovery Investigations HD
That Travel HD one
E! HD
FoxNW HD
BIO HD
Dusk HD
Sundance HD
Action HD
Diva HD
MFest HD
MRPIX HD

any others you think might be on DEC/2012?

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
HD or not to be HD

Its been brought up if such and such a channel should be HD. Thats depends on each individual opinion.

True certain channels appear suited for HD

IE
Sports
Movie Channels
Regular Networks.

Then they "Specialty ones". This is where you mainly get different of opinions which is fine everyone's entitled to their opinion.

So do we really need to see News in HD? Maybe Yes Maybe No?
So do we really need to see Music Videos in HD Maybe Yes Maybe No?
So do we really need to see Cartoons/Anime in HD Maybe Yes Maybe No?
So do we really need to see>(fill in your channel/theme here)< Maybe Yes Maybe No?

The thing here we all have different views on what should be HD and in what 'format', and that fine, but what it comes down to is this:

1) you get the channel(s) you like in HD
2) that your provider carries it.

Basically thats what it boils down to.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would like to see PlayboyTV, PenthouseTV and HustlerTV in HD :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts