Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-327 handed down yesterday, the Commission approves an application by CTVglobemedia Inc., on behalf of its subsidiary CTV Television Inc. for a broadcasting licence to operate an English-language transitional digital television station associated with CFCN-TV Calgary.

The applicant proposed that the station simulcast the current analog programming service of CFCN-TV, with the exception of up to 14 hours per week of programming that would not be duplicated on the analog service. The digital undertaking would operate from the existing CTV Calgary tower on channel 36 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 124,000 watts.

The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what it means!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Picture Quality is the priority

If you are in range of CFCN-DT don't complain about the simsubs until you've seen a show like CSI in OTA HD compared to whichever other HD method you are using now.

I forgive and forget the simsubs in the name of that wonderfully beautiful picture quality! THAT is the priority :) Besides, does anyone actually watch commercials anymore? (PVR owner's sarcasm)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The station will have to be live before any simsubbing occurs and they can only simsub an HD signal with an HD signal so it will be a while, probably just before the Superbowl!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I live pretty close to you (Cranston). With CFCN planning to operate at 124kW and there being no natural barriers between us and Broadcast Hill, reception shouldn't be a problem.

By comparison, in Toronto CBC HD covers the city with 38kW and CTV HD with only 17kW.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
CFCN is broadcasting on digital channel 120-1. When I hit info it says it's broadcasting in 1080i.
So this must be OTA and not just via cable?? Although it could be cable, because on channel 94-1 I get the HD fire log. All this OTA stuff is new to Calgarians. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
^ I think this question should be in the thread stampeder noted above your post.

However, to answer the question, I haven't seen any repeaters doing HD in Canada yet. So you will probably have to wait a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to view this channel using a Bell 9200 receiver and its OTA tuner?

Using the menu to scan channels turns up zero digital ones. I should be able to receive the channel; I have clear line of sight to the tower!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts